View Poll Results: Are you for or against immigration reform?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

39 50.00%
  • Against

11 14.10%
  • Unsure/undecided

28 35.90%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Where do you stand?

Where do you stand?

Are you for the immigration reform or against it?

I'll tell ya, there couldn't be a bigger dividing line between me and my hubby. He is against it, I'm for it. He thinks I'm anti-immigration, which I'm not. I just think if you want the same rights and liberties as me, then you'll do what's required by law.

Where do you stand?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ladies, we need to stop comparing men to dogs. Dogs are loyal!" Wanda Sykes

Illegal immigration has got to be stopped. Corruption in Mexico (the main reason illegal immigrants state that they cannot emigrate legally) is not the fault of the United States government. Lax or nonexistent border control IS the fault of Congress and the Administration.

I believe that the borders should be closed and that the laws be made stricter as far as illegal immigrants are concerned.

Everytime an immigrant enters the US illegally, a LEGAL resident of the US is shortchanged.

There was a story in the paper a few days back about an illegal immigrant gave birth in the desert so that her child would be born a legal immigrant. What next???

We need to start taking care of our own LEGAL residents.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobodeb
    I just think if you want the same rights and liberties as me, then you'll do what's required by law.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

It depends......how do you define Reform???

I strongly support a guest worker program. ( GWB and I agree on something....although I'm sure for very different reasons....)

And... I do not think immigration from Mexico is the only immigration that is occurring illegally.

And....I do not think illegal immigrants are sapping government services or medical services.... they are AFRAID to go to the emergency room or social services for fear of being caught and deported. Most are paying taxes (payroll deduction....same way most of us do!)

I believe anyone who wants to make a home in the US must learn the English language (hello Miami!!!) And I think a whole lot of US citizens should work on their ability to speak proper English while we are on the subject. (There is something about a very ungrammatical rant against people not speaking English.)

I believe there is LOTS of xenophobia blowing around the current discussion.

I do not believe immigrants are taking away jobs from citizens. Unless, of course, your children are aspiring to cut my lawn, tar my roof, pick my strawberries or clean my house.

And I hope anyone who is ranting about "them" having all the benefits of citizenship is voting in every election and volunteering for jury duty....you know...those citizen rights everyone is worrying "they" are getting for free?

Well, I suppose I'm not talking about the same thing (although I have seen the American immigration problems on the news), but in the UK there are immigration problems too. I would support any country becoming tighter on immigration. I know that there is war and corruption in many other poorer countries but they can't use more developed countries as a sanctuary illegally. There was a programme once about how illegal immigrants get into the UK, and many cling to the bottom of lorries going through the channel tunnel . Unfortunately, when they arrive in our country and I'm sure this could be the same in the USA, many will turn to crime to make a living as they will find it very difficult to find work. Not only that, but population is swelling to maximum, especially here in the UK as we are such a tiny group of countries. Around 5 million new houses are built in the UK each year which destroys some of our beautiful countryside, and the demand gets higher as more people enter the country. The UK needs join with America and also become stricter on immigration laws too.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary
    And....I do not think illegal immigrants are sapping government services or medical services.... they are AFRAID to go to the emergency room or social services for fear of being caught and deported.
    On the contrary, I saw something on 20/20 or Dateline (I can't remember which) that illegal immigrants are part of the reason that healthcare costs are rising so quickly. They aren't afraid to go to the ER because they have a fake name and SSN and don't worry about having to pay the bill, so the hospital is stuck with the costs.

I believe anyone who wants to make a home in the US must learn the English language (hello Miami!!!) And I think a whole lot of US citizens should work on their ability to speak proper English while we are on the subject. (There is something about a very ungrammatical rant against people not speaking English.)
    Chicago is the same way! I agree 100%!

I do not believe immigrants are taking away jobs from citizens. Unless, of course, your children are aspiring to cut my lawn, tar my roof, pick my strawberries or clean my house.
    Again, bravo! You've said what I feel better than I could!

My Grandmother & Grandfather immigrated to the US from Ireland. They
    came here by way of Ellis Island which was the starting point for entering
    this country for many, many people. I voted unsure because I don't really
    know what the immigration policy is now. I don't know what should or
    should not be changed. Does anyone know today's policy?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm for reform. We need to get those borders sealed - NOW!!!

