Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teeth! $$$$$$$!!!!

Teeth! $$$$$$$!!!!

Hi - my boys have tartar on their teeth. Is there a 'toothpaste' anyone has used to remove this, or a gel? I just balk at spending all that money, though of course I will for their health.

Input welcomed!

Catty1
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Hmm Charlie's are getting pretty bad, too, Jamie's are ok but I don't want to have them get too bad! So I'm wondering the same question!

As far as dental care goes, which products do you find best?? I know there is a liquid plaque/tartar fighting stuff you can put in their water.. is it worth it?

facebook

Jessica - for dogs you can give them a raw bone and let them have at it! It is a great teeth cleaning tool!

For cats, raw bones would work as well but cats tend to be finicky if it's not something they're used to. Brushing their teeth doesn't really work if the tartar is already there, it's really supposed to be a prevention thing. If it's really bad you probably will have to get them cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by .sarah
    Jessica - for dogs you can give them a raw bone and let them have at it! It is a great teeth cleaning tool!

For cats, raw bones would work as well but cats tend to be finicky if it's not something they're used to. Brushing their teeth doesn't really work if the tartar is already there, it's really supposed to be a prevention thing. If it's really bad you probably will have to get them cleaned.
    Yeah I try getting a knucklebone every time we go to the supermarket but it depends which one we go to. One store has them, one doesn't. But the store that does has them REALLY cheap. They are called "stew bones" or something though, and are less than two bucks!

facebook

Jessica - do you use the knuckelbones for your cats? (Not quite sure what a knucklebone is LOL)

Catty1

You know, I've never even thought to try! I'm sure if I did, Double-Oh would LOVE it, but the dogs would try stealing it.. The last time I got them one I put them on the back porch (for obvious reasons) and the bone DISAPPEARED. It did not fall off the deck, it just vanished! And there was no way they could have eaten it, either. I don't know, its a mystery to me!

But you can check with your local grocery store in the meat department, ask a butcher about knuckle bones or "stew bones". You DO NOT want them cooked! If they are cooked, or smoked, they can splinter and cause lots of problems!

facebook

Try Greenies dental treats: free samples at smarttreater.com

Brush my cat's teeth??? Are you nuts???? I have a hard enough time just getting the boogers outta their eyes.

Mollie Rose (12 year old Tortie) is in desperate need of a cleaning. Unfortunately, the vet that told me so (and charged me a freaking arm and leg to do nothing) charges way too much money (I will NEVER go back to him again). One of these days I'll do it but right now it's not financially possible and she's not having any problems eating.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I'll try the little bones and let you know how they work. Also, the aloe gel I keep yakking about does wonders on my teeth...so will get a child's toothbrush(soft) and another pair of arms and see if it will loosen some of it.

A friend of mine had a vet in BC who could just flick the tartar off with his thumbnail, and showed her how to do it. However, our nails are not like his.

Might try the Greenie treats too! Thanks for the hint!

hugs
    Catty1

Just be careful with the Greenies. They can stain your carpeting.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Raw chicken wings to chew on are supposed to prevent tartar in cats. However as most cats are used to cooked (canned or pouch) food or dry food there is that look they give you that goes something like...and whaddamisposedtado with THIS may I ask?
    Then it gets dragged all round the carpet leaving greasy smells
    There are also some things that look like little sushi rolls, come in a foil pouch and are expensive and don't know what they contain but mine found them rather exciting and palatable, but I don't give them now. They just have dental cleaning every 2-3 years and I just grit MY teeth and pay it (and postpone my own dentistry ) I have read on CRF sites that not getting rid of the tartar can help lead to kidney failure and other diseases from the toxins that are released by the gums when there is gingivitis setting in from the tartar. Whiskas also make some little biscuit things that come in a drum called Dentabits, my girls didn't like them much and they are full of additives etc so I didn't encourage them.
    Over here you can get little rubber things with soft spikes on to fit on the end of your finger. Then you can spend quality bonding time with your furbaby while they are on your lap, by trying to get their head to stop swinging from side to side and the teeth puncturing the rubber thing and your finger, saliva all over your sleeves...
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)

Dental wipes!

There are another option called "Dental Wipes" . They are disposable clothes soaked in toothpaste/cleaner. They come in a plastic container and come out like kleenex. One wipe is way more than enough to do.
    The best way to do this is to have the animal on your lap or next to you. Have the head AWAY from your body!!! Do NOT have them facing you when doing this. It may not work and you could get bitten! You place the wrap around your finger like your cleaning a spot out. Then gently place it in their mouths gently rubbing the gums. You may want to just rub the gums for the first few tries if too much of a struggle. You can then move to the teeth with small circular motions. With cats, they tend to think your "nursing" them if you rub near their mouths. So it may be easier to just learn to rub them gently by their mouths a few times to get things "started".
    I've used this method and thought the instructions on the box was crazy . I was like NO WAY!!! However, after cleaning the teeth of an old dog not familiar with me and never had dental care before, the method did work! It's kind of "gross" until you get used to it. Expect the results to take some time and the tarter not to come off immediately. Just work on the plaque buildup first.
    I've tried the "toothbrush" and the "Finger brush" method all with limited success. One dog responds well with the toothbrush but the other doesn't. The cat forget about it! I use the wipes on her when she's "tolerable". I don't feed her any treats and only give her hard food so her teeth stay pretty healthy. Softer foods tend to cause more buildup and decay.
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

'Logic oral gel' (toothpaste) for cats and dogs.. it works wonders, you just put it on their paw.. and they lick it off..
    also there is 'maxi guard' for cats and dogs.. just apply a few drops either side of the mouth, and they love it!
    try also royal canin dental or hills t/d... they both work a treat to clean the teeth and prevent build up!

After shelling out 100$ for a cleaning, I'd have no problem just holding him/her down and force brushing the teeth every once in awhile. They make a special paste for it.

I give my cat a raw chicken wing every week or so for her teeth. She loves them, they work like a charm, and I don't have to bother with brushing. At $1.25 for a 4-pack, they cost less than a toothbrush and toothpaste and are more effective.