Thread: The usual problems with kittens :D

The usual problems with kittens :D

Ive been trying to get my kitten, picasso, to stop going to certain places, like behind the computer, because Im afraid he might be electrified. Whenever he does something he shouldnt, I spray him with water, becase thats what most people say I should do, but the problem is that my cat isnt really bothered by it, infact, I think he LIKES water!
    So then I tried saying a sharp 'NO!' and tapping him on the nose, but he really thinks Im just playing and will attempt to catch my hand. I really cant think of any other punishment and I dont really want to hurt him!
    Another problem with Picasso is that when he play's, he plays really vicious! He bites and scratches, sometimes even leaving marks, but he's never really broke through the skin yet. When he bites or scratches, I take my hand away and just stop playing with him, and then he seems to get the idea and plays more gently, but latley he's been getting even more vicious!
    I mean, these arnt any REAL problem's and I'm sure alot of cat owners have come across these problems, but this is my first cat and I would like to know how you experianced owners got over these problems

---

NEUTER AND SPAY YOUR PETS!!!

Hi! My P. K. is a "biter", too. Most of the time I simply take my hand away and voice a firm "NO". Then I tell him "good kitties don't bite". We have been working at this for a year now, and he's finally started to nibble or "love nip" instead of biting; although he does get carried away sometimes when I'm brushing him and start to bite. But it appears I've broken himof most of that bad habit. P. K. also likes water, so don't be dismayed by that not working on Picasso.

Good luck with Picasso, and many 'concatulations' on your first kitty! May many more pass your way and find the love Picasso has found.
    Naranj's and P.K.'s Momma

Get an empty soda can and put some pennies in it. Seal it up. Whenever he does something or goes somewhere he's not supposed to, shake the can and say "NO!". It won't take long to break him of habit.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

This is normal kitten behavior and something that he will outgrow when he gets older.
    I don’t know of any way to deter kittens from going to certain places. You will have to kitten proof your electronic cords. The biting and scratching is also normal playing behavior. Have you ever considered getting him a buddy to play with? Keep his nails trimmed and distract him with a toy when he is biting.
    He is absolutely adorable!
    I want him!

How about posting some more pictures of him?

Thanks to BCBlondie for this great signature!

I can't add anything to what has been said, but I wanted to say how adorable Picasso is. I saw his picture on the "P" thread and I want him too.

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    Get an empty soda can and put some pennies in it. Seal it up. Whenever he does something or goes somewhere he's not supposed to, shake the can and say "NO!". It won't take long to break him of habit.
    Wow thank you! I never thought of using noise as a punishment!
    And it will probably work too because he gets so scared from the smallest noises, like when someone sneezes!
    Thank you so much for the advice, im sure it will help!

---

Quote Originally Posted by auggie
    This is normal kitten behavior and something that he will outgrow when he gets older.
    I don’t know of any way to deter kittens from going to certain places. You will have to kitten proof your electronic cords. The biting and scratching is also normal playing behavior. Have you ever considered getting him a buddy to play with? Keep his nails trimmed and distract him with a toy when he is biting.
    He is absolutely adorable!
    I want him!

How about posting some more pictures of him?
    Yah, Ive been wanting to get a second kitten as a play mate, but this is my first cat and there is no way that my parents are gonna lt me keep another one! We were supposed to get two cats but it was my brother that said two was a little too much for such a small apartment.
    Thank you for the suggestions though, they are much appreciated, and as soon as I get some good pictures of Picasso, I'll post them up here for you to see!

---

Quote Originally Posted by Killearn Kitties
    I can't add anything to what has been said, but I wanted to say how adorable Picasso is. I saw his picture on the "P" thread and I want him too.
    Lol, thank you! But you cant have him!

---

I have hissed at my cat for being too rough just like his mother or another cat would. If he got too out of control with aggression I would take him off my lap or bed or whatever, or if he was really naughty I would give him a time out in the room where his litter box is.
    Learn to read his behavior and stop playing with him before he gets aggressive: the tail might twitch or flop, ears might be pulled down and eyes are tell tale too.
    You will find if you don't put up with it he will become more gentle, and he will be less aggressive. Just NEVER wrestle with him or let anyone else do it. Cats tend to play to win!

Quote Originally Posted by KitCat
    I have hissed at my cat for being too rough just like his mother or another cat would. If he got too out of control with aggression I would take him off my lap or bed or whatever, or if he was really naughty I would give him a time out in the room where his litter box is.
    Learn to read his behavior and stop playing with him before he gets aggressive: the tail might twitch or flop, ears might be pulled down and eyes are tell tale too.
    You will find if you don't put up with it he will become more gentle, and he will be less aggressive. Just NEVER wrestle with him or let anyone else do it. Cats tend to play to win!
    yes I hiss at him too and the little bugger freaks out but then as soon as I get up to leave, he bombard's my ankles! (ow!)
    Unfortunatly his litter is in the living room, we were going to move it onto the balcony, but some half-witted pigeon made its home there and we are afraid that the cat will eat the baby's!

---