Thread: New cat is attacking me

New cat is attacking me

About 3 weeks ago I brought home a male kitty (named Jake) from the local shelter for their foster care program. He was very sick with a URI so I nursed him back to health. He is about 1-2 years old approx. and is not yet neutered. He has always been so sweet, loving, and gentle up until about 3 days ago. I was on my cell phone sitting next to him arguing with someone, and all of a sudden Jake attacked me from behind. He was growling and biting at my head, and got worse each time I moved. For the past three days, any time I raise my voice even if it is in a happy manner, like calling the dog for food, he gets agressive and tries to attack me; bitting, growling, chasing me even! Does anyone have any idea what would bring on this behavior all of a sudden? He has done this about five times now, and today has been the worst, I cannot figure it out. Thanks!

Has he been neutered yet?

Unneutered males do have a more agressive and territorial instinct in them. He might hear the tone of voice as a threat - and who knows what he went through and learned about louder voices before he arrived at the shelter?

Chat with your vet, and if money is a problem, ask if there are spay-neuter funds around. Even on Google, you can type in "free spay and neuter in ****(name of province or state)" and get some resources.

Good for you for rescuing this guy! I am sure he appreciates your nursing him to health after that nasty URI - now his hormones might be acting up.

hugs
    Catty1
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

What a good person you are to help out Jake!!! I just think he needs to be fixed!!! Keep up the good work!!
    Nine is Fine!!

Thanks so much for the advice! I hope it works! Luckily they do offer neutering services for free with the foster kitties so we are going to get that taken care of ASAP.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    He may have been mistreated in his prior home where there may have been a lot of loud voices arguing and such or maybe even they yelled at him. He may feel threatened by loud voices or noises.

Getting him neutered ASAP may help, but it will take time for the male hormones to get out of his system.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10