Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best kind of dog food?

What's the best kind of dog food?

I know alot of people have their own opinion on what's the best kind of dog food to feed your dog, but I would like to hear some of your opinions on whats the best kind of dog food.

I doubt its the best, but we feed our adult dogs Pedigree Big Bites, and we use a store brand, Authority for Large Breeds, for our puppy.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

I think a good kinda of dog food is one that has natural ingredients in it. Also not one that has corn listed as one of the first few ingredients. Corn is a filler, It makes them have huge poops, Also corn is something that labs and i'm sure other breeds have allergies too. Also I stay away from any dog food that says.. *meat by products/chicken by products*
    Right now I have to buy Presley dog food from a vets office. It too is not the greatest. But soon as she is a year old she is going on California Natural or Innova.

Melissa & Presley

We have been feeding our dogs Sensible Choice, by Royal Canin. we started on Iams large Breed, but it gave Cincy problems. we then switched to Iams Lamb and Rice, and although it was better, they were stinky!! They love the Lamb and Rice from Sensible choice and it has a lot less fillers and no corn.

I am a firm believer in Royal Canin. Shaianne had trouble gastritis and cholitis until I switched her to the Royal Canin Holistic Blend. It was expensive. 30# for anout $35.00
    I just recently switched Keegan to Premium Edge manufactored by Diamond. I did have her on Purina One Lamb and Rice due to a tighter financial budget for a couple months. A guy I work with has had 2 mastiffs and his first one had horrible allergies, coat, and joints and he was feeding her Purina One. He found this food and her coat cleared up. Unfortunately she crossed to the bridge after getting hit by a car and he got another mastiff and has had her on P.E since she he got her and she has been doing great and he is very happy with it. He had to give his first dog supplements for her coat and joints and he doesn't have to give this one any at all b/c the food is so rich.
    He buys it off a lady that raises show quality labrador retrievers. (When I went to buy the food she was telling me, "this ones father won Westminster in 1995, this one's father is from a well known breeder in Sweden, this one is from Germany." And while I was there her handler came home with one of her black labs she had a van load of labs (6) and had been traveling up and down the east coast showing them and this lady's had been winning!!!) I was thinking "Boy, am I outta my league!!" And she has switched her kennel dogs to Premium Edge. So if its good enough for her dogs its good enough for mine!!!
    While Keegan was on Purina One, her coat became dry and brittle, and she had dandruff and was itching alot and shedding like mad. She hasn't really been on this food long enough for it to make a big difference, but even tho she is shedding still b/c of the season, I have noticed her coat is softer and the dandruff is gone. And the amount she is eating is half of what she was eating in Purina One. She was getting 4 to 4 1/2 cups of Purina One and with Premium Edge she only gets 2-2 1/2. At first she was looking at me like "MOOOOOMMMMY! There is no food in der!!! An den, An den" and I was like "Keegan there is no An den!"
    Alot of people think if they buy the cheapest food its for the best, but its not if the dog is eating up to 6-8 cups a day and when you buy them a good quality food of the same size they may eat up to 3 cups.
    The price difference b/n the P.E and the Royal Canin is I got 40# for $25.00 but her prices are slightly cheaper b/c she is a whole saler and as far as I know the only seller around here.
    once again ya get what ya pay for
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Originally posted by shais_mom
    At first she was looking at me like "MOOOOOMMMMY! There is no food in der!!! An den, An den" and I was like "Keegan there is no An den!"
    I love that! That's just like Angus when we started feeding him Eukanuba! Where do you get the dog food your talking about?

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Anna, I looked on the web for there main address and this is what I came up with... http://www.premiumedgepetfood.com/

There are so many dog foods out there. It scared me to look at them all and then to make me think of what might be best for my girl.
    I am also wondering about beet pulp in dog food.. In horse feed beet pulp is hard on a horses stomach and it is used as a filler.....
    I would like Presley to have a good quality dog food that has the least amount of fillers possible, with all the best ingredients

LULU prefers Eukanuba in the pink bag..... she loves it.
    Personalized Pet Mats by Carla

Carla's Web Page
    http://communities.msn.com/doyourselfafavor

He buys it off a lady that raises show quality labrador retrievers.
    (When I went to buy the food she was telling me, "this ones father
    won Westminster in 1995, this one's father is from a well known
    breeder in Sweden, this one is from Germany." And while I was
    there her handler came home with one of her black labs she had a
    van load of labs (6) and had been traveling up and down the east
    coast showing them and this lady's had been winning!!!) I was
    thinking "Boy, am I outta my league!!" And she has switched her
    kennel dogs to Premium Edge. So if its good enough for her dogs
    its good enough for mine!!!

I buy it off this lady, check the website Presley found, you might find a dealer close to you.
    Keegan likes it, she hasn't been eating much lately I think its the weather change. It is Chicken and Rice formula. I prefer my dogs to have Lamb or Chicken and not Beef formulas. I read somewhere that is results in less allergies.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Thanks Melissa & Staci! I'll check it out!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

PEDIGREE
    I LOVE LABS, AND ALL DOGS,

Christina

INNOVA!

Like i have posted here before.. A better brand dog food with Less fillers is better for your pup... Why feed them a large amount of food that is mostly fillers and have them poop it all out.
    Atleast if you are feeding them a good quality food they are actually getting something from their food. Their poops are smallers and they are healthier!!!!

And by products... ack....

Chicken By-Product Meal - consists of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidable in good processing practice.

Digest of Beef By-Products - material from beef which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and undecomposed tissue from non-rendered clean parts, other than meat, from cattle which includes, but is not limited to, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially defated low-temperature fatty tissue, and stomachs and intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth and hoofs.

Digest of Poultry By-Products - material which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and undecomposed tissue from non-rendered clean parts of carcasses of slaughtered poultry such as heads, feet, viscera, free from fecal content and foreign matter except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice.

Meat By-Products - the non rendered, clean parts, other than meat, derived from slaughtered mammals. It includes, but is not limited to, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially defatted low-temperature fatty tissue and stomachs and intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth and hooves.

that was taken from a website i go to and read abou6t dog food. I have also seen this on many sites.. I know for me by products are out of Presley's diet....

We had a lot of trouble finding a food that Belle would even try to eat. Ever seen a dog starve herself, even though there is food in her face? Anyway, we finally tried Ko-op as a joke. But she ate it. We also raised our pup Prince on it. When we brought him home, he could fit in one hand he was so little. Now, he barely fits in my lap. They all eat well, and there poop seems fine. Our vet said keep it, so we do!
    My pets are usually pleased with what I do, because they are not inflected with the concept of what I SHOULD be doing. My time is owned by: Missie,Thor, and Trinity!

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    Cookie gets Bozita Natural, a Swedish product which is natural. I choose this dogfood because in Sweden the laws are very strict when it comes to feeding byproducts (not allowed), giving antibiotics and hormones (not allowed) and it's also not allowed to have farms for mass slaughtering.
    I'm very happy with this food, Cookie is very healthy and loves the food.