Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what breeds are suited for the heat? for instance, if you lived in tucson, arizona

what breeds are suited for the heat? for instance, if you lived in tucson, arizona

what breeds are suited for the heat? for instance, if you lived in tucson, arizona

All dogs can live in hot places as long as they're properly cared for and only in the heat when necessary. No dog of any kind should be left outside in any conditions, especially extreme heat.

So if you are asking which kinds of dogs make good house dogs in arizona the answer is- any dog.

If you're asking which kinds of dogs do well left outside in your yard in the heat the answer is- NONE!
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Well if your thinking about keeping them outside in your weather, during the day, no breed. It just depends on the situation, what sizes and etc. you want.www.petfinder.com is a perfect place to start your dog serch.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Quote Originally Posted by KBlaix
    All dogs can live in hot places as long as they're properly cared for and only in the heat when necessary. No dog of any kind should be left outside in any conditions, especially extreme heat.

So if you are asking which kinds of dogs make good house dogs in arizona the answer is- all dogs.

If you're asking which kinds of dogs do well left outside in your yard in the heat the answer is- NONE!
    agreed!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

So if you are asking which kinds of dogs make good house dogs in arizona the answer is- any dog.

Very well explained

I have a good story....not the outcome but WHY YOU SHOULD BE CAREFULL!!! A friend of mine had a German Shorthair Pointer we all know how short a coat they have,She was moving to a home in the country left the dog there with water 2 buckets it was a hot summer day it took us 1 hour to get the second load get back go out back Daimen was laying there lifeless took him to the vet he died of a heat stroke i dont think matters what breed they are they all can die from heat stroke !

As said earlier, any breed depending on where thye live. Do you want your dog to do any kind of work in the heat? Is he going to live outside? I wouldn't really recommend huskies and other Cold Weather working dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Jordan
    I have a good story....not the outcome but WHY YOU SHOULD BE CAREFULL!!! A friend of mine had a German Shorthair Pointer we all know how short a coat they have,She was moving to a home in the country left the dog there with water 2 buckets it was a hot summer day it took us 1 hour to get the second load get back go out back Daimen was laying there lifeless took him to the vet he died of a heat stroke i dont think matters what breed they are they all can die from heat stroke !
    that's terrible!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I've lived in Tucson for almost 7 years now and I've seen almost every kind of dog here. Summer months can be rough, dogs should be kept indoors and it's best to take walks early in the morning and at around dusk when the weather is much cooler. The nice thing about Tucson is that if you are looking to go hiking or camping with your dog it's just a short drive up the mountain to get to cooler weather which will be more comfortable for both you and your dog.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Jordan
    That is horrible...

Most dogs can live in heat as long as they get proper care. Although I woulden't reccomend a Husky or Malamute. My brother has a Boxer and he lives in Tempe, AZ. Soul does really well in the heat. Although you should NOT have an outside dog in that kind of heat.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I have two Boxers and they do well in the heat but I would never leave them alone in extreme heat, esspecialy in summer. I always keep a close eye on my dogs... hot days or not. And provide PLENTY of water. Chinese Cresteds get sunburnt easy, so definetly not a Chinese Crested. Fluffy or long haired dogs, such as Malamutes, Huskies, various retrievers, Pomeranians, and others. Bald breeds such as some Poodles and Chinese Cresteds are not good for heat. But otherwise, any dog would do good in heat as long as you keep a close on on them

I concur.

Chihuahuas tolerate heat rather well, I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by dab_20
    Most dogs can live in heat as long as they get proper care. Although I woulden't reccomend a Husky or Malamute.
    Well...not exactly. I agree, it's not the breed I'd recommend for a hot climate, but Sherman's breeder bred huskies in Austrailia for a decade, and we have our own HuskyMom here on PT, with huskies in Mexico! As long as you are sensible about their care, I suppose you could own any kind of dog. Like others have said, no dog should be left in extreme heat. Let us know what you get!

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    Well...not exactly. I agree, it's not the breed I'd recommend for a hot climate, but Sherman's breeder bred huskies in Austrailia for a decade, and we have our own HuskyMom here on PT, with huskies in Mexico! As long as you are sensible about their care, I suppose you could own any kind of dog. Like others have said, no dog should be left in extreme heat. Let us know what you get!
    Yeah, I agree they would be able to live in heat. I kind of worded it wrong.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*