Thread: People with BIG dogs and babies...

People with BIG dogs and babies...

So Zoeys is now crawling I need advice is there anything I can do other then locking Mercedes up to prevent injury to Zoey?? Mercedes spends most of her day on the couch aside from her run and walks shes a dane alright and its not that I dont trust her its that as soon as there is a knock at the door she runs full tilt knocking over anything in the way she is 100 lbs. I am nervous she'll step on Zoey for now she has to be put away when zoey is on the floor

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

I'll let Lady's Human weigh in when he sees this, but all our big dogs were far more aware of where any baby was than the baby was aware of the dog. And that includes our kinda mentally slow(er than even a normal Dane) 3/4 Dane mix, Gracie, who weighed 140 pounds. Our dogs were never restrained or kept away from babies, and we all - nieces and nephews included, have lived to grow up okay!

The only thing we had to be careful with was not letting babies pull themselves up using the doggie's delicate skin.

To say Lady is rambunctious would be an understatement. .She is a handful when dealing with adults, but around the human puppies she is VERY careful. The only thing we really had to deal with was her warning nips when MJ got old enough to be mobile on two feet.

The biggest thing we've had to be careful with is the children's behavior around the dog, not the other way around.

Fozzie, who is 4 months old, is very very careful where he steps when my neices come over (one is 9 months and crawling, the other is 2 years old and talking & walking ). You should try keeping Mercedes tethered at first to be sure you can trust her. If you can't, it definitely is better to baby-gate her into a room or crate her for brief periods than risk her accidentally knocking the baby over.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

i dont have kids..but i do have a dane
    malakai LOVES kids, i mean he absolutly adores them, he will lay on the floor, and let my friends young children crawl all over him, it i the cutest thing, malakai is still very much a puppy, but he still seems to sence the babies innocence and is very very gentle, he even tip toes around them when they are on the ground, all 137lbs of him. Danes are obviously big dogs, and just a quick body turn can leave you with a bruised leg, but as long as you are supervizing, there shouldnt be a problem, its important that both the dog and the baby learn to respect each other (and each others space) early on.

I have a 90 lbs (8 year old) boxer and an 19 month old son. I can understand you concerns. I was concerned not only about size but also the age of my dog (maybe not being very patient with my son). They are fantastic together. As the others have said, the dog should be more mindfull of the baby. Thor will walk all over myself, hubby, and our 8 year old son. When it comes to the baby he is very gentle and in most cases stays completely out of Cameron's way. Have you tried putting Zoey and Mercedes down together? If not try it, you will be able to judge Mercedes reactions to Zoey. I agree with Karen, try not to let Zoey take advantage of Merceds (I would be afaid of a nip from having her fur pulled). Good luck

Tyson I miss you
    You will always be in my heart