Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We Have Water!!!

oh man!! now i have to let my pooches know they have to stop digging, i was hoping our holes meet at some point...............

GReat you hit water!! *happy dance* i´m so happy for you!!
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    Wooo hoooo!!!!

Might be a dumb question but.....what, if any, special precautions do you have to take to make sure nothing freezes during your eternal winter? I know my parents had to insulate their pipes.....but that was in the house. As far as I know, nothing special was done for the well itself. However, they are only in Wisconsin, which is North of me here in Chicago, but is WAY far South from you!
    I was wondering about that also. If you only use the pump while filling your tank, the water won't be flowing through the pipes all the time and so more likely to freeze solid. I also wondered about filtering the water, or can you guarantee its purity?

Anyway, many congratulations on hitting water at last. What an enormous relief to have both water and a good return on all that money.

What great news! I bet the driller was just as happy as you are.

O.K. now - water balloons anyone? (or is it too cold?)

Congrats!!

Do you have to take extra special measures to keep the pipes from freezing?
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Thats GREAT news!!! I am so happy for yous!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I don't know about the Yukon, but I grew up in northern Saskatchewan (which is definitely "up there") and we had well water. Generally you have to dig the pipes into the group so they are laid in the perma-frost and don't have issues with freezing in the winter. (yes when i moved down to DC most people had never heard the word "perma-frost" before )

If the water tank is not kept in the basement of the house, it will be insulated so that it doesn't freeze (kind of like a giant hot water heater blanket).

But congratulations on getting water!

Glacier

Quote Originally Posted by emily_the_spoiled
    I don't know about the Yukon, but I grew up in northern Saskatchewan (which is definitely "up there") and we had well water. Generally you have to dig the pipes into the group so they are laid in the perma-frost and don't have issues with freezing in the winter. (yes when i moved down to DC most people had never heard the word "perma-frost" before )

If the water tank is not kept in the basement of the house, it will be insulated so that it doesn't freeze (kind of like a giant hot water heater blanket).

What part of Saskatchewan? I grew up in the middle of the province!

Our permafrost in some spots starts well within husky digging! We will have to dig the pipes about 7 feet into the ground--all the usual prairie stuff, plus a bit more. We have to box the pipe in and then heat that box. Pipes will also have heat trace tape on them. The spot where the pipes come into the house has to have a insulated box around it as well.

We don't have a basement--they are rare up here. I'd love to have one again! We have a four foot crawl space under the house. The current water holding tank is buried in there so it's all ready set for winter weather.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Wow! So, let me see.....226' of heat trace tape, boring a hole big enough to put a box around it, making a 226' box, paying for heat for it.....and everything else I'm missing....on top of the cost of drilling the well.....no wonder you've been without water! I can see how this would not be something any ol' person could afford!

And of course...this is all something we down here in the lower 48 take so much for granted. I LOVE the way PT really expands all our horizons. Thanks for sharing this major accomplishment with us!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    Wow! So, let me see.....226' of heat trace tape, boring a hole big enough to put a box around it, making a 226' box, paying for heat for it.....and everything else I'm missing....on top of the cost of drilling the well.....no wonder you've been without water! I can see how this would not be something any ol' person could afford!

And of course...this is all something we down here in the lower 48 take so much for granted. I LOVE the way PT really expands all our horizons. Thanks for sharing this major accomplishment with us!
    The well hole itself should be fine. It's already encased in steel. We have to get a special pump, but that is mostly because of the depth. We just have do the rest of it for the pipes from the well to the house, about 100 feet. It's taken us over 6 years to get ready financially to do this!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Excellent news!! Enjoy your water!
    Lola, the mutt, 2 years old

Anita, the dachshund, 7 years old

What part of Saskatchewan? I grew up in the middle of the province!

I grew up just outside of Prince Albert (PA), but I have since moved on to warmer climates

whahoooooo

Congrats. Most of us take things like this, for granted!

Glad you didn't waste your hard earned money!

Quote Originally Posted by emily_the_spoiled
    I grew up just outside of Prince Albert (PA), but I have since moved on to warmer climates
    I grew up near Lloydminster. I have moved a few dozen times, but never anywhere much warmer!
    --John Irving

I moved alround Saskatchewan and Alberta, before deciding none of those places were particularly warm. Now I am just across the Mason-Dixon line and only get snow once or twice a year (and nothing like what I was used to before )

You are definitely moving in the wrong direction if you want warmer

Wow, you finally hit WATER!!!! Phew, that's a deep well!
    Glad Earle approves of it. He's such a handsome boy!