Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about diet pop/soda

Question about diet pop/soda

I was wondering, can diet pop make it harder to lose weight? I've quit drinking regular pop but wondering if I should quit drinking pop all together. (which will be hard! lol) Just wondering your opinions.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

YES! Quit drinking it all together. The fake sugars actually just tricks your body instead of doing any good.

The best thing to do is drink water.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

YIKES! I am about to do it AGAIN!!!

DITTO what Kay said!

I think I remember reading somewhere that diet coke actually contains more glucose than regular coke, it just has less sugar in general. Not entirely sure if that's correct but I think it is The glucose is the stuff that makes you pile on the pounds, when it isn't needed, it's stored in the body as starch. The more you drink, the more starch builds up in the fat reserves. It can be broken down but the more starch you have the longer it takes. Try drinking mineral water or orange juice when you want a coke, you feel so much more clear-headed and refreshed after having a drink like that

Zimbabwe 07/13

Don't they put aspartame in diet soda? That stuff is really bad for you. That is an artificial sweetner that they put in everything that doesn't have sugar in it. Yuck! They are right water makes you feel more energized than sugar and soda!

Thank you for the replies!! I'll quit drinking pop then. Hopefully I'll have better results!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I've been trying to stop drinking coke.. I've failed badly.. I think I'm addicted but another thing to try is sparkling water I find that fights off the urge of a fizzy drink and I think its a bit more healthier

At my Weight Watcher meetings, they always talk about how bad diet soda is for you. Just because it's diet, doesn't mean it's good. They always recommend that we drink water. If you don't like water, try the Crystal Light mixes. They even come in little tubes to conveniently mix with a bottle of water in a minute or two I think they taste pretty good. They have some great flavors.

Unfortunately: I have a big problem with Diet Mountain Dew and I'm trying to curb it with the Crystal Light.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

The aspartame in it turns into formaldahyde in your body....as in "embalming fluid"-- not good for bodies that are still alive. i can't drink that Crystal light stuff - it gives me the runs. Plus, diet soda keeps up your craving for sweets. Switch to carbonated water - Kroger sells a quart of it for like 59 cents, and I find that the fizziness is just as satisfying as drinking pop, but it's got 0 calories!
    Your doing great, in fact, you've inspired me to get back on my diet, too!

Thanks soo much! I'm glad I've inspired you. I need to get back on my diet, too, though! lol

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    The aspartame in it turns into formaldahyde in your body....as in "embalming fluid"-- not good for bodies that are still alive.
    Oh gross! That's enough to make me stop drinking them! I've significantly cut down on them recently, but still have them every once in a while. Mainly I drink water and sometimes milk and juices.

I've never heard that diet soda makes it harder to lose weight, but the sodium does make you retain more water. I have to admit I drink diet pepsi all the time- I know it's not great for you, but it is a vice of mine that I can live with, and I'm not going to give it up! It's never caused me to gain any weight.

I think if I can't quit... I should at least drink more water. I haven't had water since last monday!!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

It's amazing what people will try to say about a product.

As far as glucose goes, glucose is sugar, and if it's in a soft drink it cannot be sold as diet. (I forget what the PPM threshhold is, but if there is any sugar in a soda at all it cannot be sold as diet). The sugar in Soda is normally High fructose corn syrup, or HFCS.

I heard that any carbonated beverage is bad because the air will bloat your tummy, making you LOOK heavier than you are.