Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are annual shots overkill!!!

Are annual shots overkill!!!

I thought this was really interesting, and wanted to get some feed back on it.

http://www.vas-awareness.org/WSJAreA...tsOverkill.pdf

Vaccines are harmful even if given once. Two of my dogs have suffered from them.

I am working on an "article" on this, and it will be posted here. Not sure when, but should be within the next few weeks. It's just going to share my dogs' stories and the treatment they're recieving and some info on over-vaccination.

Here are some more links:
    - Is Your Pet Dying from Over-Vaccination Due to Vet Economics? (scroll down some for the article)
    - Vaccines - Are They Safe for Your Dog?
    - Vaccinations for Dogs and Cats: Too Many, Too Often?
    - Canine Vaccination Concerns
    - Immunisation
    - Take the Titer Test
    - Vaccinations for the New Puppy
    - Rabies Scam
    - Think About This
    - Vaccine Reactions
    - What About Vaccines?

Well ALL vaccines have the potential to be "harmful". Human vaccines, pet vaccines, all vaccines are is they are injecting a weakened strain of whatever virus into your system so your body can build up antibodies against the virus or whatever so if you DO come in contact with it again you will have a strenghtened immunity against it. BUT sometimes it backfires, and eventhough its a weakened strain, you can become infected by it and get sick. So that is always a risk you take, whether it be you, your children, or your pets.

facebook

My dog almost died from parvo all because the vaccine weakened her immune system and left her vulnerable to the parvo in the environment (the very thing the vet said it would prevent).

I do parvo and distemper seperatly and that's it. One shot for each, nothing more. Visa is titred if she needs proof of vaccination for anything, and the vet has someone that forages rabies vaccine certifications if we ever need to cross the border.
    I've been BOO'd!

Jordan, I am curious why you even vaccinate at all, especially since Visa almost died from it. Do you do it at 16 weeks when the natural immunity wears off?

My dogs are never getting vaccinated again, and no future dogs or puppies will be vaccinated.

Also, you must have a cool vet! I wish I could find one that didn't want to shoot my dog up any chance they got.

So you think rabies shots are unnecessary? I got Charlie 3 year shots and Jamie one year.. but that's pretty much the only vaccinations they've had or that I do routinely.

Sarah, what do you do when you have to bring them somewhere and you have to show proof of vaccinations?? Like, for example, grooming or dog events, etc.

facebook

Rabies shots are very, very unneccessary except to abide by the law, which I have found a way to get around. Luka is suffering from one she got in March and there is no cure.

Also, three year and one year are the same. They are the same shot marketed with a different label to abide by state laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    Sarah, what do you do when you have to bring them somewhere and you have to show proof of vaccinations?? Like, for example, grooming or dog events, etc.
    I have titers done to proove immunity so that we can attend obedience classes. For Rabies - I have a way to get around it that I don't want to say publicly, but could PM to you if you're curious.

Quote Originally Posted by .sarah
    Rabies shots are very, very unneccessary except to abide by the law, which I have found a way to get around. Luka is suffering from one she got in March and there is no cure.

Also, three year and one year are the same. They are the same shot marketed with a different label to abide by state laws.

I have titres done to proove immunity so that we can attend obedience classes. For Rabies - I have a way to get around it that I don't want to say publicly, but could PM to you if you're curious.
    Hm, I have never heard of a titre before. Yeah, please pm me, I would love to discuss this and learn more!

facebook

I don't do the parvo and distemper when the dogs are adults. Only once when they are puppies (at 15 weeks if I am able to -- Visa's breeder and my friend I am getting a sheltie pup from both do their shots while the puppies are still very young so they can get them done before they go to their new homes, but I am going to talk to them and tell them that I want to do it myself at 15 weeks), and no more for the rest of their lives. Parvo and distemper are very very rare around here, the only times they ever happen are from vaccine reactions, but I feel that since the dogs will be going to shows and trials for their entire lives, and coming to work with me all the time, one shot for each disease won't hurt, as long as it's only done once and never again. After that I do titres and nothing else.

Yeah, my vet is awesome. She is both holistic and conventional but likes things done the holistic way if possilbe. She uses her judgement well though. When Visa and her littermates got parvo, there was no way she would treat them holistically. She absolutely refused. I trust her and her judgement. This is her site.
    I've been BOO'd!

This is very, very bad and I probably shouldn't even be saying this but I photoshop old certificates when I need "proof" of vaccination. They do get rabies vaccines though because it's required by law... but since it's every 3 years and the only vaccine they receive, I'm quite fine with it.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

LOL that's awesome.
    I've been BOO'd!

Quote Originally Posted by binka_nugget
    but since it's every 3 years and the only vaccine they receive, I'm quite fine with it.
    Rabies is the worst, it effects the nervous system. It can cause fear, aggression, and anxiety. Because of the shot Luka is afraid of pretty much everything now, even our backyard. I think it caused Mandy's aggression too, since she used to be wonderful with dogs, but we can't remember enough to make a proper diagnosis.

am a little lost and worried now.

is it bad to get their vaccinations at the vet?

Quote Originally Posted by .sarah
    Rabies is the worst, it effects the nervous system. It can cause fear, aggression, and anxiety. Because of the shot Luka is afraid of pretty much everything now, even our backyard. I think it caused Mandy's aggression too, since she used to be wonderful with dogs, but we can't remember enough to make a proper diagnosis.
    Oh wow.. I don't think I could deal with a more aggressive Kaedyn or fearful Kai. Yikes.. maybe I'll look into doing what Jordan does.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I do think that rabies shots ARE neccessary. I know my aunt's jrt/chihuahua mix threw up after getting her first shots, but that's normal right? I also think it keeps their immune system healthy by being vaccined. jmho!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..