Thread: Chronic Disorganization

Hybrid View

Chronic Disorganization

I've been like this all my life...and now that I am moving into a job where I will have to get better at this, I am scared.

My mom thinks she would be a fine counsellor - she believes in clearing out the clutter first, and that will solve things.

But I want to get a grip on what is BEHIND this and change it - or I will keep repeating the same crap over and over. I will not BECOME organized by having someone tell me what to throw out!

I have emailed my doc to see if there are counsellors that deal with this.

Has anyone else found the demons? I have searched the internet - but with the wrong search phrase, have not really found anything.

INPUT PLEASE! This could wreck my living and my life.

hugs
    Catty1
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

First things first - don't be so hard on yourself. Secondly, getting organized is not necessarily "throwing out the clutter" but merely rearranging it in a way that works for you.

In my job I have to be extremely well organized to be effective - it's a function of my responsibility. I have found the most important task is to prioritize the things that are important. After I have determined what my priorities are, the next step is to focus on those priorities and do my best to complete what I start. Sometimes I get thrown a curve ball, that is, the project I'm working on gets shifted or tossed. In those cases, it is best to let it go and move on to the next important task and focus on it.

Good organization is not a simple thing; it requires flexibility. Our world is constantly changing and we usually need to change with it. For some that is not a hardship; for others, it is excruciately painful. Perhaps you need to spend some time determining how changes affect you. That could shed some light on the situation and help you decide how best you can handle things that disrupt your organizational patterns.

Most important is to not be afraid to ask others for help. If something is unclear and it creates disorganization in your mind, your actions will follow the same pattern. Explain the confusion and ask for clarification and then act accordingly. You will find most people are willing to help and will respect you more for being open and communicating with them.

Please remember that behaviours don't change overnight and give yourself a chance to do your best. Also, please remember to treat yourself when something goes well and you have worked hard to ensure that success. You deserve it!

Cheers

Thanks, Betty.

I have been through more counselling and stuff all my life, and my life HAS improved by being on a certain medication. Believe me, I am not pro-med - but after being off it for periods of time, and hitting the wall time and time again, I realized I had a 'diabetic brain'...the chemical imbalance was not going to fix itself, no matter what.

So I have contacted my Dr about this...and did some nosing around on the net. Now, I KNOW ADD in adults is a very controversial topic...but I want to explore this.

This early on - I just describe this as similar to being colour blind....I can look at tips for organizing, and even implement one or two - but never for any length of time. It's like all my life there was something I just "didn't get" - and I was unemployable and frantically all over the place as a road musician.

A bunch of this is out of context....along with good advice, and kindly - as you gave - I want my mind to be able to grasp and implement it.

Hard to explain...I can't snap out of it til I understand what "it" is.

Sorry if I am making no sense....thank you so much for replying!
    hugs
    Catty1

You are most welcome and definitely right - I don't fully understand how you are feeling. I can certainly empathize with your frustration and wish I could offer other sources for you to explore.

If a chemical imbalance is a possible culprit, you are wise to consult your physician and/or someone that he/she recommends. With the array of medications available to us today, surely there must be something that works. Have you considered consulting a Naturopath? Just putting other ideas out there ... I have no experience with this myself.

In any event, I admire you for taking the reins and exploring all possibilities. Your happiness is important and I'm sure the search will be worth it.

Hugs to you,
    Betty

Hi, Betty - I did some net searching, and got good info on Wikipedia. They did mention a new med, Seterra (sp?), that is not the stimulant and addictive med like the other ones could be. It seems the brain neurochemical norepinephrine is involved with ADD. The med I am on looks after its sister, serotonin!

There is a good naturopath in Calgary...he is trained in regular medicine as well as other things. I have a drug plan, but our provincial health care does not cover alternative physicians. Though they might him.

I'll start with my doc. Also, a long-time friend of mine was diagnosed with adult ADD, and I have written her asking if she would share her experience with me.

I don't want to be a druggie...but I read some stuff tonight that switched on a light bulb...and at last I think I know what has been "wrong" all these years...as I always felt something was.

I am over 10 years sober, and have worked on the inner changes involved there.

Anyway, I am starting to ramble, so I will leave off here.

Thank you again.

Catty1

hugs
    Catty1

The first step in dealing with a problem is recognizing that it exists and you have done that. You are light years ahead with just this one piece. Find something a *system* that fits your way of thinking. Look to what you have organized in your life for clues as to what works for you, whether it is in your kitchen, your clothing, your method of doing laundry, etc.

I grew up in a very disorganized home. When I went to college I observed how others organized their clothing and was amazed and eager to live like that. Look to others in your work life to see how they organize their routines.

Purging is one of the corner stones of organization. You do need to determine if you are hanging onto things that are no longer important in your life and if so, why. No one can really tell you what to throw away, the trick is determining that for yourself. Not an easy task and a battle that I fight myself. But I do believe it is the most important part of becoming organized. Don't fault your mother for emphasizing it.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France