Thread: Disease from water at dog parks

Disease from water at dog parks

Does anyone know of this "disease" going around that dogs can contract by drinking the community water bowls at dog parks? My veterinarian warned me about it, but I cannot remember the name to read up about it online. Any ideas? Apparently a symptom is reoccuring diarrhea which my dog is experiencing :-/, but the tests for it are pretty expensive. Thanks!

Giardia perhaps? I haven't heard anything about it coming from dog parks specifically, but it is contracted by drinking water and diarrhea is a symptom.

I was thinking Giardia too. It's a nasty illness, and it CAN be passed on to you and your family! I would spring for the tests to protect you & your dog, at least take your pup into the Vet as they might be dehydrated.

Parvo is also contracted at dog parks. There has been 2 Parvo outbreaks at our local park

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Quote Originally Posted by Katey530
    Does anyone know of this "disease" going around that dogs can contract by drinking the community water bowls at dog parks? My veterinarian warned me about it, but I cannot remember the name to read up about it online. Any ideas? Apparently a symptom is reoccuring diarrhea which my dog is experiencing :-/, but the tests for it are pretty expensive. Thanks!

It sounds more like parvo virus than giardia; giardia (which is not a virus, but a parasite) is extremely common, typically contracted at dog parks because it passes in feces. The vet can spot the parasite under a microscope, so I don't see where expensive tests would be required.

Parvo virus, on the other hand, which tends to "go around" more (cases of parvo will "break out" at kennels, in dog parks, and so forth), requires some pricey testing. It also is FAR more serious than giardia and has a 30% mortality rate. Puppies who haven't completed their "puppy shots" yet can die very quickly if they are not hospitalized right away. The diarrhea parvo causes is absolutely the worst smell ever. Nothing like typical diarrhea, not even a fecal smell. It is a truly sickening odor, the diarrhea is usually very dark, almost a liquid, and profuse, and once it starts it keeps going, ripping through the pup's intestines. It is not intermittent, and once you smell it you will never forget it!

How old is your dog? Is he up to date on his vaccines? Has he been vaccinated for parvo? If not, he should be. Is he vomiting too? If he starts vomiting, get him to the vet pronto. Lots of things can give a dog diarrhea, but not so many cause vomiting, so when they appear together, it's a red flag. To say nothing of fever (which you can check yourself).

I would imagine that your vet would have given your dog a parvo shot already if the condition he described were parvo, so I don't think you have to worry about parvo. You might call him to confirm that your dog received the vaccine.

So many "bugs" can cause diarrhea, they are typically visible under a microscope, some even to the naked eye --tapeworms are obvious-- and most of them are easily treated with antibiotic and antiparasitic drugs.

I never let my dogs drink from the dog park fountain. It strikes me as ridiculously unsanitary, even worse than drinking from the stagnant puddles in the park (which probably contain some rat poison along with everything else). Keep an eye on the diarrhea for any changes, and feed a bland diet, like lamb and rice, to ease your dog's digestion and lessen stomach cramps.

HTH!

My dogs get vaccines for Ghiardia. If your going to have them out and about I think its a good idea.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Snuggles doesn't like drinking from the dog water fountains that much. I hope your dog is okay.

I try to stay clear of dog parks unless the water is flowing like the Marymoore in Redmond. That is a pretty decent park. I still like to stay clear.
    I look at dog parks like I do hospitals. If you want to get sick go to a hospital.

Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin.

My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by MomOf7
    I try to stay clear of dog parks unless the water is flowing like the Marymoore in Redmond. That is a pretty decent park. I still like to stay clear.
    I look at dog parks like I do hospitals. If you want to get sick go to a hospital.
    That's a very good idea. I've seen dogs peeing in the pool at the dog park that Fenway goes to. And the parents just laugh. I have to go over and dump the water out and refill the pool myself.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Is it dog flu? If so, the dog can die within 24 of being exposed to it, or so I've heard. There is no vaccine for it either. There was a bad case of it here at the Greyhound track...it's scary stuff. Vets often think it is kennel cough, but it isn't. There is quite a bit of info on it, Google it.

It could also be Coxidia(sp?)

This diesease is caused by stagnant water in the hot sun.

Our pup Crosbie got it when he was little .. we almost lost him!
    Ravenmasque Summer Riot RNCL aka "Riot"
    Ravenmasque Wind Chime aka "Chime"
    MacBarras Jewel of the Isle aka "Jada"
    MacBarras Time to Remember aka "Crosbie"
    Tymless Classic aka "Ty"

[QUOTE=SummerRiot]It could also be Coxidia(sp?)QUOTE]

I thought Coccidia was from a puppy's mother. The mother sheds the cysts in her stool. Maybe I am thinking of a different disease.