View Poll Results: Do you speak a foreign language?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 32.14%
  • No

11 19.64%
  • I speak a small portion of one

27 48.21%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you speak a foreign language?

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    A foreign language is any language other than the one you speak in the country where you live. Is this poll only for english speaking members?

One question though ... what's the reason for setting this up in Pet Poll? Why not in General?

I think what people think is that this section is for polls. There are many polls that aren't pet related in here, I don't remember it ever being just for pets. But, I haven't been around as long as some, either. I would think it would be more appropriate to put the poll in here than in general. Maybe that's what she was thinking when she posted it? And, again, if I was a new person, and, I looked in this section, I wouldn't think for a second that it was for pet polls only, despite the name of the section, just because of how many others aren't pet related. I'm not answering for her, either, just putting my two cents in.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom
    But, I've heard somewhere that you can learn Latin, you can learn anything. Not sure how true that is, but, it's what I remember hearing.
    ita vero! (that's yes in Latin)

I've been learning Latin for two years and absoloutely love it. Most of English comes from Latin, and by learning it, you come to learn how words were formed, about sentence structure, different tenses, pretty much every European language has been influenced by Latin. Certainly when I started Latin, French and English, and even German, became much easier to understand. I don't find Latin too difficult either, and the Romans are such a fascinating people to study.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    A foreign language is any language other than the one you speak in the country where you live. Is this poll only for english speaking members?

One question though ... what's the reason for setting this up in Pet Poll? Why not in General?
    yeah but since this a predominantly english website, I just thought it would be nice to see how many people didn't speak english. but you can put english as your foreign language if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z
    I don't find Latin too difficult either, and the Romans are such a fascinating people to study.

Completely agreed on that one, I love their history!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Yes, I speak Russian, but unfortunately I lose a bit more all the time since I don't speak it much right now. I know a small amount of French, and I would love to learn more...I think languages are fun, but I find it really hard to KNOW it unless I'm totally immersed in it.

I took French, Spanish, and German in school, but sorry to say that I don't remember a whole lot since I don't really use it. I remember more spanish than anything, but back in high school I could easily carry on a conversation in spanish and german. Those of you who are learning a foreign language now, use what you are learning a lot so you don't forget! It's so easy to forget after being out of school for a while and not using the languages at all.

shihtzulover850 I think something was said to you in another thread about posting non pet related polls here if I remember correctly? But don't worry, there are lots of threads here that have nothing to do with pets, so keep 'em coming! I enjoy your polls

I'm taking German right now,all 4 years of Highschool.I'm not fluent but i know it well.I've also taken French and Spanish.

I moved this to General, as that's where non-pet-related polls go!

Anyway, I speak a little French, and a few words of Spanish (courtesy Sesame Street and immigrant friends), and know a few words each in Swedish (I can count, and say snow and a few other things), Polish ... about three words in Mandarin Chinese ...

And I can say (or at least spell) "Merry Christmas" in many languages!

I can speak a few words in yugaslavian and from my friend I know a bit of Turkish next I wanna learn OJIBWAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    I moved this to General, as that's where non-pet-related polls go!

And I can say (or at least spell) "Merry Christmas" in many languages!
    I hope you're not planning to move all the non pet related polls over here, you'd be one busy woman! and, i can't say (or spell) Merry Christmas in many languages, but, I can say the alphabet in french and spanish! I think, anyway! hahahaha, i used to be able to, at least!

Ich spreche Englisch als Fremdsprache, meine Muttersprache ist Deutsch. Außerdem hatte ich fünf Jahre lang Französisch in der Schule, aber jetzt kann ich nicht mehr viel davon. Ich verstehe ein wenig Spanisch und Italienisch, und jetzt ich habe mir vorgenommen, demnächst Latein zu lernen.

LOL, did anyone here understand what I've written? (That was German)

I speak English (more or less LOL) which is a foreign language for me (my native language is German). I also took French for five years at school, but I cannot speak it anymore (at least not very well). I understand a little bit Spanish and Italian, and I have plans to learn Latin now!

Does anyone here speak Latin?
    Edit: I just saw that Miss Z does - how cool!! It's such an interesting language, and you can find the roots of so many other languages there! Absolutely fascinating!

Kirsten

Quote Originally Posted by k9krazee
    I took French for 3 years, and I absolutely love the language!

Oh, This is the perfect place for a poll, there are many non pet related polls here, its okay
    Your siggie: "The more I see of man, the more I love my dog", n'est-ce pas?

LOL. I agree.

Just one question, however...You were trying to conjugate "aimer", right? Shouldn't it be je + aime = j'aime rather than "j'aimie"? I'm not quite sure as I'm not very familiar with French suffixes like "amoureux" and the such, so I could be wrong.

Anyways, I'm fluent in Cantonese and am learning French.

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    Your siggie: "The more I see of man, the more I love my dog", n'est-ce pas?

LOL. I agree.

Just one question, however...You were trying to conjugate "aimer", right? Shouldn't it be je + aime = j'aime rather than "j'aimie"? I'm not quite sure as I'm not very familiar with French suffixes like "amoureux" and the such, so I could be wrong.

Anyways, I'm fluent in Cantonese and am learning French.
    Oui!! And whoops that would be a typo on my part!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I need to speak Spanish and German for work, but don't consider myself fluent.

Actually, the forgein language I speak is English! I'm from Argentina, so my language is Spanish
    I'd love to learn french too...
    Lola, the mutt, 2 years old

Anita, the dachshund, 7 years old