Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here on Welbutrin???

Anyone here on Welbutrin???

I feel the need to post this for ANYONE here that happens to be taking Welbutrin for depression.

One of the worst side effects of this drug is suicidal thoughts.

Well...my doctor put me on it in addition to my Paxil 37.5 mgs. I told him I'd rather he just up my dosage of Paxil to 40 mgs (that's what I was taking before and had absolutely no problems with it) because it comes in generic and is cheaper. He gave me this long schpeel about how it would cause RAPID weight gain, blah, blah, blah. He said that if I take the Welbutrin along with it, it would give me energy and suppress my apetite. I'm beginning to realize that maybe the doctors and the pharmaceuticals are in cahoots with each other. This is the second doctor to tell me this and push the 37.5 mgs at me. My doctor in Michigan told me they don't make 40 mgs of Paxil anymore. Well, they lied!!!

I have NEVER in my life had such a meltdown yesterday in all my years of depression and being on medicines. I IMMEDIATELY called my doctor and he said to stop taking Welbutrin and come into see him. I'm going in Saturday morning.

I have to go for an MRI tonight because I MAY have a tumor in my right inner ear that is causing my hearing loss.

My roommate Mark is absolutely phenomenal! He told me not to worry about the rent if I don't get an assignment right away. He also told me to call him the MINUTE I get the results of the MRI.

The thought of my work assignment ending and wondering how I'm going to pay my bills (my rent mostly) just really took a toll on me and I was totally overwhelmed. I just sat at my desk and sobbed, thinking how I was going to manage and maybe I'd just be better off not alive, if you know what I mean. I wasn't worried about what anyone would think, or how my family would react. What stopped me???????

These guys:

What would they do without me??? Who will care for them, even though I DO have a provision that states each cat be taken by one of my rescue friends. All the wonderful people here that have been SOOOO kind to me and helped me through just about every shoe that's dropped on me in the past 2 years since I've joined PT. I love you guys!!

The meltdown eventually subsided (only AFTER I went to work last night at BB&B which took my mind off it).

What I'm trying to say is, if you're on this nasty crap and you start having thoughts like I did, call your doctor IMMEDIATELY!!!!!

I'm just glad I was able to get through it (or should I say LIVE through it).

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thank God for your cats!

Prozac has similar warnings about suicidal side effects..hardly ideal for depression.

Hope the sun starts shining for you again soon {{{hugs}}}
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Thanks Brody's Mum. You're SO right! I refused Prozac (he wanted me to go on that and then suggested Welbutrin when I said no).

The agency is confident I'll find something soon. I still have my BB&B job and they'll up my hours IF I don't find something soon. I've also been putting out my resume and watching Careerbuilder.com.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

I was on Paxil. Changed to Wellbutrin. I came to call it Hellbutrin.

I would take one, and within an hour, go through instant menopause - crying jag, shaky legs, hot flash and SWEAT.

(I switched because I thought Paxil was decreasing my sex drive; I found a new boyfriend BORING. Guess what? He WAS boring!!!! )

Each SSRI affects different receptors in the brain. I don't know why they wouldn't just increase the Paxil for you either.

I am now on Cipralex 20mg, a new cousin to Paxil, and feel fine!

I also learned that Wellbutrin is also that other drug Zyban that is often prescribed to help people stop smoking. No WONDER so many people stop taking it.

I stuck it out as I knew side effects could go on for 2 weeks...but they never got better. So I took myself off. Plus I was going thru Paxil withdrawl - I was told there would be a "transition". Yeah, like crossing an exploding bridge transition!

Best advice I ever got - from a dentist decades ago - he told me: "I am the expert - you are the boss."

Wise words...no one knows your body like you do, hon. Contact a local mental health centre if you want some backup...and talk to a nurse if you can, at your doctor's. They are often more tuned in than drs are.

It will get better hon!

hugs hugs hugs
    Catty1
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks Catty1. I've gone through Paxil withdrawal too a couple of times from either running out of the meds or forgetting to take them. It's awful!

I've called a couple of agencies to find a good therapist that does a "sliding scale" fee. Before I left for Michigan, I had this WONDERFUL therapist that I truly adored. I kept in contact with her while I was in Michigan just as a friend. If only she were closer and I could afford her fee. She helped me tremendously.

I really wish I didn't have to be on any meds at all. But I know that I have to be, just like a diabetic on insulin. For some reasons my gene pool needed filtering and I inherited the "crappy" stuff filtered out.

Each SSRI affects different receptors in the brain. I don't know why they wouldn't just increase the Paxil for you either.
    That's why I said I believe the doctors and pharmaceutical companies are in cahoots because I've repeatedly asked to be upped to 40 mgs and they kept saying they don't make it anymore. Well, they do because I called the pharmaceutical company. Which really makes me mistrust some doctors, including the one I'm going to.

I've signed up for Partnership for Prescription Assistance, so hopefully the $97/month for Paxil will cost less if nothing through the program. I've heard wonderful things about it.

Thanks Catty1! You and all the fantastic people here are one of the reasons why I love this place so much!!

Oh how scary! What I hate about doctors (and drug companies) is that they never tell you the whole story. Most drugs for depression (SSRIs) don't necessarily work forever, your body will start to build up an immunity to it. You can either take a higher dose of the drug you're on, try a different drug, or try a combination of drugs. The problem is that docs don't tell you that your body may have this effect, so when this happens to someone, they start to get depressed again. Not only that, they start to think that they will never really get better, because they think that even medication can't help them. That's where the sucicidal thoughts can come in (not to mention that every drug does not work ideally for every person, and it sounds like Wellbutrin was not a good fit for you).

