Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Today I have to put my best friend to sleep...

Hybrid View

Today I have to put my best friend to sleep...

He was 4 months old here..

I know the picture is blurry, but it's my favorite one, and it's in a crystal frame..

His name is Evinrude Smudge, Smudgie for short... He is 10 and his bowel and bladder have given out...

So in ten minutes I'll be calling the vet to make an appointment for this afternoon... I've cut off a bit of his fur, and am going to do a Rainbow Bridge Memorial to him and have it mounted on particleboard.

I hardly slept last night, and my eyes are so sore from crying... who knew tear ducts don't dry out?

Today is going to be a very rough day... Please let me hold your virtual hands...

Consider my hand in yours. I am so sorry to hear what is ahead of you today. This is the horrible part of loving a pet - saying goodbye. Please know that you and your beloved kitty are in our thoughts today. I have been down that road before and I grieve with you.

Former User Guest
    Oh no..I know how you feel...I'm here for you too. I'm so sorry.

Your Smudgie was a beautiful baby. I can certainly understand why you love that picture so much. What wonderful memories you will always carry with you. I assume that Evinrude came from his wonderful motor! That is a precious name.

Please know that our thoughts and prayers will be with you this afternoon. Your baby will finally be free of all of his problems, and he will be joining some pretty special pets that all of us have lost over the years. Just take it one day at a time, and when you feel like it, come back and tell us all about Smudgie.

Logan

Oooh poor Smudgie - he was a well-loved cat, and will live on forever in your heart, curled up in a corner of it, purring away for those times when you need him most.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

LA my heart goes out to you - such a sad day for you. You'll hold all the precious memories of Smudgie for ever! And I'm holding your hand as you go into a very difficult day - god bless xxx

Lynne

Sorry to hear about poor smudge, at least he had a happy life with you.

Bye Smudge...Rest in Peace

You are doing the right thing. It is a difficult decision, to say the least, but a kind decision for sure.

I will think of you today.... I have done the same with three cats so far and each time it makes more sense to me, but it doesn't get any easier on me.

Bless you and your kitty.

My thoughts will be with you today. I have experienced the same and I know how hard and heart breaking it can be. We are all here for you.

He's gone... and he knew...

... Dad drove the long way and he was looking out the window at the fields and the geese.. He twisted around and put his head in the crook of my arm and just laid there... I told him over and over that I loved him and that I hope he forgives me...

Do you think he does?

Here's some shots I took this morning about 1/2 before we went for that long walk...

{{{LA and Smudgie}}} <- cyberhug.

Will hold you both in my thoughts and prayers. What a terribly difficult thing for you. Sometimes the loving, best thing is to allow love to be free.

I think your Rainbow Bridge memorial will bring you much relief and peace when you can face making it.

Regards.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Re: He's gone... and he knew...

Originally posted by L-A.
    ... told him over and over that I loved him and that I hope he forgives me... Do you think he does?...
    I believe he not only forgives you but thanks you for the release from pain. Forgive yourself now.

He looks so precious and loving. Do let us know when your tribute is up. I'd like to learn more about him.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Former User Guest

Re: He's gone... and he knew...

Originally posted by L-A.
    ... Dad drove the long way and he was looking out the window at the fields and the geese.. He twisted around and put his head in the crook of my arm and just laid there... I told him over and over that I loved him and that I hope he forgives me...

Do you think he does?

Yes, (I did exactly the same thing with my dog...) Smudgie for sure isn't mad for you doing this, don't think that! He knows that you loved him very much and he is grateful for the wonderful time you shared with him, the joy your brought for him, the good life your provided him. How can he hate you? He knows too that he was ill, and that it was his time. Animals also realise when it's their time to go. By what you told, he had a wonderful last day and last moments with you, he will always remember you with warmth, and he is watching you now from the Rainbow Bridge.

Take good care of yourself now and allow yourself to grief. If you feel like it, let us know how you are doing, ok? We know here at PT how you feel, and we are here for you, always.

Niina

PS. Gorgeous pics!

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes as I read your post and saw the beautiful pictures of your Smudgie. The decision you have had to make is one of the most difficult you will face in life. So many of us have had to make this decision and we are very glad that you came to us so we could reach out to you and share your grief.

Does Smudgie forgive you - oh yes, he isn't in pain anymore. Now you have to forgive yourself and realize that you did one of the kindest things for him aside from all of the love you gave him over the past ten years.

I know that every one of us reaches out to you and gives you a big hug and we wish we could take your pain away.

You will be kept in my prayers.

Now I'm crying...

(((((L-A and Smudgie ))))

I'm so very sorry about your loss, and I know how you feel, I've been through the same, like so many of us here... It's the hardest decision a pet "owner" has to make... You wonder if he forgives you, and I'm sure he will, because he knows that you made this decision to make an end to his suffering, and because you love him...

You and your beautiful Smudgie will be in my thoughts today.

Kirsten