Thread: My fosters

My fosters

These four are quickly becoming PERMANENT fosters.

NOVA - He is timid and not one to greet you. He hides from new people. But he is so gentle. He loves really HARD chin scritchies. He is the one who had at some point in his life fallen and broke his pelvic bone that healed wrong. He now walks with a limp and is quite afraid of being picked up and held (probably doesn't want to fall again). But the vet seems to think he is in no pain.

Lizzie - Lizzie comes to me every winter. This year I simply did not send her back to her other foster home. She is the temperamental one. And will bite if you do not respect her wishes. She also hates other cats. But if they leave her alone she is content. I always thought she was a very nice girl, even if a little quirky.

Shaved

Full coat

Carolyn - This is a former feral. She never really found a use for us humans. But she is getting used to me and really enjoys our time together (I think). She is one of the most beautiful classic marble tabbies and we feel she might have a Bengal father. In order for her to truly find a home she would need a super special person with patience of a saint. But I love her.

DaVinci - This is my sweetheart. And Carolyn's too. He was the shy little stray kitten who DID find a home that gave him the chance to warm up at his own pace. Unfortunately this home did not work out (sadly) and he came back to me last year. He is still very shy around strangers but his former home really did wonders with him. He is loving towards me and totally enjoys our time together.

I sometimes feel guilty that these four are segregated from us and the rest of the family. They live on my third floor. It is spacious and comfortable, with all the comforts of home, but these kitties never get to beg at the table during dinner or sleep with us at night. They only get to interact with me twice a day, the rest of the time they are on their own. Is it wrong to keep them in this situation??

It's not wrong to keep them apart. They are warm, safe, well fed and loved.
    Their alternatives are not.

We do the best we can.

Thanks for helping them.

Jen, must I come visit and slap you? They are perfectly fine all up there alone!

I know your twice daily visits offer more love and attention than many cats get in a whole day!

PS: I LOVE LOVE LOVE Carolyn, What a sweet little scaredy cat she is.

I have to agree.
    Cats are incredibly adaptable creatures, and I bet that they love all being together.
    Jen, you are such a loving purrson, that more love than these Cats have ever recieved before.
    Bless You Jen, for helping the helpless!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach
    Is it wrong to keep them in this situation??
    Absolutely NOT!!! It sounds like they don't need/want a lot of human interaction, so it sounds to me like an ideal situation for them. What would the alternative be, to be stuck in a cage somewhere?

I went to PetSmart and tortured myself again yesterday. Don't know if you remember Lucky, but he has been in foster care for years now, and in a cage at PetSmart for months and months and months and months. I don't even remember when I first saw him there....and he's still there! Nobody is going to adopt him because he looks awful because of his bad allergies - he has goopy eyes, his fur is not nice a sleek, he has a big bare spot on his neck, probably from the allergies, and he just looks rather rough....not to mention the fact that he's 8 years old....but he is a TOTAL lovebug! If it came to living at your house, on the third floor, with only twice a day human contact, or living in this cage at PetSmart, I would opt for your house any day!

Oh, and there are also the 2(?) year old adorable gray and white brothers who I first saw as 6-8 month old kittens in the cage....and who haven't been out of the cage since and they're now over 2 years old. Jen's third floor is looking pretty great if you ask me!

Jen....do you think there's room on your third floor for an allergic 8 year old and two adorable but shy brothers?
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I totally agree with Debbie that compared to life in the cage your third floor is wonderful. The group I adopted Jazz and Scout from are now adopting out of PetsMart and they have a cat that they rescued from the county kill shelter but she's now been with them in a cage for over a year. I did notice last week she wasn't there so they either got her in foster care or moved her to the other adoption location because she's still listed as available on their website. Poor girl. Everytime I see her I just want to bring her home to at least stretch her legs for a few days.

It's nice to see your gorgeous fosters Jen!

From Decker with Love

There's my sweet DaVinci!
    Jen, they are not alone, there are 4 of them together in posh surroundings with a caretaker who loves them.
    It sounds a whole lot better than being in a metal cage in the shelter or out on the streets somewhere.
    Do you have a bed up there on the 3rd floor?
    Maybe some weekend you can have a slumber party up there with those kitties while Charlie spends time with the other cats downstairs.
    Or you can make it into a Pet Talk guestroom where cat loving friends from Pet Talk can stay and have 4 kitties sleep on the bed with them.
    Or you can leave the door open and let them mingle with the rest of the furkids and become permanent residents. ( You will just need to update your signature photos for us.)

Give DaVinci some extra hugs and kisses from me.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Those kitties have more room than I did in my first apartment! They are definitely NOT aboosed.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb