Thread: Older dog not getting along with puppy

Exclamation Older dog not getting along with puppy

We just bought a puppy this weekend, and we already have a 5 year old border collie/austrailian cattle dog. Our new puppy is an austrailian shepherd/austrailian cattle dog. Our older dog has never had a problem playing with other dogs or puppies before, but now he growls and bears his teeth at her. We are very worried about what is going on, and afraid it is going to escalate into more...what should i do. I need some training tips and ideas on how to get it to stop...NOW!

I'm not really sure what you can do. I'd say keep them separated now, maybe with baby gates, and give each one a toy that the other one has played with so they can both get each other's scent.

Your older dog may be just telling the puppy who's boss. Is the puppy being rowdy around your dog when he growls? He could just be telling the pup to calm down.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

As mentioned, it could just be establishing who is boss. As long as it's just growling and snapping at her (but not making contact) when she's being pesty, I wouldn't worry about it. She's gonna learn about the rules from you, and from him!

Ginger Did Exactly The Same Thing With Bob... Which Surprised Us. Ginger Was Always Good With Other Dogs And Very Tolerant Of Visiting Pups And Young Dogs. But After A Few Days Of Steady Pestering And Ginger's Figuring Out (i Think) That Bob Wasn't Just Visiting, But Rather - Here To Stay, She Began Growling (alot) And Snapping At Bob.

Really Nothing We Could Do. It All Worked Out Though. We Just Tried To Separate Them When It Got Too Annoying For Everyone. Most Of The Time Though, They Were Good Friends And Played. Occasionally, They Went At It And Bob Got His Butt Kicked. Seems To All Be Working Out, But Bob Is The Total Nut And Is A Continuous Pest!!! Lol!

Red face

All good advice and I have to agree that allowing them to work it out is the best way (just making sure it safely done) when we brought home our rescue Dobie he was 5 xs the size of our 7 month cocker, she had a ball with him while his foster mom was here acclimating him and when she left Goofy looked at him like "hey dude your ppl are leaving you should go with!" She pestered him and annoyed him and our worry was that HE would hurt HER ( we stand corrected ) she has bulldozed him into thinking he is a Min Pin and she is aVERY large DOBE funny to see but they are the best of buds now and as their vet said yesterday friendships happen in the most wonderful ways! (btw she is 15 pounds he is now 65 and she and he sleep play walk and adore eatch other) Hope that eases your mind some

Rocky was the "king of the house" when we got Buster..he didn't want to accept him in the pack but now he accepts him just fine. Rocky was 7 when we got Buster and he is 9 now and Buster was 3 months when we got him. It just takes time for them to get used to each other is all.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..