Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need serious input!

Need serious input!

I'm going to try to make this as clear as I can.... and all based on the facts as I know them.

I have a German Shep puppy in my class, she started the intermediate level tonight. She came to me as a young puppy just rescued from the woman's mom. The mom had her chained to a dog house outside and treated her AWFUL. The woman and her husband told the mom that they were rescuing the puppy from her.

Fast forward a few months. Holly is now 6 months. She is going to the vet tomorrow for blood tests related to her spay (which is not yet offically sheduled). Holly is a strong headed little girl who prefers to NOT listen to mom and dad when they ask her to sit, come, stay, etc. But they are (were?) really working with her and I was starting to see some real progress. Her puppy class ended last month, and they wanted to send her to intermediate right away but they were in the process of moving. Turns out they lost the house they were in the middle of buying and they moved in with the mom for an undetermined amount of time. The move happened last week.

I saw Holly last week. She seemed fine, a little wilder than usual but mom and dad said it was because she was crated more since they were busy moving boxes. That was a completely understandable reason.

I saw Holly tonight. I was APPALED. She snapped at another dog, whose owner threatended to leave class if ever Holly does that again, she nipped at me, she tried to snap another coworker's face. She snapped at mom and really growled agressively several times during the class. She brked like crazy (not typically of her -- she'd bark before but a few woofs and she was done)

Now, I was thinking the move upset her. Then we figure in that she's been left alone more than she's been used to. Then add in the fact that she back to living with the woman who initially abused her as a tiny pup. Perhaps she's about to go into heat? Perhaps our hot and hmid weather is affecting her?

I was upset aout this abrupt change in Holly and stayed after class discussing the change with her parents. They left with me promising to look into why she might be reacting so badly.

Then.......

my coworker approached me after they left. She said she saw the husband PUNCH Holly in the FACE!!!!!! I could cry. I can't believe he would do that since I've watched him work so well with her. She's come so far. But I AHVE to believe my coworker since she'd never lie about somethign like that. Could it be that he's frustrated with her new behavior and he reacted only once like that? Could it be that he's been steadily hitting her and nobody's been witness to it?

What do I say to him? HOW do I say it? I have to say something if he's been seen hitting her. Its my responsibility as a positive trainer to say something - even if its not in my job description I can't personally ignore abuse.

HELP.

I've had such a great relationship with this couple and the dog has been a sweetheart til now. She honestly seems to have developed a second personality. Anyone have any ideas what might be the real root of the situation?

IMO, that type of physical interaction with a dog is abuse. Plain ole abuse.

I would ask the couple to stay after one day to further their lesson in training.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I strongly agree with what Kay said- that's abuse.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I know its abuse. I just don't know how to handle it, or just how much of Holly's behavior is from him or other external factors. I WILL be approaching them about hte punch. I CAN NOT let that one go without me bringing it up. I am just so upset because they were so serious about treating her right and getting her out of the abusive situation the mom kept her in.... and here they are abusing her themselves.

I'm so heartbroken right now. Holly is a sweet little girl. She had come so far.... and to see her tonight just shocked me.

i would tell the man that a witness came to you saying they saw him hit the dog. you don't want people seeing someone treat a dog like that in front of the training center. just the right person might see him do it and think "it happend in front of a training center, it must be ok to hit my dog." she may be comming into heat. Gracie always gets a lil out of control when she's in heat, but she NEVER tries to bite anyone. if the dog was trying to bite him when he punched the dog explain to him that there are other ways to correct this behavior.

GOOD LUCK!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

The hardest part, is that if you outright accuse him, he may get hostile or defensive. Maybe you could bring it up that a co-worker saw they were having some problems as they were leaving and thought they could use some suggestions of how to control the dogs behavior. Obviously if you see it yourself, or if it seems to be continuing you may need to take more drastic measures. Obviously punching a dog is never okay, but if there is a less confrontational way to bring it up, he may be more receptive.

