Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Odd behavior

Odd behavior

Do any of your dogs have odd behavior?

Today beat everything. My golden retriever, Honey, has been quite the bird hunter all summer, literally catching them when they land on the ground. But today, she did something extraordinary. She brought me a rat, the size of a squirrel. I didn't know whether to say thank you, or fuss. Actually I'm glad she got it, but I can't believe I had a rat in my yard! The exterminator is coming and everything is back to normal.

Wow not many dogs are that fast. I bet he would be acelant at flyball!!!!! I love smile faces!!!

[This message has been edited by JKRJG24 (edited August 08, 2000).]

I have a 8 year old Border Collie who nibbles on our 6 year old terrier mix dog Both are males and nuetered, and the Collie is definately the dominate dog. The terrier sometimes seems nervous when the nibbling is taking place, but usually seems to enjoy it. Is this the older dogs way of showing dominance?

My Hannah (a cockapoo) hates to go outside first thing in the morning. We have a lovely fenced in back yard and the weather has been beautiful, but I literally have to chase her around the house and sometime put her on a leash to lead her to the door. Then the challenge is to get her off the deck. I think she resents the fact that I don't go with her anymore, like I did before we put up the fence. Either that or something about the grass being wet with dew. What do you think?

When my neighbor lets Nikki(her boxer)out in the morning she will run around on the drivway but she will not go in the wet grass!! She dose the same thing after it rains!!!

[This message has been edited by JKRJG24 (edited August 25, 2000).]

I think this so adorable (and of course brillant)that Cody (gr/yl mix)wakes me up with a whine and a kiss the second he hears my alarm. He knows the name of all his toys and can find his leash wherever I leave it. In the morning he mischieviously goes down our hill (me in slippers so I can't nab him) and rolls and rolls in the dewy wet grass and will lay there playing dead until I threaten to go inside and lock him out! On snowy morns esp he will stay out for what seems forever and just run and roll and dig until the yard looks like a bomb hit it. Ya really can't get angry-it's just so cute no matter how wet he gets.I've learned to get up earlier because it's so predictable. We also built a cememnt porch in back which he has REFUSED to even walk on (goes around) cause I think it ruined his routine and he liked the yard exactly like it WAS!

That is sooooooooooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THX JKRJG24..being a 1st time dog owner thru years of hell, (didn't know what Alpha was) everything he does is amazing-he understands everything. I mean he'll never win obedience trials or anything but all I constantly say is "How did he learn to do that?" and watch him with such amazement. I guess I did ok training him after all. We have an amazing kinship that defies description. I love him with all my heart and soul and every inch of my being-sopping wet in my house and all

My dog, Cleo (a cockerpoo), always uses the sidewalk when playing fetch. I'll throw the ball, and she'll chase it (running on the grass), but when she returns with the ball, she trots down the sidewalk (very funny to watch!).

We had a Westie that did the same thing. We found out that she was allergic to the grass, and it hurt her feet.

Originally posted by k-9kids:
    I have a 8 year old Border Collie who nibbles on our 6 year old terrier mix dog Both are males and nuetered, and the Collie is definately the dominate dog. The terrier sometimes seems nervous when the nibbling is taking place, but usually seems to enjoy it. Is this the older dogs way of showing dominance?
    to K-9kids,
    I have a dog named Jake who is also 8 years old and he is a toy poodle.he has a weird behaiviour of catching mice that are outside in our backyard,he recently caught a baby one which is good cause with him around we'll never need an exterminator,ever. He's sooo smart and he's even an exelnt runner and diver and swimmer. I also have a mouse who i bought from the petshop at liverpool shopping centre in february this year and she is a beautiful mouse and everyone always says how beatiful she is and plus my dog is always trying to eat her but i keep her safe all the time. He also always when i associate with her by holding her or even paying any sort of attention he'll usually jump up on me or scratch me till i put her awy back in the cage.What should i do about this situation i am concerned about at the moment?

-Red RUBY

Ihg0962:

Star is the consumate hunter. (YLRD) From the time she was a pup she would hunt out mice, then squirrels, once a skunk, which she hid in the woodpile for use at a future time (took me months to find out where the smell was coming from) opposum and finally, yes, the dreaded HUGE rat. From the window I saw her trot with pride across the patio; dead corpse swinging in the wind, and thought I would puke!! Didn't kiss her for weeks! Finally she dropped it; at the back door!!! EXTERMINATOR!! The worse though was the time I watched her with a squirrel in her mouth; I made sure when she came in the squirrel was out of sight; no squirrel. Then we sit together, she at my feet sleeping. Get up, go into kitchen; look back. AHHH! I thought I was going crazy. There, where my feet were, lay a grey, furry pile, streaked in red. I thought I was going nuts. I knew she hadn't brought it in with her. Lightbulb moment: She actually threw up the entire squirrel WHOLE!! My vet says some dogs just have that predator/prey instinct more than others; giving them squeaky toys that look like squirrels doesn't help. Past year: No confirmed kills, thank God! A cute thing she does is prance to the doorway to greet me as I enter the room, hopping on her hind legs, front paws bent and half-jumping and wiggling like a fish does when being reeled in, wriggling in the air. Cody sounds so adorable, Karen.

My GSD has had the occasion to confront, up close, a bird and a chipmunk. Instead of killing them, she licked their faces and let them go!!
    Su

As I said, Star hasn't hunted a fly for the past year, after her puppyhood. In fact, she preens and washes the faces of my GSD Cody, my 2 furkitties, sleeps with my bunny, who has the run of the house, and trots around gently giving my parakeet a ride on her back. She loves little babies, is very protective of children, and shows love to everyone. Perhaps it was an infantile stage and the environment. My dogs have 3 fenced acres with woods, in which to play and explore.