On a side note, I noticed that you put david's picture there with your cats, which made me smile. I know how much he cares about you, so when you get depressed try to think about him. Hey, have you guys ever actually met?

Donna, if you ever need to talk just PM me, I have been through depression myself and so has my mom, so I do understand what you are going through. ((((hugs))))

My mom was on Paxil and Welbutrin, but they didn't help with her anxiety at all. I don't remember the side effects she would have, but I know she would feel terrible. She tried to get off of Welbutrin but her withdrawal was worse than the actual side effects. So her doctor changed her to Effexor 75mg( that's what it says on the bottle) and she feels fine!
    Sparrabeth- Never say we Die!

No matter what Ted and Terry wrote, Jack and Liz love each other.

My daughter has a friend who found her brother, he hung himself. He was on a drug for depression. I know he was having problems also but it made me wonder if the drug caused it. I am glad your kitties and David made you decide against it, that would definetely not solve anything for you, life is precious even thought I know its really hard sometimes.

I am glad you are doing better.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Oh Donna ((((HUGS))))

I am so sorry that you're in such a low place right now. I wish I could be there to hug you in person and help you. I am praying the results of the MRI come back with good news, and not news of a tumor. If it is a tumor, please let pray its benign and operable~!

I have no experience with either drug, but YES the doctors are in cohoots with the drug companies. My doctor admitted it -- he said the more you prescribe of their drug, the more free samples and stuff they give. He said he mostly prescribes so he gets free samples to give to people like you and me. He has given me several months' worth of free samples because of this practice. I guess it evens out - help those that need it and make those that have good benefits pay more

JenBKR,

One of the reasons I'm switching doctors is because THIS particular practice wouldn't up it to 40 mgs and complete the PPA paperwork unless I came into see him (I was just there a few weeks prior - nothing had changed since then). I felt that all this jerk wanted to do was bill an office visit. They refused to send in my paperwork (they still have it as a matter of face) to PPA. A friend of mine who is an accupuncturist, said I should report the practice to the Medical Board. I'm seriously thinking about it.

David and I talk on the phone daily, although we've never met. He's a wonderful friend who has given me his shoulder MANY times to cry on, even if it is over the phone.

I was on effexor prior to paxil. THAT stuff is NASTY!!!!!! We'll see what happens on Saturday. Thanks for being there for me. You're such a great friend and I appreciate your help. At least I'm over this particular meltdown.

HUGS

Donna
    Last edited by moosmom; 06-01-2006 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    JenBKR,

One of the reasons I'm switching doctors is because THIS particular practice wouldn't up it to 40 mgs and complete the PPA paperwork unless I came into see him (I was just there a few weeks prior - nothing had changed since then). I felt that all this jerk wanted to do was bill an office visit. They refused to send in my paperwork (they still have it as a matter of face) to PPA. A friend of mine who is an accupuncturist, said I should report the practice to the Medical Board. I'm seriously thinking about it.
    That's ridiculous! I think you are exactly right, they just wanted to bill you the office visit. I sure hope you can find a better doctor! Kim brought up a good point, can your doctor give you samples of your medication? My sister's on Effexor and has no insurance, and our doctor gives her samples all the time because she can't afford it otherwise. If this doctor doesn't, maybe your next doc can.

Quote Originally Posted by JenBKR
    Oh how scary! What I hate about doctors (and drug companies) is that they never tell you the whole story. Most drugs for depression (SSRIs) don't necessarily work forever, your body will start to build up an immunity to it. You can either take a higher dose of the drug you're on, try a different drug, or try a combination of drugs. The problem is that docs don't tell you that your body may have this effect, so when this happens to someone, they start to get depressed again. Not only that, they start to think that they will never really get better, because they think that even medication can't help them. That's where the sucicidal thoughts can come in (not to mention that every drug does not work ideally for every person, and it sounds like Wellbutrin was not a good fit for you).

On a side note, I noticed that you put david's picture there with your cats, which made me smile. I know how much he cares about you, so when you get depressed try to think about him. Hey, have you guys ever actually met?

Donna, if you ever need to talk just PM me, I have been through depression myself and so has my mom, so I do understand what you are going through. ((((hugs))))
    Not yet, Jen, but when I talk to her on the phome she seems to brighten up. I ALWAYS want to be there for her!

Quote Originally Posted by david p
    Not yet, Jen, but when I talk to her on the phome she seems to brighten up. I ALWAYS want to be there for her!
    Alright, you two are just too cute, I think you need to meet up!!

Donna, I was on Webutrin for a while. Made me want to drive my car into a telephone pole. I will never be able to take that stuff again. It really gave me quite a scare. I am now on Celexa, and Cymbalta. Quite a few other meds to go with it too. These are the main ones though. Topomax is another, Abilify too.

Hope you get to feeling better, Donna.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Hey yall. I'm currently going nuts here. I've had the hardest past few days myself. I've taken those things when I was younger. But not for very long at all.

Ask your doc about Lexapro. My hubby is a pharmacist and he says it should be better.

Hugs... I know I need help right now too. Unfortunetly I don't get to see the counselor till Wed when hubby can watch human baby.