I'm not against immigration. I'm all for it but through the legal channels.

I get really cheesed off seeing them wave the Mexican flag. HELLO!!! GO BACK TO MEXICO AND WAVE IT THERE!!! WE AREN'T THE UNITED STATES OF MEXICO - YET ANYWAY. Inspite of Dora the Explorer and all the other sneaky things being done to teach us Spanish instead of them learning English. (like making Spanish a REQUIRED class in schools and using Spanish on commercials and other tv shows)

One thing I wonder: If GB waved his magic wand (and I'm convinced he has one if only in his mind) and made every illegal here an American today; how long would they work at the wages they are currently being paid? I bet after a while they would say, Whoa! we are now Americans and deserve a better wage!! And they would be right!!! Physical labor is hard and can wreck your health. Seems strange that a country who is so agast at sweat shops in other countries, would allow such low wages to be paid here whether to illegals or not!!! Just something to think about!!!

And yes they do sap the resources; the kids can go to schools free and lots of them get free medical service. I can't do that even being disabled!!!

I just get mad when they are here illegally and demand RIGHTS!!! which they don't or shouldn't have since their being here is AGAINST THE LAW!!!

I think anyone who knowing hires illegals should be fined for each one hired. But that's just my opinion.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

10. MOFF...there is a fine for each illegal hired knowingly by a company. There is a federal law, known as IRCA (Immigration Reform and Control Act) of, I think, 1986 or 1987 that sets out the fines.

I have a relative by marriage who was here for many years illegally. He did not drive a car nor go to a doctor out of fear. When he broke his leg a friend of mine who is a radiologist privately took the x-ray. But, as he was not legal all that meant was he in fact KNEW his leg was broken (I didn't have any orthopedic friends.... )

Just food for thought. What if we sealed the border with Mexico, a nearly impossible task? Could the results be a revolution in Mexico? A communist or other unpleasant US hating government on our flank? Then we could invade them (at what $$ and lost lives??)

It is not a simple problem and there are no simple solutions.

MOFF...there is a fine for each illegal hired knowingly by a company. There is a federal law, known as IRCA (Immigration Reform and Control Act) of, I think, 1986 or 1987 that sets out the fines.

I have a relative by marriage who was here for many years illegally. He did not drive a car nor go to a doctor out of fear. When he broke his leg a friend of mine who is a radiologist privately took the x-ray. But, as he was not legal all that meant was he in fact KNEW his leg was broken (I didn't have any orthopedic friends.... )

Just food for thought. What if we sealed the border with Mexico, a nearly impossible task? Could the results be a revolution in Mexico? A communist or other unpleasant US hating government on our flank? Then we could invade them (at what $$ and lost lives??)

It is not a simple problem and there are no simple solutions.
    A revolution in Mexico or one in the USA? Which would be best??? We are heading that way if something isn't done about this. There are already around 11 million illegals here and hundreds crossing in every day.

No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces
    A revolution in Mexico or one in the USA? Which would be best??? We are heading that way if something isn't done about this. There are already around 11 million illegals here and hundreds crossing in every day.

I wish I would have brought my camera with me today. The march has begun right outside my office window. Hootin', hollern' the whole 9.

It's about 10-15 people across and it's been going on for at least an hour now....going strong.

Mexican flags everywhere.

13. Without the money sent home by the illegal workers here, the poverty would be even worse in Mexico and those who were not working here would be unemployed there. Possible sending an already tottering country on our border over the edge.

This is why I support a guest worker program as a reform.

I do not see the same potential for revolution or an unsavory form of government (present administration excluded) here.

My grandparents and parents had to wait 7 years to get the "call", giving them permission to come to the US legally. I think everyone should do it the right way. They had a hard life in Italy in the 1960's... dirt poor. They chose to go about improving thier life the right way.
    I am happy they did.
    I do however think that the US should not deport everyone. It's a difficult topic.

I'm not really sure and don't know enough about the topic... but I'm more for it then against it I think.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*