Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

3 30.00%
  • Yes

5 50.00%
  • Yes, but only because of medical problems

2 20.00%

Thread: RAW feeders, do you add supplements?

RAW feeders, do you add supplements?

I was wondering if anyone adds any supplements to their raw fed diets?
    If so what & why?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I supplement with fish oil because it is good for their joints, so Nova and Mandy have it for that reason. Also, if your meat is not grass fed and/or pastured and you do not frequently feed fish, then their diet is probably lacking in O3. I do frequently feed fish so I don't give much to them.

If their getting a good variety of meats, bones, and organs from a variety of animals and are healthy, then I don't see a reason to supplement. But because for right now my meat isn't grass fed, I am giving the fish oil. Luka gets 1000mg a day, Buck gets 1000mg every other day, Mandy gets 2000mg a day, and Nova gets 4000mg a day. In the coming months I'll be switching to mostly grass fed, pastured meats so the fish oil will stop except for maybe one or two a day for Nova and Mandy.

I have not answered the poll yet as I am trying to do away with supplements. Edited, I voted.

Currently I am still feeding some supplements as I am waiting for certain foods that contain more of what I need. Hopefully once I get a regular supply of them I can stop giving supplements.

Nanook & Raustyk are the only ones who get supplements at this time, and it is only because of their artritis & other joint problems. They are getting Nupro Joint support as well as vit c (with the main source of vit c being sodium ascorbate NOT ascorbic acid) and vit E. Sometimes I substitute missing link plus with joint support if I can not find or get Nupro, as it is more readily available.
    Last edited by lv4dogs; 06-21-2006 at 03:52 PM.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Yep, I break open a capsul of glucosamine for Kaedyn every day. I may start giving some kind of fish oil soon too. I bought some NuPro (joint formula) for Kaedyn originally but he absolutely hates that stuff.. and seeing as how it nearly cost me $45, I give it to Kai here and there just to make some use of it.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Yep. I don't believe in giving "vitamin supplements" for any reason other than medical ones (I give Visa Nutri-Cal because it is high calorie amd helps her keep on weight). Other than vitamins though, I see no reason why you can't supplement the food with other things.

I give Visa seal and fish oil. I also give her "Wonder Pet" which is a mixture of shark cartilage, glucosamine, and chondroitin. I give her Mega-Min which is a liquid variety of herbs that help to prevent a number of problems and boost the immune system. She gets kelp and alfalpha and occasionally I give her a mixture of powdered herbs from Bone Appetit. She always gets her Biological Vet Skin&Coat and Sport.
    I've been BOO'd!

I only use MSM and gluosamine with Chondroitin on my older girl. The list below is very helpful in seeing that supplements are really not needed if you feed a variety of RMB's and organs, fish and eggs. I got this information from a book of someone who obviously feeds BARF which is not a word I use to describe what I feed my dogs because it came from Ian Billinghurst who I think was stoned when he wrote his books. We do not feed veggies or fruits either. So although there are basically supplements listed here.. you can see in most cases that they get the same thing from a non supplemented diet. We used to feed alphalfa and kelp. I see absolutely no difference in my dogs since I quit doing that over a year ago

Vitamins A to Z, What Foods They Come From and What Part Of The Canine Body They Are Beneficial To.

The information below was taken from Kymythy R Shultze book called "Natural Nutrition For Dogs And Cats"
    All foods mentioned are in RAW form.
    Vitamin A: Alfalfa, cod liver oil, eggs, fruit, meat, meaty bones, vegetables.
    Beneficial to: bones, hair, immune and respiratory systems, skin, soft tissue, teeth.

Antioxidants: bilberry, cod liver oil, fish, fruit, nut, vegetables, vitamin C
    Beneficial to: cells, free radical-damage, heart, immune system, joints.

Vitamin B Complex: alfalfa, eggs, fruit, fish, kelp, meat, meaty bones, veggies, nuts, seeds.
    Beneficial to: cells, eyes, gastrointestinal tract, hair, liver, nervous system, mouth, skin.

Bioflavonoids (vitamin P) algae, fruit, berries, rose hips.
    Beneficial to: blood, capillary walls, connective tissue, red blood cells, teeth.

Biotin: alfalfa, eggs, fish, fruit, kelp, meat, nuts
    Beneficial to: bone marrow, genes, glandular and metabolic systems, hair, muscles, skin.

