View Poll Results: What's Your Favorite Nordic breed?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Siberian Husky

18 43.90%
  • MacKenzie River Husky

1 2.44%
  • Canadian Eskimo

2 4.88%
  • Samoyed

2 4.88%
  • Alaskan Malamute

10 24.39%
  • Polar Husky

1 2.44%
  • Greenland Dog

0 0%
  • Alaskan Husky

4 9.76%
  • Other

3 7.32%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Nordic Breed?

Ok, maybe I'll vote for Polar Husky because that's the only nordic breed I have at this time...but I can't wait to get my Sibe pup!

Thanks *sled_dog* for the siggy!!

Quote Originally Posted by bckrazy
    Are Alaskan Huskies really a breed? I thought they were, simply, a Husky mixed with something else to create a nice sledding dog?
    No, the Alaskan Husky is not a recognized breed. There is no breed standard, no association that accepts them, no breed registries, no limit on what the mix can be ect. The Alaskan is simply a dog bred specificially to work as a sled dog. Most modern Alaskan Huskies have very little Siberian in them. The most popular mixes right now are CoonHounds and German Short-Haired pointers. For most, you'd have to go back 5 generations or more to find a purebred Siberian in their pedigree.

But since my yard is full of them, I guess they are my favorite! I've never met a Northern dog I didn't like though. I'm going to play with some Canadian Eskimo dog puppies tonight!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

3. Easy pick for me.. 'Siberian Husky'

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    No, the Alaskan Husky is not a recognized breed. There is no breed standard, no association that accepts them, no breed registries, no limit on what the mix can be ect. The Alaskan is simply a dog bred specificially to work as a sled dog. Most modern Alaskan Huskies have very little Siberian in them. The most popular mixes right now are CoonHounds and German Short-Haired pointers. For most, you'd have to go back 5 generations or more to find a purebred Siberian in their pedigree.

But since my yard is full of them, I guess they are my favorite! I've never met a Northern dog I didn't like though. I'm going to play with some Canadian Eskimo dog puppies tonight!
    Oh, yeah, I just put Alaskans on here because they pull! I know they're not a breed.

Thanks *sled_dog* for the siggy!!

If Nordic includes the Spitz breeds, I will say Akita of course!

----<---<--<{(@

Siberian Husky!! Not only my favorite nordic breed, but my favorite dog breed.

Quote Originally Posted by bckrazy
    I voted for Sibes, I love them.

Are Alaskan Huskies really a breed? I thought they were, simply, a Husky mixed with something else to create a nice sledding dog?
    I think Alaskan Huskies are a seperate breed, I remember when I went to Lapland, the guide was telling us about the Alaskan Husky, but I've forgotten a lot of it as it was very early in the morning! But I remember her saying that the Alaskan Husky is the original husky, it's leaner, quicker and more spirited than the sibe, which was made to be chunkier and friendlier. I don't know if that's true or not but I remember reading somewhere that they're a different breed. I voted Alaskan Husky anyway as they were such amazing dogs when I went on the Husky safari in Lapland

Zimbabwe 07/13

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z
    I think Alaskan Huskies are a seperate breed, I remember when I went to Lapland, the guide was telling us about the Alaskan Husky, but I've forgotten a lot of it as it was very early in the morning! But I remember her saying that the Alaskan Husky is the original husky, it's leaner, quicker and more spirited than the sibe, which was made to be chunkier and friendlier. I don't know if that's true or not but I remember reading somewhere that they're a different breed. I voted Alaskan Husky anyway as they were such amazing dogs when I went on the Husky safari in Lapland

They are not a breed. Alaskan Husky is a fancy word for Mutt! The Siberian has been around much, much longer than the Alaskan Husky. Siberians are the basis for the Alaskan. The Siberian was bred to pull a moderate load at a moderate speed for a very long way. The Malamute was bred to pull extremely heavy loads a long way. If you wanted to move your house, you took a team of huskies. If you wanted to move your village you took a team of Malamutes. If you just want to show up your buddy, you take a team of Alaskans.

The Alaskan is bred to pull a very light load, very fast. The breeds mixed in to Alaskans tend to be ones that are easier to train Siberians. The goal originally was to retain the Sibes coat, desire to pull and work ethic, but add some speed and trainability. Unfortunately, many modern Alaskan Huskies have lots some important traits for a sled dogs, particularly the ability to withstand cold temperatures. I see sled dogs all the time now who need as much clothing as their mushers to run in the winter.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving