Thread: Has your cat had side effects from antibiotics??

Has your cat had side effects from antibiotics??

Jenna is having major side effects from her meds. I'm afraid I'm going to have to take her to the vet this morning. She is having VERY loose stools and she peed all over my bed this morning. I can hear her tummy making noises (I think she has a tummy ache)

Yes, antibotics can cause diarreha.
    I would call your vet at let them know about the side effects Jenna is having on this particular antibotic. They may change her to another one.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I mean..I don't know how I should feel about her peeing on my bed. I was so angry @ her at first..but then I felt sorry for her. Can the meds cause that?

Quote Originally Posted by lldaniels21
    I mean..I don't know how I should feel about her peeing on my bed. I was so angry @ her at first..but then I felt sorry for her. Can the meds cause that?
    Peeing issues can be behavior or medical problems. Call your vet this morning.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I'm going to..they don't open till 8am

Quote Originally Posted by lldaniels21
    The meds might. How long has she been on antibiotics? You said 3 weeks ago, right? That way too long to be on antibiotics just from a spay and declaw. What antibiotic is she on?

Was she ever checked for parasites? If her poop is pure watery and has a smell unlike any other, she could possibly have campylobacter. there's a fight among vets who think its just a normal organism that happily lives in every cat's GI tract. Other vets say it can grow out of control and leave you with a very sick cat. I had 10 sick cats last summer. Diarrhea EVERYWHERE... you cannot imagine the nightmare it was! The remedy was 10 days of liquid Arithromycin 3x a day. Oh boy was THAT fun dosing 10 cats! I didn't know if it worked because a side effect of Arithromycin happens to be diarrhea. So I didn't find out how effective it was until they all were done the meds.

I suspect the declaw is the root of the peeing issue though. Did your doctor ever sit you down and tell you what the surgery truly detailed and what possible side effects might come of it? They often are too eager to take the money from the surgery that they neglect to inform their clients of the downside. I nearly declawed Allen thinking it was the proper thing good cat owners did. Luckily I had someone sit me down and tell me what declaw truly was before I mutilated his poor feet. Unfortunately if she is peeing because she associates the pain in her paws with the litterbox you're stuck with it. How old is your girl again? If she was about a year or older, the risks of serious lifelong litterbox issues are incredibly high. The best thing to help with a declaw-based litterbox avoidance is buy a lightweight "soft" litter. Arm and Hammer's litter is really good because its a small grain and easier to scratch than the bigger grained litter. It will be easier for her to cover herself and cut the pain of covering down.

She could also be so stressed about the litterbox that she's developed diarrhea. OR she could be so stressed about the diarrhea that she's developed a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection). Either way, the vet will be able to help determing whats wrong. Just offering you a few different options.

I really do wish you luck! Its scary and frustrating when things aren't right with your cat. Believe me, I've been there! I have a "mad pee-er" right now. I know why he does it (right now he's doing it because he has a UTI, but he's also my behavioral pee-er, who pees when he's mad abotu somethng and I'm supposed ot try to figure out what he's mad about ) and believe me, last summer, I had both peeing and diarhea issues. I was NOT a happy camper last summer. I truly hope that she doesn't have issues related to her declaw. I hope that if she is just peeing from stress related to the diarrhea (my Pouncer did last summer) that you read up on declaw for the next cat so that you can make an informed decision... and if you still choose to declaw then at least you were knowledgable in your choice

Jenna is one and a half. She never had litter box problems till she started taking the meds. It's called Clindamycin Hydrochloride Oral Liquid Antibiotic. I know for sure she hates the paper in her box. I think once I can put litter in it...she will be fine. BUT I need to take her to the vet this morning to make sure her paws are ok for litter. She has taken almost 3/4 of her meds. I'm not giving her any today until I talk to the doc and see what he says. She eats and drinks a lot too. I'm not sure whta this could be caused from. I did have to give her a pill for tapeworms on Tuesday...but she had diarreah way before that.

We were fortunate in that when Levi was on antibiotics, he didn't have any adverse reactions, but I agree your vet will (hopefully) have some insight for you.

(And not to hijack the thread, but Cameron Nicholas is absolutely beautiful One of my boys is named Logan Nicholas, so I clearly have a fondness for this middle name! Warmest congratulations.)

Also - ask the vet about trying some plain yogurt on Jenna to offset the effects of the antibiotics. If you're lucky, she'll beg for it like my Oscar does.

(Cole, on the other hand, could just care less. I'd have to smear it on his paws to get him to eat it! )

Good luck with your little furgirl!

hugs

Catty1
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I have an appointment with the doc @ 9:15am. I will feel u in with all the details later. Thanks for the info.

I have never had any side effects at all, and neither have the Found Cats.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Jenna just had side effects from the meds. The doc gave me special rolled up newspaper..I tihnk it's called "yesterday's news". She has a new antibiotic also. Hopefully she will get back to being herself.