Boron: fruit, nuts, vegetables
    Beneficial to: bones, brain, muscle.

Vitamin C: alfalfa, fruit, kelp, meat, meaty bones, vegetables.
    Beneficial to: adrenal glands, blood, bones, capillary walls, cells, connective tissue, heart, mucous membranes, nervous system, teeth.

Calcium: alfalfa, bones, carob,eggshell,kelp,vegetables.
    Beneficial to: blood, bone, heart, muscles, nails, skin, soft tissue, teeth, circulatory, digestive, enzymatic, immune, and nervous systems.

Carbohydrates: fruits and vegetables
    Beneficial to: brain, energy, nervous system

Choline: eggs, fish, kelp, meat, nuts, seeds, vegetables
    Beneficial to: adrenal glands, brain, kidneys, liver; cardiovascular, glandular and nervous systems

Chromium: alfalfa, veggies, fruit, kelp, meat, meaty bones, nuts, seeds.
    Beneficial to: adrenal glands, brain, blood, heart, liver, white blood cells; circulatory and immune systems.

Copper: alfalfa, avocado, fish, kelp, nuts, meat, meaty bones, seeds, veggies.
    Beneficial to: blood, bone, circulatory system, hair and skin.

Vitamin D: alfalfa, cod liver oil, eggs, fish, meat, meaty bones, sunlight.
    Beneficial to: bones, eyes, heart, kidneys,glanular and nervous systems, skin and teeth.

Vitamin E: alfalfa, eggs, fish, kelp, meat, meaty bones, nuts, seeds, veggies.
    Beneficial to: arteries, circulatory, heart, nervous and glandular systems, heart, lungs and skin

Enzymes: RAW FOODS
    Beneficial to: ALL BIOCHEMICAL ACTIVITIES

Vitamin F: alfalfa, kelp, nuts, seeds, veggie oils.
    Beneficial to: cells, glands, hair, mucous membranes, nerves, skin

Fat: animal skin and fat, avocados, eggs, fish, meat, nuts, oils, poultry, seeds
    Beneficial to: brain, energy, insulation, liver, blood, nervous system, nutrient utilization.

Fluorine: kelp, garlic, veggies
    Beneficial to: bones, glands, lymphatic system, teeth

Folic Acid: alfalfa, eggs, fish fruits, meats, veggies
    Beneficial to: blood, glands, liver, reproductive system

Inistol: fruit, kelp, meat, nuts, seeds, veggies.
    Beneficial to: brain, hair, heart, intestines, kidneys, nerves, skin.

Iodine: alfalfa, eggs, kelp, fish, meat, meaty bones.
    Beneficial to: brain, glandular system

Iron: alfalfa, eggs, fish, kelp, meat, meaty bones, veggies
    Beneficial to: blood, bone, metabolic system, muscles, nails, skin and teeth.

Vitamin K: alfalfa, cod liver oil, eggs, fish, kelp, veggies
    Beneficial to: blood, bone, liver, gastrointestinal system

LOVE: human and animal friends
    Beneficial to: all biochemical activities

Magnesium: alfalfa, fish, fruit, kelp, meaty bones, seeds, veggies.
    Beneficial to: arteries, bones, cells, heart, nerves, teeth; digestive, immune, nervous and reproductive systems.

Maganese: alfalfa, berries, eggs, kelp, meat, meaty bones, nuts, seeds, veggies
    Beneficial to: blood, bones, brain, immune system, liver, mammary glands, muscles, nerves

Molybdenum: alfalfa, kelp, veggies
    Beneficial to: bones, cells, kidney, liver, nitrogen metabolism

Phosphorus: alfalfa, eggs, fish, kelp, meat, meaty bones.
    Beneficial to: bones, brain, eyes, liver, muscles, nerves, teeth, circulatory and digestive systems.

Potassium: alfalfa, dates, fish, fruits, kelp, meat, meaty bones, veggies.
    Beneficial to: blood, heart, kidneys, muscles, skin, endocrine, digestive and nervous systems.

Protein: eggs, fish, meat, nuts, poultry, seeds
    Beneficial to: acid/alkaline balance, energy, fluid balance, hair, hormones, immune system, muscles.

Selenium: alfalfa, eggs, fish, garlic, kelp, meat, meaty bones, veggies
    Beneficial to: enzyme and immune systems, eyes, heart, pancreas, red blood cells, tissue elasticity.

