Thread: My cat is depressed

My cat is depressed

Hello,
    I'm hoping someone can help me. My cat is seriously depressed. We've had her for about 6 years. The year after we got her, we got another cat (that was abandoned). Well, the 2nd cat got pregnant and had 2 kittens that we kept. This was 2 years ago. Ever since then, my original cat has been depressed beyond words. She doesn't play anymore and just kind of hides all the time. She cut down on her food intake, too. She's still eating, but not enough and she's lost a lot of weight. She's also been drooling a bit.

Just recently, she's started to NOT use the cat box. She will poop next to it, but will not use it. Then, last night, she peed in my bed. Needless to say, I was NOT happy.

She's never been outside, so I don't think she picked up anything and all the other cats are totally healthy.

What could be the problem here? Is it just her being depressed or do you think it's something more?

Thank you
    !

Sure sounds like she misses being the only child!

There are people here who know good behaviourists or even cat psychics(yes, and they seem very good!)

If it's something more love and attention won't fix, you might ask your vet about trying Feliway or Rescue Remedy.

I am sure someone else here will have good ideas!

hugs
    Catty1
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Are all the cats spayed and/or neutered? If not, that needs to be the first priority. You mentioned that your other cat had kittens, did your focus go totally to the new kittens? Did you stop giving her the same level of attention?

It sounds like a trip to the vet needs to be made. She is getting close to being a senior cat anyways and it is very important for seniors to be seen regularly by the vet to ensure a long and happy life. More health problems appear in seniors than any other group. She may appear healthy to you, but only your vet can give her the clean bill of health. Also, did you change your cat litter type or brand? Move the boxes? Senior cats are especially sensitive to any change whatsoever.

I think she needs a trip to the vets for a complete exam to rule out any physical reason for all these symptoms.. She could be really sick and these are the only ways she has to alert you that something is not right. I would have alarms going off all over the place if it were my baby. Cutting down on food intake and drooling could mean bad teeth and she is in pain.

It may be serious depression and if it is she needs help for that, maybe medication or some changes in the house of some sort. This baby is screaming at you for help!! Please get her to a vet ASAP!!!!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Thanks everyone. I have an appointment for her next Wednesday at the low cost pet clinic. Hopefully, she'll get a clean bill of health.

Out of the four, 2 are fixed (the male and the mama cat). The other 2 don't go out at all, but I plan to get them both fixed as soon as I get the extra $50 to get each of them done.

I haven't changed litter or where the box was. I'm thinking about getting another box just for her to use. I don't know how I'll keep the other cats out, though. LOL!

Thanks again for your help, everyone. I'll post here after her doctor appointment and let you know how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by DianeSnizzy
    Out of the four, 2 are fixed (the male and the mama cat). The other 2 don't go out at all, but I plan to get them both fixed as soon as I get the extra $50 to get each of them done.
    There are agencies that will have low cost spay clinics. In Dallas, the SPCA has at least once a year a neuter scooter for 5 cents. You may want to check into some resources in your area!

Quote Originally Posted by DallasRechelle
    There are agencies that will have low cost spay clinics. In Dallas, the SPCA has at least once a year a neuter scooter for 5 cents. You may want to check into some resources in your area!

The low-cost spay/neuter clinic here is $50 per cat. There are no free ones that I know of (I wish there were!) I've called every rescue, shelter, etc. to try and find a free place, but there are none.

The oldest cat (the depressed one) is going to the vet clinic tomorrow for a checkup. I may get her spayed soon (if it's even necessary at her age & she never goes out) The female "kitten" (who is actually 2 now) will be getting spayed as soon as possible (even though she never goes out)

Quote Originally Posted by DianeSnizzy
    The low-cost spay/neuter clinic here is $50 per cat. There are no free ones that I know of (I wish there were!) I've called every rescue, shelter, etc. to try and find a free place, but there are none.

The oldest cat (the depressed one) is going to the vet clinic tomorrow for a checkup. I may get her spayed soon (if it's even necessary at her age & she never goes out) The female "kitten" (who is actually 2 now) will be getting spayed as soon as possible (even though she never goes out)
    Whether they go out or not doesn't make a difference in spaying and neutering. There are several health reasons to get them done early. For every heat cycle a female cat is allowed to go into, it increases her chance of mammory cancer. With the organs intact, there is a risk of cancer (uterine, ovarian, testicular, etc). If a female is spayed before her first heat cycle, it dramatically reduces the risk of mammory cancer.

Remind me again, how old is the depressed cat?

Hi Everyone,

I took her to the vet yesterday and it turns out she has a really bad infection in her gums/teeth (another poster mentioned this could be the problem).

The vet gave me antibiotics for her to take for 10 days. Once the infection clears up, the doc wants to check her out again to make sure there is nothing else wrong.

About her depression.... The doctor said she could very well be depressed, but we have to rule out all other physical things first.

While I was there, I also read a flyer about getting animals spayed/neutered even if the don't go out. It explained that they can get uterine cancer and have other problems. Sooooo, I WILL be getting her spayed in a few weeks after she's all better from this. (I'm also scheduling the other 2 year old for spay so now all my cats will be fixed)

I really appreciate everyone's responses and help and advice. I'll be posting again to update you on her progress.

Thanks again everyone!!!

I'm really glad you and your vet figured out the problem.
    Hopefully she'll get happier when the infection is gone.
    Religion is a smile on a dog.

It's raining cats and dogs!!!
    SPCA HOUSTON
    HABITAT FOR HORSES
    When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.

Just wanted to give an update on my cat. We've been giving her the antibiotics 2x a day and she is getting so much better!! Her eyes have brightened up and overall she's looking so much better.

I've been giving her soft cat food and she's been eating the whole thing each time I feed her, which is a relief because she'll be getting the needed nutrients and she'll start getting back some of her weight.

This morning, when I got up for work, she actually came and greeted me with a "hug" and a meow like she always used to!

AWWW! That is such GREAT news! I love the bit about a hug and a meow!

Can we see any pics of this lovely girl? And your other furbabies?

I wonder if there is an animal service in town that has spay/neuter vouchers to help with the cost?

Thanks for the wonderful update.

hugs
    Catty1
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Hi Catty!

I wish I could post some pics of my furry babies but, believe it or not, I don't have any pics of any of them (there is one of the 2 year old boy cat with my daughter).

I'm going to really have to take some pics of them. I've had my oldest (the sick one) for 6 years, the mama cat for about 4 years, and the 2 "kittens" are 2 years old.

I'm going to get one of those disposable cameras and just take some pics of them. I can't believe I haven't taken any pictures!! I'm usually so good at that type of thing!! But, then again, my daughter is almost 8 ---- I have a TON of pictures of her, but none of the 2 of us together!!!