Thread: Vocal Boxer/Mastiff Mix !!

Vocal Boxer/Mastiff Mix !!

Mack Must be Heard...

He doesnt bark all the time , Although I noticed just having him on his lead out in the yard, even when Im in the garden , he will bark the whole time until I go to him, Which I do not want to make a habit out of, because then he will think it is a game. When we lay down to go to bed he will bark at us if we do not let him in the bed .

Any Suggestions??
    Is there a way I can get him out of this habit ?

The Barking is getting worse...

Seems Mack is showing his true colors.

We got Mack June 29th 2006
    The Transition went remarkably smooth. He listens to most commands, except when Outside and off leash. He is a bit stubborn. I think it is a breed trait.

The barking though has gotten worse, and he nips as well. Seems to me if he doesnt get his way, for example. Yesterday my BF and I were on the couch wathcing tv, while I was cooking supper and Mack wanted to play rough with my BF whom just got home from work. He started barking insanely and the started nipping at his hand. So he told him no. and of course that didnt help.

Mack is a great Dog other than the nipping and barking, he has even nipped at my daughters, if they tell him to stop barking he will run at them and nip at them as if to tell them no i wont. Such personality.
    I cant leave him alone on the lead while in the garden in full view of me without non stop barking the whole time, and I dont even know the proper command to use to teach him to stop.

Can someone please give me some suggestions as to what to do.

It seems like you and your family are punishing Mack only halfway. When you verbally reprimand him, do you ever dole out consequences? If not, Mack knows that if he persists enough, he'll get what he wants. In the same sense, even negative reinforcement is positive reinforcement in this situation. Mack wants your BF and so nips and barks at him. BF says No and I would imagine probably started swatting Mack or some similar action. That, in itself, is positive reinforcement for Mack to continue nipping/barking.

Instead of arbitrarily rewarding Mack's behavior, do NOT give any reinforcement whatsoever when he is doing an undesirable behavior.

For nipping, you have two methods:

1. When puppies were young, they learned bite inhibition through each other. Whenever a littermate bit too rough, the pupppy would yelp. The rule was simple: play nice or leave. You can mimic this by yelping "OUCH!" loudly every time Mack bites and if he backs off or sits, praise and treat. And, if desired, you can shove a chew toy in his mouth.

2. Give absolutely no reinforcement when Mack nips. When he nips, stand as still as a tree with your arms crossed. You should even look the other way because staring a dog in the eyes is exciting to them. When he backs off or sits down, praise and treat.

For the barking, ignore it altogether. No reinforcement = no purpose to continue the behavior. Keep in mind, there will be what is known as the "extinction burst". Because Mack has been so successful with his barking, he will continue doing it. Thus, when you try to ignore his barking, he might possibly increase his barking because he thinks you'll give in. Just keep ignoring him and he will stop. Good luck!

ETA: I also wanted to add that now would be an excellent time to start Nothing in Life is Free (NILIF). With this training method, the pack hierarchy is established as you being the alpha and Mack the subservient member. This will help you IMMENSELY as you try to control his behavior:
    http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm
    http://www.greyhoundlist.org/nothing_is_free.htm

Thank You so much for your advice

I completely get it, like the light bulb just went on in my head !
    You are right, and I will try it !

As far as the Bf wacking him , we dont believe in it, but I can understand your assumtion. Its more like we say no mack or be quiet, But I can see giving him any attention is rewarding him for this behavior because he is getting our attention, much like with a child.

Thank You so much !

So far so good

Mack is responding very well to this lack of response from us, when he is barking.

The very first time we tryed all three of us turned away from him crossed our arms and said nothing, he persisted for a minute or two, then began to wimper,and whine. He has this kinda growl whine he does, that sounds like oh oh oh ! Its too funny, so we have to laugh, but he stops after awhile and lays down.

We are also commanding him to sit before we pet him, or take him outside.
    He is responding well to that, all though is still very much new at this way of life.

So again Thank You So Much For Your Suggestions and the link, it has helped already so much !

*Applauds* Congrats! It sounds like Mack is improving immensely. I'm sure if you persist, his bad behaviors will disappear completely. Keep up the good work!

Well, Its been awhile and Mack is improving so much.

Even outside. He still wants to have some freedom, which we give to him ,but he knows when we want him to go in.

I am glad to hear your Mack is doing well...I wish I could say the same for the boxer-shepard mix we adopted a few months ago. I read your post because ours too is very vocal-he barks at everything, literally. We can't mow the grass, rake, sweep, mop, vaccumm without him barking. My fiance is a smoker and everytime he lights up Bower barks crazy at him-he knows it isn't good, why can't my fiance' figure it out ? Bower also barks at me when he's hungry, thirsty or wanting to play and it's nice that he can tell me when he needs something but when he gets into trouble he likes talking back. So I have read this book called "The Latchkey Dog" and I will be alpha but at this time it seems as if fiance' is alpha. Bower really listens to Tom well but Tom works 12 hour days and isn't home much so Bower gets loud quite often with me. Usually during the day he is fine with me, always wants to cuddle and be by my side BUT when company comes over he acts up something serious. So I often though he was trying to compete for my attention and when I give him total attention he calms down some but not totally. I want to take him to obedience training but don't think I can until I can ensure he won't bark furiously at someone or nip at them. The one thing I don't understand is he LOVES other dogs AND cats but acts like he doesn't like some people. I get scared of his nipping and don't know what to do when he does it. For example the other day I was messing around at him and he jumped up and got my face-he didn't bite down and it didn't leave any marks nor did it hurt. I said "ouch!" and immediately he layed down and hid his face like he was ashamed or apologizing. If he nips like that when he's playing, how can I be sure he won't bite as an adult dog? I love him so much and am willing to do whatever it takes to stop these bad habits-I need to gain control but everything the books tell me to do doesn't work, he just barks back at me. I have tried ignoring, turning my back and even my vet has shown me some restraint methods when he gets crazy mean but its like putting a bandaid on a severed arm it seems.
    Anyhow, good luck to you and Mack and in the meantime I think I will reread my latchkey dog book because I am determined to be the Alpha gosh darn it

also...

