Thread: Harmful people foods...

Harmful people foods...

Many thanks to all the PTers that gave me advice on feeding my foster fussy Smudgie. The Fancy Feast Gourmet worked though of course it's the one kind they don't sell in the bigger 24 packs at the cheaper price.
    As per some advice on an previous post (sorry can't remember who ) mentioned they had a kitty with bloody teeth that was fine with eating so I thought I'd try the fussy root as opposed to the pain theory. Well I knew from the first days I had Smudge that he did not like lamb...LOL.. So now I've narrowed it down to he LOVES fish...any sort...I want to keep him on kitty food but he also seems to LOOOOOOVVVE any people food...so here's my real question....
    I know that onion is bad but Mr Smudge I've discovered loves everything in the good gosh world as far as people food...he loves cheesecake, melon, corn, butter, chips, sour cream...and I don't even want to mention the meats that I try not to cook cause the smell makes him nutty and I can't eat in peace anyway I'm going to try to do some pumpkin to harden up his poop (sorry for a gross reference after a food post!) but what can anyone with people food crazy kitties suggest
    Again a million thanks for the help from you very generous pters..much appreciated.
    Kitten

Ps..Think turkey and chocoate are on the list of bad things for kitties too...would you believe this guy likes wasabi peas????

Ps..Think turkey and chocoate are on the list of bad things for kitties too...
    Oh yes, a cat must never eat chocolate! It contains a caffein-like substance called theobromin, which can even kill cats and dogs (leads to heart failure as far as I know).

Kirsten

Can't imagine turkey being on a 'bad' list.
    So much cat food comes in turkey, plus I give straight up turkey to cats who won't eat.
    I'm sure that chocolate could be toxic, but not sure about the turkey thing.
    Can anyone confirm with documentation?

I don't think turkey is hazardous in the least. A lot of foods are formulated with it. I know chocolate, and any allium (garlic, onions, shallots, chives, etc.) is bad for cats.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

A Lot Of Found Cats Will Start Blubbering If They Can Lo Longer Have Thier Slices Of Turkey.
    You Will Hear Meeewww Hoooo For Literally Miles Around.
    Especially From The Kitten Trio And Tubby 2.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Turkey? Heck no - my cats LOVE it! Cats are carnivores and need their meat. Be careful feeding only fish, though as they don't get all the nutrients they need and I know feeding tuna all time can actually be harmful.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Definitely not turkey. My vet okays me giving the gang turkey deli meat. They love it!

From Decker with Love

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    About the ONLY thing that Princess Cammie will eat is turkey. She eats a jar or 2 of human baby food (turkey) each day. It soothes her tempermental tummy.

Kuhio used to eat cheetos, doritos and nachos with jalepeno peppers. She wouldn't eat the whole pepper. She'd lick and chew all the cheese off of it and spit it out. She also loved canned mushrooms and green beans. She lived to the ripe 'ole age of 17, so I don't think human food every now and then will hurt.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Wow! Chuck won't eat hardly any people food. He does like cheese though. But even steak or chicken, I will cut it up TINY and he will only eat 3-4 pieces and then let the dog have it. He prefers his crunchies I guess~
    "The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched - they must be felt with the heart." ~~ Helen Keller
    ------------------------------------------------
    Chuck (rb) meowmie misses you!

------------------------------------------------

thanks kittycats_delights for the sig!

If it's not labeled "Whiskas" Finnigan won't touch it!

I learned the hard way that the oats and cashew nuts Ted loved with a passion were partly responsible for his developing oxalate crystals when he was about 5 years old. He first blocked before he was 1 year old and they diagnosed struvite crystals. Unfortunately, the acidified foods he was put on afterwards, plus the oats and nuts, gave him the other kind of crystals. A little would have been okay, but he would tear into the bags if they weren't in the fridge and gorge himself.

Quote Originally Posted by kitten645
    Ps..Think turkey and chocoate are on the list of bad things for kitties too...would you believe this guy likes wasabi peas????
    I found this and thought it may be informative:
    http://www.shafferah.com/chocolate.htm

Yeah I heard that cats that eat nuts get crystals. I also heard that every once in awhile a nut or so won't hurt them. I'd err on the side of caution on that one.