Thread: Trainng question

Question Trainng question

as you all know i own a 1 yr old Bloodhound. I have noticed lately that he wont listen to commands when i am sitting down. Why would he act this way?? and how can i correct it???
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I'm not sure how to correct it. Maybe he does that because he's such a big dog and when you sit down you are at his level, so he thinks you are his equal? Not sure, hope someone can give more help then I did!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I would say that that's a good observation dab. Whenever I get on the floor my dogs' respect for me go right down the toilet.

thats exactly what i thought it was!! He listens to me great other wise. I just need to figure out how to get him to listen to me while sitting!!
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by critter crazy
    thats exactly what i thought it was!! He listens to me great other wise. I just need to figure out how to get him to listen to me while sitting!!

Perhaps some on-leash work with you sitting, so you can give him a "tug-correct" when he ignores you ...

I would say train him the way you normally would except while you're sitting down. Don't let him get away with ignoring a command because this will just reinforce in him the thought that you're his equal when you're down at his level.

Dog Art Studio - Cool dog stuff and dog searchword puzzles

Dogs don't generealize. They think commands are only obeyed the way they were taught. Its up to you to train them that a command is a command regardless where you are or what you're doing.

You trained them standing up, most likely standing right in front of them. They learned that commands are obeyed when standing. They never had to obey a command while you were sitting. You need to start on simple commands while sitting (like "sit") if he doesn't sit, say a sharp sound to get his attention and motion for sit along with the verbal command. Offer treats and praise for doing it while seated. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Many people fail to realize just how imporant this is

It makes perfect snse that he would associte commands with standing, duhh!!! But i have to say he is the first to ignore while sitting!! Well there is a first time for everything! I have started his training again, this time while sitting. as long as i can get his attention, and use our hand signals he is doing very well. I do have to say that the puppy (jake) is catching on very quickly!! he mirrors everything that i have Duke do! he is so great! all the puppy needs to learn is Stay!! he he he!!
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!