I forgot to ask something about Mack. I noticed he is a boxer mastiff mix and I wonder how old he is and how much he weighs. When we got Bower they said he would be a big dog but we thought he was boxer and lab mix and didn't expect him to get too large. Well he is now 7 months and is definately boxer-shepard mix-at three months he weighed 20ish lbs and at six months he weighed 55lbs. It'll be interesting to see if he holds true as a boxer and grows for a couple years instead of just one. I also wanted to note that I think Mack is a gorgeous boy!

Post Barking

When he barks try not to give him want he wants! Inless it is food! Or take it to the vet when dogs bark and people that means they can't see check him out. GOOD LUCK
    I love My Chewie!!!! My Little Chihuahua!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronx'sBower
    I forgot to ask something about Mack. I noticed he is a boxer mastiff mix and I wonder how old he is and how much he weighs. When we got Bower they said he would be a big dog but we thought he was boxer and lab mix and didn't expect him to get too large. Well he is now 7 months and is definately boxer-shepard mix-at three months he weighed 20ish lbs and at six months he weighed 55lbs. It'll be interesting to see if he holds true as a boxer and grows for a couple years instead of just one. I also wanted to note that I think Mack is a gorgeous boy!
    Mack is 1 1/2 yrsa old, weighing in at a good 85lbs and growing. He also loves to cuddle, he is truely an overgrown lapdog. He talks back as well especially when I tell him to lay on the floor at night and not on the bed, because he is much to big to sleep with us, he does this OH OH OH whine almost like scooby doo, its funny, although he does lay down when told, he just doesnt like it. lol

He still barks when someone comes in the driveway, but I want it that way, that bark is alot different then his I want something bark, which we tend to ignore unless he wants to go outside to go to the bathroom, he doesnt need to bark for food or water, because we make sure he gets his two cups of food in the morning and at night,Its also hilarious to see him drink from a water bottle, like if I take him for a ride or something Ill buy him a bottle of water and pour it into his mouth and he drinks it like he has been doing that all his life. He also gets his playtime outside to run around like a crazy dog.

I think Im the alpha of our pack, because he listens to me better than my BF or his daughter or Gram. Although they dont enforce the rules like I do. They also dont spend as much time with him as I do. Also , I read somewhere that actually getting down on the floor to his level and rolling around with your dog shows them they can trust you, like your actually part of the Pack, you know what I mean, I rub heads with him, and rub his belly and rub his chest with my head. He cleans me and rubs his head on my belly or into my legs.
    I THINK that plays a big part in why he listens to me better then the others, I enjoy our quality time together.

Honestly you should try this with Bower's braking habits. I learned it from someone on here. Ignore him, turn your head away from him, and cross your arms. He will persist for a bit but after awhile he will realize that he isnt going to get his way that way. If you yell at him or tell him to stop or even if you are getting stressed out about it he will pick up on that and play on it, much like a child. He will respond to neg or pos attention and fiend for both. So stop giving him any attention to the barking. Just simply walk away if you have to or simply just trun your head so you cant see him. That worked for Mack. He still barks sometimes, but he is still a puppy, so he can get stubborn, I think it comes with the breed as well. You just have to show your dominance. Also I noticed with Mack , when he barks for attention, now that we have been looking away from him not saying a word, he simply stops barking and lays down, when he does that is when I get to his level and rub his head and tell him good boy.

Hope this helps,
    sorry I was long winded today. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bronx'sBower
    I get scared of his nipping and don't know what to do when he does it. For example the other day I was messing around at him and he jumped up and got my face-he didn't bite down and it didn't leave any marks nor did it hurt. I said "ouch!" and immediately he layed down and hid his face like he was ashamed or apologizing. If he nips like that when he's playing, how can I be sure he won't bite as an adult dog? I love him so much and am willing to do whatever it takes to stop these bad habits-I need to gain control but everything the books tell me to do doesn't work, he just barks back at me. I have tried ignoring, turning my back and even my vet has shown me some restraint methods when he gets crazy mean but its like putting a bandaid on a severed arm it seems.

BE Persistant, and consistant !!!
    he is still a baby, he has those puppy tendancies, when puppies play together they bite and nip and bark at each other. Thats what he is doing with you because you are now part of his pack.
    I dont knwo what your yard looks like, or how much time you have in your day, but my suggestion, is take time everyday to let him out with you, get him a toy that he can bite or nip and bark at. Show him that that is the time and the place for that. I think if you give him that , he will stop doing it inappropriately, Like give him limits and boundaries all at the same time your giving him what he needs and wants, to be a puppy.
    Mack does that sometimes with me, like the second week we had him, woke up in the morning and licked my face off , the I took him for his morning walk, we got back in the house and he got frisky, he jumped on my and bit my boob, yes I said it. I pushed him off me and walked away from him.
    Then he found me and licked my hand, as if to say sorry.

I hope this helps !