Thread: annoying barking

Angry annoying barking

Hi,
    I have three little dogs, and they all bark at the same time whenever they see anybody on the sidewalk or anywhere else for that matter. Two of them even watch T. V. and bark when they see other dogs on T. V., does anyone have any idea how to stop them from being so barky? I know little doges tend to bark a lot but can it be stopped?

Thumbs up

There is a device I'm going to try with my two labs that emits a sound in a frequency that humans can't hear but is annoying to dogs. The device is activated by barking. I want to use it in the house to see if they'll stop barking indoors. It works within a certain range but it would also work outside if you want. My Labs are very vocal and sometimes it isn't appropriate. Where we live now is not a problem because our nearest neighbor is 300 yards away. If we ever move to a neighborhood it would be an annoyance for neighbors. You can get them at pet stores or online.
    Labmomma

Be careful with the sonic device: certain breeds have extra sensitive hearing and can go deaf.

The only thing that truly and effectively stops barking is you being consistant about hushing them and rewarding them for quiet. Try telling them to "Leave It" when they are barking at other dogs and the tv. Leave It is pne of the most powerful commands and easy to teach -- with time, patience and consistency. If you don't put the time and consistency in, you won't get results. You have to consistently tell them quiet and consistency praise them. If they get away with it once they'll keep trying until they get away with it again.

Depending on the breed, you'll never quiet them 100%, but you can reduce it.

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    Be careful with the sonic device: certain breeds have extra sensitive hearing and can go deaf.

The only thing that truly and effectively stops barking is you being consistant about hushing them and rewarding them for quiet. Try telling them to "Leave It" when they are barking at other dogs and the tv. Leave It is pne of the most powerful commands and easy to teach -- with time, patience and consistency. If you don't put the time and consistency in, you won't get results. You have to consistently tell them quiet and consistency praise them. If they get away with it once they'll keep trying until they get away with it again.

Depending on the breed, you'll never quiet them 100%, but you can reduce it.
    I agree 100%! I have four Chihuahua's and they can bark up a storm. I have a cousin who has five of them and boy I can tell a difference between theirs and mine! I tell mine to hush or a firm no, but, no yelling while they are barking or they think it's ok because I'm being as loud as they are. If I say hush or no in a normal tone they have to hush to hear what I'm saying. When they've been quiet for a few min's I tell them how good they are. Boy what a difference there is in the two house holds. When we visit my cousin his dogs just keep up their barking until he gets exasperated and puts them in another room, where they continue to bark. While mine are sitting on the sofa being good fur kids.

I've just found that spraying my two with water works a treat! Even the words "I'll spray you" seems to be enough to stop them in their tracks
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk