View Poll Results: Do you speak a foreign language?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 32.14%
  • No

11 19.64%
  • I speak a small portion of one

27 48.21%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you speak a foreign language?

Hybrid View

Do you speak a foreign language?

Okay before anyone tells me this is a pet poll not a place for discussing other things... I know okay? I was just wondering how many people here speak a foreign language. A foreign Language is anything other than english. I personally speak some spanish. I understand a whole lot more than I can speak. Ironic yes but true! If you speak a lot not all of one just do yes. oh and post what language it is!

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    No, but, I'd love to learn as many as I possibly can. Latin, Greek, Spanish, French, German, Italian...tons more! Language has always fascinated me. I guess Spanish would be the smartest language for me to learn right now. But, I've heard somewhere that you can learn Latin, you can learn anything. Not sure how true that is, but, it's what I remember hearing.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom
    But, I've heard somewhere that you can learn Latin, you can learn anything. Not sure how true that is, but, it's what I remember hearing.
    ita vero! (that's yes in Latin)

I've been learning Latin for two years and absoloutely love it. Most of English comes from Latin, and by learning it, you come to learn how words were formed, about sentence structure, different tenses, pretty much every European language has been influenced by Latin. Certainly when I started Latin, French and English, and even German, became much easier to understand. I don't find Latin too difficult either, and the Romans are such a fascinating people to study.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z
    I don't find Latin too difficult either, and the Romans are such a fascinating people to study.

Completely agreed on that one, I love their history!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Yes, I speak Russian, but unfortunately I lose a bit more all the time since I don't speak it much right now. I know a small amount of French, and I would love to learn more...I think languages are fun, but I find it really hard to KNOW it unless I'm totally immersed in it.

I took French, Spanish, and German in school, but sorry to say that I don't remember a whole lot since I don't really use it. I remember more spanish than anything, but back in high school I could easily carry on a conversation in spanish and german. Those of you who are learning a foreign language now, use what you are learning a lot so you don't forget! It's so easy to forget after being out of school for a while and not using the languages at all.

shihtzulover850 I think something was said to you in another thread about posting non pet related polls here if I remember correctly? But don't worry, there are lots of threads here that have nothing to do with pets, so keep 'em coming! I enjoy your polls

I took French for 3 years, and I absolutely love the language!

Oh, This is the perfect place for a poll, there are many non pet related polls here, its okay

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Quote Originally Posted by k9krazee
    I took French for 3 years!

Oh, This is the perfect place for a poll, there are many non pet related polls here, its okay
    I was getting ready to edit my post with the same thing!

There are many polls in here, way before you joined, shihtzulover850, that have absolutely nothing to do with pets. It's completely fine to post polls. People are filling them out, so, obviously they're participating, so, you're doing something right. I personally like them! So, thanks!

Oh, and, I took French and Spanish in high school, but, remember very little of either, unfortunately.

I speak Spanish, I've known how to speak it since I was a kid. My parents brought me up speaking both English and Spanish.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Quote Originally Posted by Uabassoon
    I speak Spanish, I've known how to speak it since I was a kid. My parents brought me up speaking both English and Spanish.
    Same here, although I can't speak it well, I can understand it.
    Sparrabeth- Never say we Die!

No matter what Ted and Terry wrote, Jack and Liz love each other.

I am taking Spanish, I love it! Foreign languages are so much fun.
    [size=1]Rachel & Sally

Quote Originally Posted by k9krazee
    I took French for 3 years, and I absolutely love the language!

Your siggie: "The more I see of man, the more I love my dog", n'est-ce pas?

LOL. I agree.

Just one question, however...You were trying to conjugate "aimer", right? Shouldn't it be je + aime = j'aime rather than "j'aimie"? I'm not quite sure as I'm not very familiar with French suffixes like "amoureux" and the such, so I could be wrong.

Anyways, I'm fluent in Cantonese and am learning French.

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    Your siggie: "The more I see of man, the more I love my dog", n'est-ce pas?

LOL. I agree.

Just one question, however...You were trying to conjugate "aimer", right? Shouldn't it be je + aime = j'aime rather than "j'aimie"? I'm not quite sure as I'm not very familiar with French suffixes like "amoureux" and the such, so I could be wrong.

Anyways, I'm fluent in Cantonese and am learning French.
    Oui!! And whoops that would be a typo on my part!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Quote Originally Posted by shihtzulover850
    A foreign Language is anything other than english.
    Actually a foreign language is anything other than your native language So someone on this board could have been raised speaking spanish, but now speak english perfectly fine and english would be the foreign language.

I speak a little french. My grandpa on my mom's side is full french, so I am 1/4 french. I took french for two years in high school and learned enough that I can pick up on what fluent speakers are saying and can reply, in very simple terms.

very true but it would be confusing for somebody to come on and say they speak english as a foreign language. english is foreign for my mom. you know.