Thread: Bleeding nose

Bleeding nose

My neighbor has a rottie that has low pigment on her nose. Shes about 10 years old, this year her nose is really bad. It has already started bleeding and getting sunburned. They have tried shoe polish, tattooing,and covering it. She loves laying in the sun. Does any one have any ideas we can try for this poor little girl?

Hmmmmmmm

What about keeping her out of the sun during certain (peak) hours and just letting her in the shade during the really sunny hours? I suppose she would lick off any sunblock, so that would be out of the question. Has anyone contacted a vet? They might have a solution. How about a hat the has a wide brim. Just kidding.

Move to London, where there is never any sun!??

I can't wait to see what ideas everyone has for you!

Poor Rottie girl! I know the vets do recommend sunscreen. Do you think she is able to lick it off her nose? Of course, contacting the vet would probably be the best advice I could give. And of course, staying out of the sun! Still, I'll have to go research this one! Get back to you!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I was thinking about using zinc-oxide ointment. Use
    just a dab on the top of the nose? Sunscreen sounds
    good too. I've never had the problem, so never got
    advice from a Vet about this problem. Hope you can
    find something that will help.

I found a great article on doggies and sunburn. Read through to the bottom where it talks about licking off the sunscreen! Good luck!

http://www.sniffbutt.com/advice/sunburn.html

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

We have tried most of these suggestions, except the zinc oxcide will talk about that. The problem right now is the nose is raw and broke open we have been tring to heal that up before we can add anything to the nose. She is kept out of the sun and inside (shes not happy about that) most of the day . She gets out only after the sun has moved to the backside of the house. She still finds a way to get some sun. Her Shepard sister (also10) finds shade all the time These two girls are so funny.
    I would like ideas still no matter how silly it may sound. We are desprate to keep her from bleeding on every thing (white carpets) Thanks all

Perhaps you could create some kind of nose protection contraption out of cloth that will velcro around her neck to keep it in place. Get her use to it around the inside of the house and then she will not rebel when she is let out.

You asked for any suggestion. This is mine!

This definately sounds familiar to me, are you sure the dogs nose is like that from getting sunburned? I ask because of Chow had cancer of the nose and her nose turned almost translucent and would break apart and start bleeding and get big scabs on it. Did it look anything like this? (sorry it's not such a good pic)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by anna_66; 05-15-2002 at 11:25 AM.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

or maby this is a little better

well, guess the pics not any better, but anyway, I would take the dog to the vet maby there is something they can give it
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I thought of the cancer becouse of my hubbys cancer . They have it check every year. not yet but next week is her reg appointment This has been on going since she was a pup It's just it's early for this to be this year. and it hasn't ever bled so much. It was almost all healed up over the winter and she was running in her yard with Merlin and she fan nose first in to the fence, broke it open. She is a sweet heart her mommy says she's full rottie but her personailty and some looks I think that a lab is in there too. Cocoa is a great dog, perfect for a single woman over 50. Strome her mom also took in her(stormes ) daughters old Shep/coyote Shes 10 also . we were a little worried about her but a sweety even loves Merlin. Just don't go in the yard in a uniform (some idiot pepper sprayed both girls and really it made them hate uniforms. Dumb people if they just notify us on the time they will be around the dogs would all be inside.
    I guess I've rambled on enough.

Good to hear it's not cancer, just hope they can get it under control. I know it's probably painful.