Thread: relentless to get in dog's mouths

Question relentless to get in dog's mouths

Hi, i have a question about my beagle, Daisy. She is constantly putting her snout in other dogs mouths. She smells their gums, and teeth, and she licks them some too. Some of her friends / other dogs are tolerant for a while, but they grow tired of it. I mean, when she wants in their mouth, she is relentless. I believe pups do this with their mothers, but does anyone have any suggestions of why she might be so into this behavior?

A little background- she is 8 months old. I have a 1 yr old Jack Russell, too. She does it some with her when they play, but not like she does to other dogs. i've had her since she was 8 wks. I never saw her parents.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm more curious, then trying to figure out how to correct, but any correction tactics would be great.

This could be an instinctive behavior when your Beagle approaches other dogs in his "pack", perhaps he is searching for a scent of what they have eaten, of, what they might have found and picked up, I am just guessing off the top of my head .

Woops, sorry, Daisey is a female, not a male.

Chloe does this to Mika when she's being submissive.

My Two oldest female Chihuahua's do this to the two younger ones. I noticed that the mamma would do it to the younger ones when they were pups. I thought she was cleaning their mouths/theeth. Then the other female started doing it to them also. Like I said I think they are cleaning their teeth but I'm not sure. That is a good question as to why they do it though. I sure would like to know the answer to it.

It is a submissive behaviour often practised by wolf pups. It is actually asking to regurgitate food for them but since domesticated dogs are essentially like wolf puppies in behaviour, it is just submissive, sort of like showing the stomach.

Niņo & Eliza

suki wingy- what do you mean by showing the stomach? thanks for the replys.

rolling submissivley on their backs. It is a bit different than like if they just wanted belly rubs.

Niņo & Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by Suki Wingy
    It is a submissive behaviour often practised by wolf pups. It is actually asking to regurgitate food for them but since domesticated dogs are essentially like wolf puppies in behaviour, it is just submissive, sort of like showing the stomach.
    Thank-You . I learn something new everyday on Pet Talk.

Showing of the stomache is something I have read about. very interesting indeed.

I agree w/ Suki Wingy. It's a submissive behaviour, and doesn't need to be corrected.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Quote Originally Posted by dab_20
    I agree w/ Suki Wingy. It's a submissive behaviour, and doesn't need to be corrected.
    well, it can be irritating to some dogs. she will follow them around trying, and the dog will literaly be shaking their head back and forth so she can't get her nose in! i just don't want Daisy to get hurt

Quote Originally Posted by tonidaly
    well, it can be irritating to some dogs. she will follow them around trying, and the dog will literaly be shaking their head back and forth so she can't get her nose in! i just don't want Daisy to get hurt
    Hmmm I don't know. Maybe someone else knows better then I do. Sorry I can't be of much help!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*