View Poll Results: Do you speak a foreign language?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 32.14%
  • No

11 19.64%
  • I speak a small portion of one

27 48.21%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do you speak a foreign language?

Quote Originally Posted by Tralee
    Yo hablo español, y yo quiero aprender aleman. He hablando español por cuatro años. Yo pienso mi español es mal. Es muy difícil para recordar todos los tiempos. Yo necesito praticar más. En el año próximo, yo aprenderé ASL. ASL es una lengua muy intresante!

Cool, I think I understand most of what you said!

I have learned Spanish for about half a year, many years ago, and I found it easier than French, but my talents for the French language were truly limited! LOL

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kirsten
    Does anyone here speak Latin?
    Edit: I just saw that Miss Z does - how cool!! It's such an interesting language, and you can find the roots of so many other languages there! Absolutely fascinating!

Kirsten

It is a brilliant language, even though it's not spoken anymore I would definitely learn it, speaking languages generally comes much easier once you have a firm grasp of Latin
    Yes, that's true, I think. Recently I read a book called "Pope Joan", and there was a lot of Latin in it. I was able to understand a lot of it, as I recognized many words I know from English and French. Very interesting!

@Barbara:

Kirsten I understood
    LOL

BTW, I have to admit that sometimes I have some problems with the Bavarian language!

Kirsten

My native language is DUTCH! Anyone here who understands what I am saying here: Ik woon in Vlaanderen en hou zeer veel van poezen. Daarom ook ga ik zo graag naar Pet talk!!

At age 5 I learned French.
    At age 13 I started to learn English. In fact I speak it MUCH better than French!!
    At age 15 I started learning German. I used to speak it fluently, but since I almost never use it (exept on holidays), I have forgotten most of the vocabulary
    At age 28 I started learning Spanish. I took 3 courses of 10 lessons.We were living in St.Louis USA then, so I followed this courses to keep busy, and because I love foreign languages.
    I must admit I have forgotten ALL about it now, exept for a few words like mañana, melocoton, aqui.....
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I speak a very small bit of Spanish. I was better when I was in high school, but I've lost most of it. I keep thinking I need to go back and learn again, as I think a lot of it would come back to me.

Like Karen, I also know a few words of Mandarin.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    I moved this to General, as that's where non-pet-related polls go!

Anyway, I speak a little French, and a few words of Spanish (courtesy Sesame Street and immigrant friends), and know a few words each in Swedish (I can count, and say snow and a few other things), Polish ... about three words in Mandarin Chinese ...

And I can say (or at least spell) "Merry Christmas" in many languages!
    okay I was wondering where it went!! lol

I studied Latin in high school & Spanish in college, so I can remember
    a little of both. Also Gaelic. As a kid, my mom & grandma would sit for tea
    in the kitchen & talk about "grownup stuff" when I was a kid. I had to learn
    Gaelic to keep up on what was being said.I was a nosy little kid.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

no.i took spanish for a while and know a little but not much.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud
    I studied Latin in high school & Spanish in college, so I can remember
    a little of both. Also Gaelic. As a kid, my mom & grandma would sit for tea
    in the kitchen & talk about "grownup stuff" when I was a kid. I had to learn
    Gaelic to keep up on what was being said.I was a nosy little kid.
    I think Gaelic is a very interesting language, but it seems to be extremely difficult!

Kirsten

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten
    I think Gaelic is a very interesting language, but it seems to be extremely difficult!

Kirsten
    yes it does! i love how it sounds though

Wow everyone here is so diverse! We speak so many different languages!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maya & Inka's mommy
    My native language is DUTCH! Anyone here who understands what I am saying here: Ik woon in Vlaanderen en hou zeer veel van poezen. Daarom ook ga ik zo graag naar Pet talk!!
    Lut is saying that she lives in Flanders and that she loves cats very much. This is why she goes with great pleasure on PT!

I speak a bit of Dutch but I understand it better than I can speak. I don't understand the Belgian Dutch so easily though (sorry Lut ), I understand people from The Netherlands better.

Ma langue natale est le francais et je pense parler l'anglais a peu pres correctement, a vous de juger

Kirsten, I understood you too! I learned German as a second language (after English), but I forgot almost all due to lack of practice. And since I am now surrounded by Dutch people, I can't speak German at all, I am completely mixing up the two languages!

I learned Italian for one year. I can understand it when it's written but I can't speak. I also learned Latin for a couple of years, but I fogot it all.

I took two years of German in college - then we lived in Germany for three years and I was able to practice with friends and get around to travel, etc - but that was 20 years ago.

Last year, hubby and I attended a 3 hour long Amish preaching service which was in high German - and we were able to follow along quite well...I was surprised at how much stayed with me.

Yes, I'm going on my 4th year of Latin (sure, it's a dead language, but it's also the root of so many other languages!!) and I know some Spanish.

Thanks Kay!!

~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you~ -Batman Begins