Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good deed and tragedy all rolled into one.

A good deed and tragedy all rolled into one.

While out driving today, in the pouring rain, we spotted a mama duck trying to lead her babies across a small, but busy, road. One baby had already been flattened. and one baby lay hurt and kicking in the street. But mama duck wouldn't leave the one that was obviously still alive, and with traffic coming...............We simply stopped the car in the middle of the road.........I got out in the rain to place the hurt baby off to the side of the road............and herd mom and her 4 remaining babies off the road and into the grass.

The hurt baby won't live, but at least now mama and her other 4 should be safe for a while.

All 4 babies and Momma would have been killed if you did nothing.

Thank You Jen!
    The complete Knit-wit and occasional domestic diva.

Going to a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

congrats!!
    A man stopped his car in the middle of the busy road last week. from the bus all I could see was a man walking away from his car & had is arms in the air. I thought, GREAT just what we all needed, was some angry dude in the street.. When we got closser he was trying to chase a goose off the street

Thanks for caring enough to stop and help - you are an angel!!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

You did the right thing Thanks for being so caring...
    Lola, the mutt, 2 years old

Anita, the dachshund, 7 years old

Aw, that was so sweet of you. To bad the about the two other duckies.

Yes... you most certainly saved those who might have otherwise been injured or killed. Good job!!!

thats too bad for the hurt guy, but at least u helped save the rest of the family.
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

Good job indeed in helping the others to cross. RIP little duckies.

I always try my hardest to help a gopher tortoise off the road when I see one.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

That is wonderful that you stopped and helped. Poor little duckie babies... and poor mam didn't know what to do.

Last spring, I was turning onto a very busy street in the downtown area and what did I see? Mama duck walking her brood across the street! I stopped my car and parked it cross ways on the street so that no cars could get through and so mama and her babies could get across the street safely! Horns were honking... but I didn't care. Their safety was my main concern. They crossed safely and I moved on to my destination. Some knew what I had done, others probably just thought I was some lunatic!

Aw, Jen, so sorry you had to witness this, but I'm glad you did so you were able to help the rest of the family. I just HATE people sometimes! The moron who ran over the one baby could very easily have stopped waited until momma and babies were all safely across, but I guess he was just too much of a moron and in too much of a hurry in his pathetic little life to care about a few ducks.

I really hate the way ducks and geese are really integrating themselves into our urban environments.....because of all the moron humans out there. Yesterday I was going through a mall parking lot and here's a momma goose sitting on a nest right in one of the islands in the middle of the parking lot! I wish the mall managers would at least put a fence or something around it so when the babies are born they don't wander into the line some idiot person who is so intent on getting to the latest sale that she can't stop for a few adorable fluffy babies.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

You have a kind and loving heart. I've seen pictures of people in
    newspapers and such of people stopping traffic for some ducks to cross
    a road but I've never come upon this situation myself. Thanks for making
    a big difference.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

God Bless You Jen. What a wonderful thing to do Rest in Peace little ones

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

You did a wonderful thing. Last week in NY Traffic was stopped for some ducks to cross the road to get to a lake. So sad about the other duckies. Prayers for those babies.
    RIo&Nickysmommy

I'm sure mamma duck was happy you came along to help her and her babies!
    I'm sorry one was already gone and the other hurt. That's such a bad feeling, knowing you can't do anything to help.
    Sunday I was driving and saw a squirrel that had just been hit by a car but was still alive. There was no way he was going to make it... so I helped him to the bridge. Then cried the entire way home...
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome