Thread: Argh! I'm not the appliance repair place - Rant!

Argh! I'm not the appliance repair place - Rant!

Just need to vent here. The Yellow Book printed our home number as a local appliance repair store so I'm getting calls all the time from people wanting me to fix their dishwasher, stove, dryer, the list goes on! I have caller id so I've gotten to the point I don't anwser if it's a local number and I don't recognize it and people still leave a message on my answering machine. GEE! I've called and complained but was told nothing can be done about it until the new yellow pages book comes out in Dec.

The weird thing is my parents owned an appliance store and repair shop when I was growing up and I'm getting some weird deja vu going! If I had just paid better attention to what my Dad was doing all those years I could be making some money on the side with a little repair work, LOL!

Thanks for letting me rant. I get mad when I'm woken up at 8 am with a "I need my dishwasher fixed" phone call!

From Decker with Love

I know how you feel

When I was living with the ex. some phone card company in Ottawa (we had vonage & still had out Ottawa # active) had almost he same # as us. so we were called all throughout the night!! 1am, 2am, 3am , 4am ,5am ,6am 7am & GAAAHHHHHH!!! My ex ended up calling the phone card company & giving them an earfull.. a month later NO more phone calls.. Pitty really lol

Dang, it's too bad they didn't do that to ours!

My dad did that for years and still does it occasionally when his back allows it.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

My Mom's phone number is one digit off a Pizza Place and she's always getting calls with pizza orders.

If I were in your shoes, I would set my answering machine to say something like "You've reached the right number but this is the xxxxxx household and not the appliance repair shop. If you wish to speak to xxxxxx or xxxxxxx please leave a message, otherwise go back to the yellow pages and find another shop. Thank you."

That way you can screen your calls. Just a thought.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

When we lived in Massachusetts, our phone number was one digit off from a local doctor's office number. We used to get messages left on our answering machine all the time with test results, etc. Evidently the fact that our answering machine message started with "you have reached the home of....." didn't register with people.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by slick
    ...If I were in your shoes, I would set my answering machine to say something like "You've reached the right number but this is the xxxxxx household and not the appliance repair shop. If you wish to speak to xxxxxx or xxxxxxx please leave a message, otherwise go back to the yellow pages and find another shop. Thank you."
    Good idea. I would include the real phone number of the appliance shop in your message. It's not their fault that the phone company got it wrong. But, some people won't listen to the message and will leave a message anyway. It's not your responsibility to correct them.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

My old work number was 1 digit off of the local Department of Defense office and I would get calls for them all the time asking about benefits, the location of checks and whatnot.

It was bad when the caller didn't believe that I WASN'T the DoD. Several thought I was just giving them the run around.

The worst though, came when the DoD sent out letters giving people MY number as the one to call. I called the DoD, explained, they promised to send out corrections.

I had my phone number at work changed when they sent out the second letter still with my old number on it.
    The complete Knit-wit and occasional domestic diva.

Going to a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Hey, what an idea: follow a plumbing course, and it might make you rich!!!

LOL!!

He he, it is always better than being asked for number 45 and 79 on the menu (chinese)
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge