Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you sure he's comfy?

Are you sure he's comfy?

When he lays down his paws touch both sides

You do not want the crate too big, they feel secure in the crate because it is "cozy" just like a natural den that they would dig in the dirt. You want the crate "just" big enough so that he can stand, turn & lay down not so much to where he can sprawl all out.

It is a little hard to tell from the pic exactly how much room he does have, I think maybe because it is so close up and large???? But from what I can tell he should be just fine with that crate.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

better?

Post your crate with dog in it pics!!

He looks to be about the same size of Kaige & Kaige takes about that much room when he lays like that. Then sometimes Kaige curls all up in his crate & I'd be able to fit another dog in with him then. It's amazing how tiny they can get.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

What size is the crate? I, personally, would look into getting a bigger one, like a size up or something.

Molly's crate was almost 4x too large for her when she was a tiny pup, but she was fine in it, no accidents, she loved it.

I think Charlie is fine, but if he were my dog, I would exchange for a slightly bigger one. (Go to the next largest size)

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I might do that. When he layed on his side, his head was all up against it like an akward pillow all smooshed up lol. But then it could have been just how he was laying.

Ah, we got Jamie a crate finally Monday night too! This is like a learning experience for the both of us! Not to mention they look like they should be twins... But its put up and away now, can't get it out to take a pic of her in it. She doesn't really go in on her own still, we're working on it...

We got the crate from walmart that fits dogs up to 70lbs. Clearly an Aussie will never get up to 70lbs, at least mine aren't, Jamie is maybe 40lbs (Charlie is maybe 45, but this is pure guestimation as we don't have a scale to weigh them and they haven't been weighed in over a year).

As long as he has enough room to turn around and lay down and maybe stretch out a little, its fine. As previously stated you do NOT want one that is too big because it encourages some to potty in the crate if you're trying to house train. Dogs don't like going where they live or sleep (hence why mine have never peed on our bed.. we let them sleep with us) so smaller is better than larger, but not TOO small of course.

What are the dimensions on the crate (look on the box) and how big is your Charlie?

facebook

He's 50 lbs. The crate is the 36 24 27

It is nice to see that he has made himself at home in it. He looks comfy. Can't really tell.

When we crate trained out lab we had one big enough for a great dane apparently, lol It was huge! but I would consider getting one a little big bigger. I like the thought of a dog being able to stand and turn easily with a bit of extra room for stretching out

I think his crate looks fine. Since he has had potty issues I don't think you need a bigger crate at this time. I woudl just use that one for now and see how things go. It looks to be the right size for him, especially if he's not in it all the time.

I don't have any pics of my dogs in crate because they don't need to be crated anymore. I do have one up still for my older dog, it's her "safe place" when she gets upset or scared, so I leave it for her, but she doesn't often go there. I got mine crates a little bit bigger for them, but they were already house trained so potty wasnt an issue in the crate. He looks fine in tehre to me.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

It looks fine to me! He is adorable, good luck with all of his training. It will surely pay off

I got pics of Jamie in it, hehe.

Double-Oh HAD to be in the picture...

"LET ME OUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTT!"

Double-Oh: "Don't worry, I'll break ya outta there"
    Charlie: "*snickers* Mom is right there, you doof"

I just thought this one was pretty lol

Finally laying down

Staying like a good girl until she can come out

facebook

Maybe my Charlie wasn't as back as he should have been I dunno. lol Yours looks like they have more room than my Charlie.