Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post Counts - Who really cares anyway?

Post Counts - Who really cares anyway?

This is something I was thinking about last night (in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep) in response to the thread about responding to posts and creating pointless threads.

My question is, what is the big deal with how many posts someone has? Does it really matter? I mean, aren't there more important things in life to worry about than how many posts someone has in a particular online forum?

In my opinion, those of us who have been here awhile know who the long time well respected members are - no matter how many posts they have. Some of our longest running members have fewer posts than those who have only been here a short time. Yet we still know them and respect them and appreciate their posts. And new members quickly learn who the long time well respected members are just by reading the threads.

I'm not suggesting we get rid of post counts or any such thing because that is entirely up to Karen and Paul. What I am suggesting is why don't we all quit worrying about such minor petty little things when they're are more important things in life to worry about. If a person wants to post a million one word posts to boost their post count - who cares? We'll all just realize what they're doing and I don't know about everyone else, but I actually start "not seeing" those posts, just scan right over them as if they weren't even there.

Anyway, again, maybe I'm having a bad day and I'm in another crappy mood, but who really cares how many posts someone has or doesn't have?

Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's ALL small stuff.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!! I was thinking the same thing!! Does it really matter??? Not to me it doesn't! Some people go overboard and I admit that I may have a few times but I apologized put an effort to stop posting so much and that was it! Hey we know who the respected ones are and does it matter how many times someone has said something??? I mean unless it is really annoying or way of the point but otherwise?

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    For the most part, I know I don't even pay attention. But, I will say that I've asked if there was a way to include my posts as guster girl in with my posts as finn's mom. Silliness, really, and, I've admitted to that the couple times I've asked about it. I'd love to see them wiped out totally, and, that's a thought that had never even crossed my mind til today. I don't think most people really care...I think it's possibly newer, maybe younger members who do. I don't know, though...I'm not suggesting the post counts be removed, either, because they've been there for a long time and it's not up to me. It does seem that the pointless thread thing and the mega posting bothers quite a few members, and, that does seem like it may solve that problem. Either way, though, it doesn't bother me too much anyway...I am so not observant of stuff lately, I hadn't noticed a lot of pointless threads. It's an interesting discussion, though, and, no I don't think you're being cranky or anything. Just expressing thoughts.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I just noticed you are 5 posts away from 13,000, should we call off the party?

Just joking, couldn't help myself.

Seriously, I agree with you. It's not a competition and anyway, I tend to look at people's join date more than I do post count.

From Decker with Love

I look at post counts, sometimes. It, along with some other factors, gives me a quick read on someone. And, I was quite excited when I hit 1000. It felt like a milestone.

So, I do think post counts matter. To what extent? That might be debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcat
    I just noticed you are 5 posts away from 13,000, should we call off the party?
    What!!!??!? I hadn't even noticed! See, I don't even know how many posts I have! A reflection of how much I pay attention perhaps? Now.....about that party....

Gee....I suppose I now have to go find 4 more threads to respond to.....
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic
    I look at post counts, sometimes. It, along with some other factors, gives me a quick read on someone. And, I was quite excited when I hit 1000. It felt like a milestone.

So, I do think post counts matter. To what extent? That might be debatable.

I agree with you, to an extent. I think they're fun, but, for me, that's about it. If they're there and others are being acknowledged, sure I want to be acknowledged when I hit 1000 or 10,000. But, if they're not there, it's not going to make me too sad, either. But, that's where the debatable part comes in, because I know it's different for everyone.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I couldn't give a rat's a$$ about my post counts.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Well I am guilty of ringing my own bell when I hit 10,000 a week or so ago. That was a biggy for me so I guess I do put more into it than I thought.

I've never been good a making a decision. I'm so wishy-washy!

From Decker with Love

Quote Originally Posted by slick
    I couldn't give a rat's a$$ about my post counts.
    hee hee, i love the way you worded that.

I'm with Slick.

I've never figured out what it matters. I have no idea (and don't want to know) how many posts I have.

It, along with some other factors, gives me a quick read on someone.
    Just curious, but what type of read does it give?

I recently passed 1000, but didn't notice until I was already beyond that. Not important to me at all. I just want to be here, have conversation with awesome people, learn about pets round the world and be able to share when I have troubles, joys, etc.

Thank you.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I never got it why people celebrate post count either.

This is the first board I have seen it on.

Quote Originally Posted by .sarah
    Just curious, but what type of read does it give?
    Someone with 10,000 posts usually has been around the PT block a time or two, and I might be more willing to stop, look and listen. Someone with 1000 posts, in two months, might give me pause. Why so many posts in such a short time? Is it quality, or quanity? Is it someone out of school, perhaps indicting a younger person? Things like that.

Since this is a internet board, and I don't have much history to go on with people, I tend to pull from other indirect areas.