Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever experienced this?

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Merilyn is almost a year old and he does not life his leg to pee I must be a freak to even postthis but I never had a dog that did not lift their leg even my female Britt would squat and lift her leg any suggestions or should I just let him lift when he is ready?

rennie

Earle is 7 and has never lifted his leg. Some dogs, even males, never do.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

It's normal. Some boy dogs don't even lift their legs at all. My hound Buster is 2 and I haven't seen him lift his leg at all. I have however seen a few girl dogs lift their leg when they pee at the shelter where I volunteer.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I just thought that I was going crazy or something .. I just never remembered if any other dog that I had did that ..

rennie

My Sheba dog (first, best, smartest dog in the whole wide world) lifted HER leg to pee - she WAS the alpha dog of the neighborhood, no question. I have known some male dogs who never - or rarely - do so, and some who do so even when the tank is empty - to every lamp post, upright and building corner!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    My Sheba dog (first, best, smartest dog in the whole wide world) lifted HER leg to pee - she WAS the alpha dog of the neighborhood, no question. I have known some male dogs who never - or rarely - do so, and some who do so even when the tank is empty - to every lamp post, upright and building corner!
    Marta lifts her leg, too. I think it's so funny, she marks more than my other two dogs combined.

I think it's normal. Maybe he has been around too many girls dogs? . That happened to Georgia and now she lifts her leg

I've heard that marking has to do with if/when the boy was neutered, and if he's been around other males who mark. Fozzie still squats, but he has progressed to squatting with a little leg lift after following Gonzo around. =) Gonzo is a manly marking boy.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

My mom's previous sheltie mix was trained not to lift his leg. It seems to be an easy thing to train. But some dogs never lift their legs. Why on earth would you want him to?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

If hes grown up with a female, he may squat for life lol

Riot has turned 11 months now and only within the last month has started to lift his leg.. he loves it and shows it off.. lol
    Ravenmasque Summer Riot RNCL aka "Riot"
    Ravenmasque Wind Chime aka "Chime"
    MacBarras Jewel of the Isle aka "Jada"
    MacBarras Time to Remember aka "Crosbie"
    Tymless Classic aka "Ty"

Count your blessings. One of the reasons I prefer female dogs is because of not having to deal with that incessant marking. I actually didn't think I would even want a male. When the lady who had Tucker brought him to our house meet him, he stopped before he came in to squat to pee. Little did he realize that one act possibly cinched his adoption. I had me a girly boy!

Tucker has since learned (from a doggy he wanted to emulate) the other method, but he still will only *lift* occasionally.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Smokey lifts his leg sometimes, somtimes he doesn't.I don't think it's
    anything to be too concerned about. Your dog's normal.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

It's not anything to worry about. Sam is 10 months and doesn't lift his leg. I hope he never does!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I've always wondered why some don't.. but I guess its just what they prefer.

Ethan is around three years old, and has never lifted his leg when pee'ing except for in the winter sometimes.. and thats only because he doesn't want to get his feet dirty on the snow.

Skylar is 8-9 months old, and he also hasn't ever lifted his leg.

Both dogs basically grew up around Frisk, and Frisk lifts his leg every time he pee's...

I really don't know when Ethan and Skylar were neutered (they were neutered before we adopted them)... but Frisk was neutered at 6 months I think (its been so long ago!).

Hmm... I'm not sure what plays a part in if they lift their leg or not..

Vinny is 6 years old and it took him about 4 years to figure out how to lift his leg when he pees. Even now sometimes he squats and sometimes he lifts his leg with no rhyme or reason to it.

Here is something related to this topic. After Vinny "does his business", he kicks the grass with his hind legs as if he is trying to cover it, like a cat! Do other dogs do this? I never noticed other dogs act this way. The funny thing is that he often walks several feet away from his pee or whatever before he kicks, and may kick in the wrong direction, which wouldn't cover anything! Is my pooch weird or what? I love him anyway