Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loose Stool in Great Dane Pup

Loose Stool in Great Dane Pup

Hi. I'm new here. I have a 16 week old Great Dane and a 2 year old Rottweiler mix. About 2-1/2 - 3 weeks ago Laredo, the Great Dane, was diagnosed with CoronaVirus. It turns out our old vet didn't give him a CoronaVirus shot, so he caught it. He got over that and stopped taking his antibiotics about 4 days ago. 3 days ago I decided to add a little treat to one meal of his Eagle Pack. I ground up cheese, raw egg, and ham and poured it over his Eagle Pack kibble.

He loved it, so I did it again to another meal the next day. That day he started having loose stool with a little mucous in it. It wasn't diarrhea, but it was loose and a strange orange or light yellow color. He still is very active, playful, and pesky just like a puppy should be, but I'm worried about his stool.

I know I should not have given him that cheese, egg, and ham but I didn't think it would hurt for just one meal. When should his stool be back to normal? I'm SO paranoid about everything, and I watch his stool everyday. I don't want anything to happen to him again. Thanks! Sorry for not introducing myself.

If he's acting normally, I'd just stick with the normal food, no treats for a few days, and he should be back to normal.

I'll be the first - do you have any pictures? I'm sure he's goofy, big-footed, floppy-limbed and adorable, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    If he's acting normally, I'd just stick with the normal food, no treats for a few days, and he should be back to normal.

I'll be the first - do you have any pictures? I'm sure he's goofy, big-footed, floppy-limbed and adorable, right?
    Alright, that's what I'll do. I am just SO paranoid, this is my first time being a Dane mommy.

Yes, I have TONS of pictures but I have no idea how to post them on here. I'd love to though. He's very goofy, very big-footed, and VERY adorable.

I tried to make them smaller but I don't think it worked, sorry.

Awwwww, he is GORGEOUS!!! Welcome to PT!!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Thanks! He knows he's a handsome young man, he struts his stuff every chance he gets. The pictures are soo big. I tried to re-size them but I guess it didn't work.

Hello to a fellow Floridian! Where in Florida are you located, if you don't mind me asking? My name is Kay and I'm mom to three rescued mutts!

Laredo is ADORABLE! His tummy was probably just upset from the different food.

Do you have any pictures of your other pup?

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

He's beautiful! And the pictures aren't too big - they're perfect!

Welcome to PT.

I hope his stools return to normal soon. My ex had a GD who also got Corona at about that same age. Unfortunatly she didn't make it. They are great dogs aren't they!!

I'd love to see some more pics, of your other pup too.

I am the fur momma to 3 dogs and my b/f's dog, 2 cats & my b/f's 2 cats, 4 ferrets some hamsters & fish too.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Hi! I'm in Jacksonville, Florida. Where are you located?

Yes, I have pictures of Dakota too. She's the Rottweiler/ German Shepherd mix. I'll add them in the next post.

We also have 15 Budgie and 3 Cockatiels, I'll try to find a picture with most of them in it so I don't take up a whole page with individual pictures.

Danes are a wonderful breed. Laredo is my first, but I can say for sure he is not going to be my last. I'm going to rescue the next Dane, we have a Great Dane rescue very close by.

I'm so sorry to hear about the other Dane pup not making it. She's in a MUCH better place now though. We actually thought Laredo was sick from eating too many treats. When Laredo had CoronaVirus he had loose stools but then there was blood in it and then he started throwing up. We called an emergency vet and got him in there right away. The vet started him on fluids and he had to stay the night. I was freaked out when he had to stay! The vet said he would have to stay a few days until he was better, but he came home the next day!

I just wouldn't be able to handle losing another baby. We recently had to put our Dane Mix to sleep, he was very aggressive and bit both me and my sister. I'm the most paranoid Mommy that ever walked this Earth. If ANYTHING looks wrong I call the vet. They know all of us and Laredo and Dakota's name by heart. But, better safe than sorry.

Baby Ray-Ray playing with his toys.

Another one of him when he was younger.

Laredo and Dakota. I think Laredo was around 13 weeks here.

Dakota & Fred. She loves the birds.

Dakota at the beach, before we had Laredo.

aww so cute!!! adorable pictures!

They are both precious!

I am in Palm Harbor.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Laredo's stool still isn't normal. It isn't diarrhea, but it is loose. It still has mucous in it too. This is day 5 that it has been different. It's weird though, yesterday morning he went outside and pottied and his stool was completely normal and it was for a few potty breaks, but then around 5 it gets loose again. It did that a few days ago too. He only woke me up twice to go potty in the middle of the night. Please help...

Quote Originally Posted by laredos_mom06
    Laredo's stool still isn't normal. It isn't diarrhea, but it is loose. It still has mucous in it too. This is day 5 that it has been different. It's weird though, yesterday morning he went outside and pottied and his stool was completely normal and it was for a few potty breaks, but then around 5 it gets loose again. It did that a few days ago too. He only woke me up twice to go potty in the middle of the night. Please help...
    Oh no poor dear. I hope he gets better soon! Is he stil acting normal? Does anything appear to be wrong with him and his eating and sleeping schedule?