Thread: Bluetick Coonhounds

Bluetick Coonhounds

my boyfriend keeps talkin about getting a bluetick coonhound someday. he says "you have your great danes. i want a coonhound!" i figger sooner or later he's gonna drag one home, so i figger i might as well learn something about the breed.

how is their prey drive?
    are they energetic?
    do they have any common health problems?
    how much do they normally weigh?
    any more info would be nice.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Hi there! My BIL breeds and trains Blue Ticks and Red Ticks. Blue Ticks are incredible dogs. Most do have a high prey drive, because that's their job in life -- to hunt. My BIL's adult dogs aren't too high energy, but he also hunts them during season, and trains with them the rest of the year, so they burn a lot of that off. If you weren't going to hunt with them, I would suggest giving them another type of "job" so that they are stimulated mentally and physically.

The health problems I'm aware of in the breed are HD, luxating patellas, and eye problems. My BIL's females are around 60lbs, and the males around 70lbs. I believe that is fairly standard. At least compared to the other's around here.

All in all, as I said before, they're great dogs. They're incredibly loyal, highly intelligent, sweet as can be, and can be protective of their home and family. You should definitely see if there are any in your area that you can get to know. Quite an amazing breed of dog.
    There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
    -- Elie Wiesel

I'm not fimiliar with the breed. I would try using a search engine. There is tons of info if you do a search.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

thanks EastJenn!

Husky_mom, i'm checkin out those links ight now.

because this dog(IF the boyfriend gets one) wn't be a show dog i ant to adopt a bluetick. any bluetick rescues anyone knows of? i'm having a hard time finding them.

Here's a pretty Blue-Tick Coonhound...

They are wonderful dogs. All hounds - Beagles, Coon and Bloodhounds are sweet and devoted pets!!!

You should try Petfinder. This one is in Jefferesonville, IN.

Notes: What a loveable girl...she was so happy to get attention! She is a young girl and would be a fantastic companion for someone to go out walking/jogging with. This girl deserves a forever home. Come and visit her and you will see how sweet she is. Adoption fee: $80 females/$70 males. Includes spay/neuter, rabies, microchip, and all shots. The Vet comes 1 a week, usually on Wednesday. If you adopt before Tuesday at closing, your pet will be spay/neutered on Wednesday, and you can take home on Thursday. Shelter Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30-4:30 Saturday 8:30-4:00 "Adopting a pet may not change the world, but it will change the world of that pet!"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is another Beauty. Check out the ticking on this girl!!! She is currently unavailable as she gave birth to 12 pups. YES 12 !!!

But she will be available after weaning them!!!

Here's Another...

And Finally, This Guy...

There Are Quite A Few Adoptable Coonhounds On Petfinder. It Just Depends On How Far You Are Willing To Travel!!!

thank you so much! that last boy is pretty cute! i know the boyfriend will want a male. he wants "a real man's dog" as he says.

i want to just look around for now. we're moving in together later this year. we probably won't get one until then. i know i'll have my hands full for a while with a new dane pup when i get him in August.

that poor dog! i can't belive someone dumped her when she was that pregnant! 12 pups is A LOT!! atleast they didn't dump her on a aside road to have them in the wild.

Here is a good site to go on: dogbreedinfo.com

EDIT: scroll all the way down and there are pictures of more.
    Last edited by shihtzulover850; 05-24-2006 at 11:03 AM.