Silicon: alfalfa, kelp, meaty bones, veggies.
    Beneficial to: arteries, bones, connective tissue, hair, heart, nails, skin.

Sodium: alfalfa, kelp, eggs, fish, meat, meaty bones, veggies.
    Beneficial to: blood, lymphatic system, muscle, nerves

Sulfur: eggs, fish, garlic, kelp, meat, meaty bones, veggies.
    Beneficial to: blood, cells, liver, skin, soft tissue.

Sunlight: Direct sunlight, (not through windows)
    Beneficial to: Vitamin D absorption

Vitamin T: eggs, sesame seeds
    Beneficial to: blood, immune system

Vitamin U: cabbage
    Beneficial to: intestines, skin and tissues

Vanadium: fish, kelp, meat, meaty bones
    Beneficial to: Bones, cellular metabolism, heart, kidneys, teeth

Zinc: alfalfa, eggs, fish, kelp, meat, meaty bones, nuts, seeds
    Beneficial to: blood, bones, eyes, heart, joints, liver.

Kim E
    www.eastwooddanes.com

I have checked out your site a few times before. There really is a lot of info there. I love it!

I see on your site that you have your danes sample menu listed. You have some supplements listed with your meal plans. Is it just not updated or is it misleading, is it not really a sample of your own dane's diet?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwood Danes
    We do not feed veggies or fruits either.
    I also see that you feed sweet potato. Is that not considered a veggie?

I was wondering, is the canned mackerel, sardines & salmon raw?
    Are they loaded with salts, sodium? Or can you get certain kinds that are lower in sodium?
    As far as canned sardines go, do you feed the ones in water, oil, or something else?

I've never fed canned foods but canned fish is a LOT cheaper in my area than fresh. If I can feed the right canned fish that would be great for me, my freezer & my pocketbook!

I also give Gonzo fish oil here and there, and flaxseed oil here and there. It helps his skin & it seems to alleviate his seasonal allergies. I give him a little bit of Benadryl if his allergies are flaring up, even though I'd like to give him something more natural. He also gets a skin/coat/joint/etc supp by... I think, it's Natural Balance? Just whenever I remember to give it & have the time, and I can tell the difference. And he gets canned tripe by Solid Gold.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I voted no, but I was considering supplements to be like adding a million vitiman suppliments lol my dogs get flaxseed oil, and fish oils for the most part. sometimes we give Vit. E, and we only add Vit. C if the dog is injured so that they will heal faster. I do give Misty Zinc for her paws but thats it.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    I have checked out your site a few times before. There really is a lot of info there. I love it!

I see on your site that you have your danes sample menu listed. You have some supplements listed with your meal plans. Is it just not updated or is it misleading, is it not really a sample of your own dane's diet?

I also see that you feed sweet potato. Is that not considered a veggie?

I was wondering, is the canned mackerel, sardines & salmon raw?
    Are they loaded with salts, sodium? Or can you get certain kinds that are lower in sodium?
    As far as canned sardines go, do you feed the ones in water, oil, or something else?

I've never fed canned foods but canned fish is a LOT cheaper in my area than fresh. If I can feed the right canned fish that would be great for me, my freezer & my pocketbook!

I need to update my site. Well.. that page! I wouldn't call it misleading... LOL
    Just not up to date with my current feeding program. Yes, I feed sweet potato with fish and it is a veg but I do not feed it for the nutritional value of it or because I think they 'need' it. It's just as a filler basically and they love it and if you are going to 'fill' with something, sweet potato is a good choice.
    The canned fish I use is Pillar Rock Salmon (Red can). Wild caught and packed. It is raw and there are no additives. Some canned fish does have salt in it. Occasionally I feed them something like that. Not enough to hurt anything and I remember they are DOGS. LOL
    They can have some salty mackeral now and then just as I can have a big bowl of ice cream. In moderation it isn't going to kill us. Our local grocery stores have Pillar Rock Salmon on sale for 99 Cents a can about once a month and I stock up. It is normally 1.79 a can.
    I can't afford to feed 5 Great Danes fresh salmon although I have a neighbor who goes to lake MI every couple of months and brings me back fresh salmon. But yah... majority of the time it is canned.
    Sardines are packed in water or olive oil.
    Hope this helps. Glad you enjoy the site and find it helpful.

Kim E.
    www.eastwooddanes.com