Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We Finally Got It

We Finally Got It

After coming home from work the other night only to discover Jamie had torn up a couch cushion of our BRAND NEW COUCH we hadn't even had two days yet.. HJ put his foot down, and finally got a crate. I've been telling him this for about a year now we needed to get one, but they were "too expensive" and he did not tell me this then, but he thought you couldn't pack them up and put them away when they weren't being used. I told him, "honey, if you couldn't pack them up, then how do they fit in the boxes when you first buy them?" lol

So we got a crate for Jamie, I was really really worried, I wanted to condition her to it before leaving her in it all day, just to see how she would react to being in it. Monday night we got it and we were going to set it up and put her in it overnight, but I had to be at work at 8am so went to bed early, and HJ didn't set it up The next day I thought would be a PERFECT day to get her used to being in it, because HJ didn't have to be at work until 1, and I got off at 4, so she would only be in it for a few hours home alone by herself.

Didn't work out that way. Two people did not show up yesterday at all at work, and I got stuck closing the store as well. a 12+ hour day. I didn't get home until nearly 9pm and was really, really worried that Jamie tore up the crate or figured out how to open it, or was barking her head off and we would have noise complaints from the neighbors.....

So I got home (HJ didn't get off till 10)..... and she was laying in the crate like a good girl!! The house was in perfect condition, just as we'd left it (or as HJ left it, since he was the last home) and she did not pee or anything!!! Our roommate said she did bark A LOT at first (before he left for work) but I'm assuming she gave up after awhile.

I was soooooooooooo proud of her! Finally a solution!!

But now I'm worried I'm going to let my guard down, and when I do, she'll figure out how to open it or something LOL knowing Jamie.....

We should have done this SO much earlier!!! And I would have, too, but HJ didn't want to...

facebook

Sorry it took the expense of your couch for him to get a crate but I am glad that the introduction to it went well.
    I thought your roommate moved out?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Oh yes, our old one did, we got a new one. He is much, much, much nicer and cooler and mature. And LESS MESSY!!

Well the good thing about the couch cushion, its weird... there is like a square cushion with an egg foam mattress ontop of the cusion. The egg foam is the only thing she tore up, I can easily get one from Walmart and cut it down to replace it. The zipper, however, is broken.

I don't think its not that he didn't want to get one so much that he didn't think it would be collapsable and store easily If he would have told me that was the ONLY thing holding him back..... we would have had one six months ago, easily!

facebook

How would you recommend conditioning her to being used to being in it?? I don't want to ONLY put her in it when I leave because that will teach her that when she goes in, I leave. Should I put her in periodically during the day while I'm home too? Should I cover it? Leave it uncovered? Leave a TV/radio on?

When I am home and she is inside, should I tell her "NO" for barking/whining or ignore completely?

facebook

Jessika,

I've been thinking for quite a while that you should have crates. Being away so much and working long hours, it seemed like your dogs were being "a little bad". When you were talking about your room-mate and how they were moving out/on... and all the problems you had. You were mentioning about peeing and in the beds and what not... I was thinking, "now if there is ever a girl who could use a crate, Jessika is one". It is not a punishment, if just contains them. In fact, when we finally stopped crating Ginger, she was sad and would go into her crate - door wide open and unlocked, and sleep at night. When we were leaving the house, she was at door or window watching us and sometimes barking, but if we forgot something or had to come back, we would find her in her crate laying down.

When we actually took the crate away, she was real confused and kept looking for it. She would even slump down on the floor and sleep where it used to be. I think if used appropriately and after they get used to it, there's actually a sense of security for them when in it. And you won't have to worry about those unwanted or surprise pees or droppings anymore!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    How would you recommend conditioning her to being used to being in it?? I don't want to ONLY put her in it when I leave because that will teach her that when she goes in, I leave. Should I put her in periodically during the day while I'm home too? Should I cover it? Leave it uncovered? Leave a TV/radio on?

When I am home and she is inside, should I tell her "NO" for barking/whining or ignore completely?

Yes, putting her in there for a few minutes at a time when you are home should help, so will feeding her in it. ALWAYS make it a happy safe place.

I wouldn't really cover it unless she starts barking a lot and only leave it covered if it actually helps with the barking. And I;d only leave a radio/tv on if you are FOR sure that it won't go into static noise or have any other problems that may irritate your dog. If you do decide to leave it on then leave it on a very low volume level.

As far as telling her no or ignoring her, I guess you could do it either way. Personally at first I would try to ignore her. Because if you tell her no & she listens to you, but then she barks when you are not there, no one tells her no she may think it is ok to bark and bark and bark and bark. Of course if she is barking a LOT you may need to resort to the NO.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Well we have a game we played... I am trying to associate "in" and "crate" with her going into the crate. Once in, I get REALLYYYYY EXCITED and close the door, and continue staying excited. Then I take treats and drop them down from the top of the crate. This is with the door closed.

Another game I play is I will leave the door open and start playing with a toy and get her attention, then toss it in the crate. When she enters the crate to retrieve it, I get REALLY excited.

So I shouldn't cover it unless I really feel the need to, alrighty. Annnd I think I will try to ignore her as much as possible, I told her one sharp "NO!" and she stopped barking/whining/digging instantly. When she calms down I will go get her and get very excited and let her out.

