Thread: We want to build a "cat seat" by the window...

We want to build a "cat seat" by the window...

How would I do this? My cats love sitting on the ledge and it's pretty funny to see 2 much less 3 sitting there.
    I can get carpet samples, large, 3 for $5. What else do I need?

~~~Rachel in Alaska
    Mom to "Max, Milo and Pepper Ann" 11.5 month old Teenagers

http://www.pbase.com/alasknmom/kittens/
    updated 10/30/02

I don't know about this one, unless you can build some kind of self.

Let us know wht you decide.

Actually, we bought just such a shelf at a pet store, we got it for a pattern to see if my grandfather could make more.

Its particle board covered with removeable carpet, so can be washed. It has two legs below that screw into the shelf, and go to the wall for support. It attaches to the window sill by velcro.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

I bought two of that general type. The standard shelf is in the bedroom and the hammock fleece type (works the same way, but spongier in the middle and harder to clean) in the computer room. Other than the center support, they are very similar in construction. You'll probably prefer that the lower legs just rest on the walls, not attach to it...

You might try some of the on-line cat supply places and see what they offer and design yours based on what appeals to you and compliments your decor.

One of my favorite sites for browsing (warning: adorable but EXPENSIVE! ) is AngelicalCat. They don't have window ledges but cat entertainment units designed to fit under windows that cats can sit on when they are not otherwise using it. Just visited it: they don't have the cat pirate ship any more (pout). You might have fun seeing what they build and if it gives you any ideas.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

I found a picture, its not the one we have, but it shows the general idea.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

Rachel, if you want to make a simple lair, then all you will need is a piece of 3/8" plywood, appx 18" x 8" square and secure it into the windowsill by using 3, 2" dry-wall screws. If you want to cover it with padding, then secure the padding under the plywood first, before attaching it to the windowsill. If you want to make a window box, something they can sleep in, but the sides not high enough to keep them from looking out, you need to attach sides to the plywood, (without placing the padding on it.) The sides should be made of wood, appx 3/8" to 1/2" thick and about 3" to 3 1/2" high. These side pieces should be thick enough to place at least 2 , 1-1/4 " drywall screws in them through the bottom of the plywood to secure them to the plywood. For the box's padding, you can use a piece of pre-cut carpet or a folded towel.

Any type of windowsill box that is more fancy than this simple example would require more tools, time and material. The only objectionable factor with the one just described is that it attaches directly to the wood in the sill (assuming that there is wood to attach). As far as painting and staining, personally I would not do either. To match decor of your home you could simply sand down the wood before assembling the box or cover it with matching carpeting.

For tools. you will need a saw, and a phillips screwdriver and probably a sander. Sometimes, if the wood is brittle, then it is a good idea to drill small holes in the wood where you are going to insert the drywall screws. This keeps the wood from splitting, when you tighten down the drywall screws.

........wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 05-18-2002 at 06:48 PM.

Thanks so much!! When I get back from Canada Im making one for my room where they love to watch the birds and bugs...

~~~Rachel in Alaska
    Mom to "Max, Milo and Pepper Ann" 11.5 month old Teenagers

http://www.pbase.com/alasknmom/kittens/
    updated 10/30/02