Thread: Measley Weasle has cold?

Measley Weasle has cold?

I am pretty sure Measley Weasle has a cold. She's shaking and has what looks like "snot" coming out of her right nostril. It's clear liquid so far. Has anyone had much success in treating a ferret for a cold?
    I am on my way to the pet store now to get some over the counter cold medicine for ferrets I saw. I was thinking of adding some kind of vitamins to her water as well. I have some "airborne" that I am taking myself that has helped me. Would that be too much for her?
    I've added a washclothe into her cage to help her keep warm. She's laying in her hammock. She's been gone for several days and I won't let her out until I know she's okay.
    I have a cold and think she may have caught it from me! This makes me additionally afraid to handle her right now. I try to wash my hands before and after playing with her. Is there anything else I should do? The vet won't be available for the next few days. So hoping someone else has had experience in this area. She's had colds in the past but in her weakened state, I wanting to make sure there are no other signs to watch out for like pneumonia. Thanks!
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

Do not give her human meds until you have checked with a vet or an experienced person who has used the same meds. Many human over the counter meds are poison to animals.

Good food, warmth, plenty of fluids and quiet are things all sick creatures require. Call a vet clinic if your vet is available. Often they will give some advice.

Got her medicine

I got lucky and found the LAST bottle of Ferret RX in the store. Luckily, I found that store because the other ones didn't carry such items. It isn't easy to give. My first time with it. Found out you have to "heat" the medicine up slightly in hot water first and then apply under their nostrils!
    Okay, I didn't realize how small a ferret's nostrils were until now! The bottle opening is too large to appropriately apply. May have to either put it in the cap and dip her nose in or keep trying to drop it on her nose. I spilled some of it so the whole room now smells like the medicine. Which may be a good thing. It kind of works like Vick's vapor in a humidifier. It even says that you can use in it in a humidifier if needed. It smells like ucyleptis.
    She seems to be feeling better too. Her nose doesn't seem so runny anymore. Her eyes seem clearer. I am hoping her shaking will go away too soon. I had the cold chills with my cold so I suspect that is what is going on with her too.
    Thanks for the help. Hope she does better soon.
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".