And Bob's Dad, Jamie and Charlie were not the ones peeing on the bed, it was our roommate's dog Peanut who was doing that, marking in the house, pooping in the house.... I think it was him that led Jamie to pee in the house as much as she did, maybe she was marking to cover him, I don't know. Because we had a friend over with another chi mix who marked in the corner Peanut would ALWAYS mark at, and Jamie didn't do anything, so I think it was just Peanut LOL The only problems I had with Jamie is that she would get very destructive when we would leave the house out of boredom. No matter how well we tried to puppy proof the house, every time she would find the ONE thing we forgot, or just be really bad and go straight for our brand new couch. lol

facebook

I would not get excited when you let her out, then she thinks that being let out is SO MUCH fun, she may start to act up in the crate, barking, scratching, trying to get out, etc.. & who wouldn't when there's all that excitment when you get let out.

I would treat it just like anything else, if you follow the NILIF rules I would make her obey a command before she exits the crate, if not that just let her out like it is a normal everyday thing. Don't act excited, don;t act dissapointed, just act normal.

Personally I like to leave the crate uncovered if possible, for obvious reasons, there is more air circulation.

And you are on the right track, never ler her out if she is behaving in a manor that is not acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika

Wew ignored Ginger and now Bob's barking, when they were inside crate and we were home. Usually they gave up. If they got to crazy and really drove us crazy, we would say "NO" and maybe a pet on the head through cage and go back to ignoring. It helps to leave a chewing toy or two. Also leave your door to cage wide open so they can go into on own if they feel like it. When they do, if they do, praise them like they just did a "wonderful thing" anf=d give them a treat. Make sure to set the treat inside the cage. If they are still in it, then you will giving it to then for being in it. If they have come back out by time you got the treat, then you are encouraging them to go back in by placing it in the cage for her to get.

Sometimes when they go in and slump down, just casually go over and quietly , without making a fuss, close the door and latch it. They may stand up and act like they want out but if you ignore they will slump back down. Just arbitrarily go over at some time and unlock it and open but don't necessarily "call them out" This way they will get used to the fact that sometimes it's open, sometimes it's not - no big deal and they can handle it!!!

Some people like to leave on radio or TV - I don't. I am purist and I think it is a waste of electricity, not to mention the wear on your picture tube.

I would not cover it as it seems to make them even more anxious when they hear something and can not see it.

Hmm good points, guys, thanks a bunch

I do make her sit before opening the door to let her out. And good point about not being excited when I let her out - I had never even thought of that

Anyway any pointers from ANYONE is great and appreciated! Thanks a bunch, guys!!!

EDIT: OH crate placement. We have it in our living area now. Is that recommended? Our room would be perfect, but with the moving and new couch we have a chair up there and there is NO room for the crate lol I prefer it being in the living area, anyway, because that's where we are most of the day and where most of the activity happens.

facebook

Crating

We are working with our 7 month puppy on crating as well. Something that works extremely well for us is peanut butter in his kong. He only gets this when he goes into the crate for our away time, so when he sees it come out of the cupboard, he gets really excited. By the time he's got the toy licked clean, we've been gone for a while. Hope this helps!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by RBBM's Mom
    We are working with our 7 month puppy on crating as well. Something that works extremely well for us is peanut butter in his kong. He only gets this when he goes into the crate for our away time, so when he sees it come out of the cupboard, he gets really excited. By the time he's got the toy licked clean, we've been gone for a while. Hope this helps!
    Oh like buttering a cats paws. Welcome to PT!

Thumbs up

A lot of people think crating is cruel but they don't understand the principal behind it. My two Labs adore their crates and will sometimes go in them during the day for a snooze. At night when they come in after their last play/pee pee break they automatically go into their crates for the night. They have never had an accident in their crated except for two slight throwing up sessions. I crate them around 10 and am up by 5:30 or so.
    I always try to remember to take their collars off during crating time due to possible strangulation
    Labmomma

Thumbs up

Sounds like you're nailing the crate situation. It has to be something they enjoy and look forward to. When mine come in for the night they sit and wait for their treat, they lay down and I don't hear a peep out of them until I let them out in the morning. The morning greeting is exciting and they roll on the floor for belly rubs, and then go out for the run and play time.
    Just keep working at it and making the crate a place to enjoy and not dread. Having it out where activity occurs is also good. They can go in their crates on their own and not feel isolated. Mine do this several times a day.
    The two crates are in the adjacent sun room and they can see us if we are in there watching TV,etc. I gave away a daybed to make room for the two crates that take up an entire corner but it was worth it.

Good luck and keep on working on it. It'll all turn out great. Just wait and see
    Labmomma

Just an update!!

Firstly, DoubleOh seems to like it much better than Jaimers does... lol he regularly goes in it for a snooze and tries going inside every time we put Jaimers in it LOL

She will now go in it on command, "in" and if we point to it. She no longer barks, she will OCCASIONALLY whine, but not for long. If she is in the crate and hears the front door open and close (whether we're still home or not) she will freak and bark, thinking we left her, but she usually stops.

I'm soooo glad she is being good about this and catching on RATHER quickly! We had her in it overnight one night, just to see how she would do, and she whined a little bit... but did NOT bark AT ALL... and slept all night with no problems and without waking us up!

facebook