Thread: Potty training problems :(

Potty training problems :(

We have been trying to potty train our dog since we got him (may 14) And he still is going potty in the house! We give him treats, praise him..etc... I don't know what to do! Any ideas??

Welcome to the Family Pete!! (Thanks for the siggys bri!)Pete's Dogster Scamp's Dogster

Keep him with you ALL THE TIME... and when you are gone or can't watch him keep him in a crate. Treat him like a puppy who can't be trusted. How old is he? Take him out every hour or so and make sure he goes potty before he can come back in. Praise him when he goes in the desired area. You can say a specific word like 'go potty' while your waiting for him to go. It will teach him it's time to potty when you say that certain phrase. Let him out after meals, naps, and play times.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

He is 3 1/2 months. Yes, we tell him "potty outside". It's hard to have him with us all the time because ...we just moved into a new house and are unpacking, PLUS we have a 8 month old baby in the house...whenever we are outside he is with us though..

Welcome to the Family Pete!! (Thanks for the siggys bri!)Pete's Dogster Scamp's Dogster

Can you give me some more information?

Does he potty outside with you? Or does he wait til he's inside to go? Does he always do it in a different room than where you are? Does he tell you that he has to potty? Is he on a feeding and drinking schedule? Is it poop, pee, or both? Are you using a crate? If so, what type puppy and what size crate? The crate should be large enough to stand up without hitting his head, turn around and lay down... no larger! Any larger and you'll have potty issues within the crate.

Yes,he goes when i am out there. He sometimes goes in the room i am in..somtimes another room. he sometimes tells me if he has to go, by going to the back door, but he does not do it often. WE feed him in the morning..then whenever he is hungery. It is both Yes, his crate is the perfect size I am really worried, because it has been a month

Quote Originally Posted by conans_in_heaven
    Yes,he goes when i am out there. He sometimes goes in the room i am in..somtimes another room. he sometimes tells me if he has to go, by going to the back door, but he does not do it often. WE feed him in the morning..then whenever he is hungery. It is both Yes, his crate is the perfect size I am really worried, because it has been a month
    Don't worry. It took me 8 months to potty train both my dogs!

It just takes time and consistancy. Never scold him when he pees in the house. If you catch him, say a firm NO or clap to get him attention and immediatly bring him outside.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Now i feel better

Don't worry -- a month isn't long in the grand scheme of things. How long did your mom take to potty train you? It certainly wasn't over night! Have patience, and be consistent and you're pup will be potty trained.

Puppies go potty within a certain amount of time from eating and drinking. Some puppies its only half and hour, others as long as an hour. One thing is that if he takes half an hour then he'll always take half an hour. They are very consistent that way. They need to go potty after each nap, after exercise, and after they eat & drink. Don't free feed - give food at scheduled intervals throughout the day. Let him eat as much as he needs and then take the remainder of the food away after 15 minutes or so. Like I said, he'll have ot go within a predicatable amount of time. Keep him VERY close to you during that time in case he has to go a few minutes early. If you can't keep him with you, then crate him until you can take him out.

Take him out the same door every time.

Correction after the fact does not work. Never ever EVER rub his nose in it. Don't even bother showing his mess to him. Just clean it up and promise yourself to be there next time. Why is rubbing his nose in it and showing him his mess bad? Because you are trying to tell him WHERE he went was bad. He hears that GOING at all is bad. He'll become ashmaed of potty and hide from you when he has to go. Yes, some dogs managed to become potty trained despite this tactic, but more dogs develop lifelong potty issues as a result of rubbing their nose in their poo/pee.

Quote Originally Posted by conans_in_heaven
    He is 3 1/2 months. Yes, we tell him "potty outside". It's hard to have him with us all the time because ...we just moved into a new house and are unpacking, PLUS we have a 8 month old baby in the house...whenever we are outside he is with us though..

Unpacking in a new house with a young baby and house training don't
    go together very well.I wouldn't expect immediate results until you have
    more time to give to his training. Also if he gets meals at regular times,
    you will be better able to predict his potty times. Good luck with this.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks all!

I was feeling overwhelmed with my crazy life and new puppy-I think I found someone to relate too! We just got a 3 month old Brittany pup and my son is turning 1 year old in 3 weeks. We are having potty issues too-she has one spot she likes. But I have tried the feed in the morning, wait 30 minutes and out to potty approach with good luck so far (knock on wood). At night it is less effective-PJ's dinner schedule throws off Katie's schedule. And when they're little, they gotta go. I know it is my fault for feeding her close to his dinner time and then when she hits the thirty minute mark he is getting ready for a bath. I am moving up everyone's dinner time tonight to see if it helps.

One thing that has helped with clean up is the Spot Bot I got as a anniversary/birthday gift. It was not a hit at the time but PJ can now sling a sippy cup of formula with the best of them and now with the puppy-it has been a huge help. And with the added bonus that PJ likes to watch it run. It's 6 minutes of entertaiment. It is a lot easier than dragging out the cleaning supplies and scrubbing. Good luck with the unpacking-we moved when I was 5 months pregnant and it took me forever to get settled in. I still can't find a few things-for the best cause I think Katie would chew them to shreds.