I also strongly agree with Kay. - that poor pup! I hope you can help her. Even if he does get frusturated with her, that is NO excuse to treat her the way he does. Good luck and please, please keep us updated!!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr

I would ask the couple to stay after one day to further their lesson in training.
    I strongly agree with Kay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    I know its abuse. I just don't know how to handle it, or just how much of Holly's behavior is from him or other external factors. I WILL be approaching them about hte punch. I CAN NOT let that one go without me bringing it up. I am just so upset because they were so serious about treating her right and getting her out of the abusive situation the mom kept her in.... and here they are abusing her themselves.

I'm so heartbroken right now. Holly is a sweet little girl. She had come so far.... and to see her tonight just shocked me.
    I'd be careful how you approach the punch, while it would be hard not to directly address the incident it may push them away and distroy any hope of helping this poor dog. Do you offer private training? When I have a class member who I suspect is using physical punishment I find that they relax and come clean on their own turf much more than if I were to take them aside after class. I do offer a no charge private session for these cases as I think that I may loose an opportunity to have a positive effect on the dog otherwise. Just a thought...
    Oh, I never introduced myself...I'm new here! I'm proudly owned by 5 dogs and am a behaviorist in Alberta Canada (owner of Diamond in the "Ruff" Inc.)

Whether he's frustrated or not, it gives him NO reason to harm a dog (or ANY animal) in ANY way!!

I would call the Humane Society or Animal Control. This pup needs to stop being abused.

Sure, the parents may be training her and trying their best, but they are (possibly) still abusing her.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Quote Originally Posted by BC_MoM
    Whether he's frustrated or not, it gives him NO reason to harm a dog (or ANY animal) in ANY way!!

I would call the Humane Society or Animal Control. This pup needs to stop being abused.

Sure, the parents may be training her and trying their best, but they are (possibly) still abusing her.
    I agree.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I think that even if a Holly has only been abused once or twice...especially to those levels (firstly by the way the mom treated her and secondly by being punched in the face) she may very well react the way she did(or still does) despite being sweet before. As the others suggested, you should definitely bring the abuse up with the husband because we all know that that is cruel for someone to hit a dog. So sorry for all the stress you have to deal with. Hope this situation turns for the better!

Quote Originally Posted by lisahumphreys882
    I think that even if a Holly has only been abused once or twice...especially to those levels (firstly by the way the mom treated her and secondly by being punched in the face) she may very well react the way she did(or still does) despite being sweet before. As the others suggested, you should definitely bring the abuse up with the husband because we all know that that is cruel for someone to hit a dog. So sorry for all the stress you have to deal with. Hope this situation turns for the better!
    I agree with this. I truly don't believe the weather or hormones can cause a dog to snap *continuously* and consistently over a very short time period (the class is only, what, an hour long?). She obviously sustained some serious abuse during the period before the move and after the move because she's gone back into her hand-shy state of mind. IMO, 1) she's probably receiving very little positive human interaction at home and 2) the little interaction she does receive tends to air on the negative side - crating for prolonged periods of times, screaming, yelling (kicking the crate even?). If she barks like a maniac in class, I have to wonder if she barks when she's being crated...

My guess is that Holly was abused during the move because of her owner's stress. I have no doubt in my mind that if the man had the audacity to punch Holly in open public, he had the will to punch her and neglect her at home. I'm not saying that he's "evil" or anything, but the stress of moving and losing a home is overwhelming. I pity the man He must not enjoy hurting Holly like that since they obviously have the commitment to devote several hours and a large sum of money on the pup. I think the root of the problem must lie further down than just a failed move. Does this man *like* living with his mother? Is Holly getting abused by the mother again or is she just not receving any attention at all?

I'd call the couple aside after a lesson and calmly find out what's really going on. Be compassionate and helpful and I think they'd love to continue extensive personal training. Oh dear, good luck! :/

my coworker approached me after they left. She said she saw the husband PUNCH Holly in the FACE!!!!!!
    She should have been on the phone to animal control before that guy ever got out of the parking lot. If he did it in the store , he does it all the time. Holly will soon be an unpredictable dog, bite someone and be pts if he continues to treat her like this.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla