Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aggressive Cat

Lizzie, Thanks for your reply. I thought the same thing as you regarding introducing a kitten into the house. I'm not convinced it would work and right now have no intention of doing so. We'll wait and see how everything goes with Cobber for a while. BTW, the picture of your kitty looks like Cobber. I'd like to add a picture of him, but I can't because the picture file size is too big.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthCobber
    You may want to consider taking Shadow to the vet. I'm glad I did. Also, I bought a plug in diffuser for the Feliway. It lasts 4 weeks and there are refills for it. My cost was $50, but the refills should be about half of that. I may look online to see if I can find it cheaper if this is something I decide to use throughout the year.
    Actually, Shadow has settled back down. I think it was just such a blatant attack on his territory by that stray that he freaked out. He's now letting the others near him and cuddling with them. I couldn't be more relieved. He's normally such a good cat that seeing him like that worried me. He won't be venturing outside for awhile though, not after this.

I finally remembered where I saw an article about this. It's called re-directed aggression.

See http://www.catsinternational.org/art...to_humans.html

One of my cats developed this problem when I was feeding a stray. She eventually got over it.

I'm glad your cat is doing better.

Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

It has been nearly four months since I have updated you all regarding my cat Cobber. While we have had some instances of redirected aggression toward me I believe the medication he was on - .25 mg of Alprazolam and .25 mg of paroxetine - were working. Two weeks ago, per my vets instructions, I began to decrease his Alprazolam in half since his anxiety appeared to be minimal. This week Cobber has attacked me several times. He has become increasingly scared of me and visibly trembles during these episodes. I have been able to put him in our laundry room when this occurs, but when I let him out after 6 to 8 hours he turns on me again. I am always very loving toward him. He's my best friend. Yesterday he had me cornered for six hours. I didn't move a muscle until he finally directed his attention toward something else. Again, I put him in the laundry room, but this time I got him in his carrier hoping my vet would see him. No luck. The vet called and recommended I a) increase his Alprozolam to .50 mg daily b) seek an Animal Behaviourist or c) put him down. The cats aggression is causing great strife in my marriage as my wife does not like him now and is afraid of him - as am I. The vet recommended keeping him in the laundry room over the long weekend. Normally Cobber claws and meows at the door to get out. Today he is completely quiet and still quite scared as he hissed at me while I tried to send his medicine through a crack in the door. I'm at a loss here. I don't know what to do. I don't want to put him down. I fear he is growing more angry with me since I am the one continuously putting him in the laundry room. I have left a message for another vet to call me today, but I'm not sure if they will or if they will tell me anything I don't already know. This is breaking my heart and I am under tremendous stress. If anyone cares to reply I would appreciate it. thanks,
    Scott

Scott - it's weird that he was getting so much better - and maybe he associates you with medication time. This is horrible if he IS, because you have done all you can to get him better - and it did work for a while.

I think a second opinion is a good idea. Also, someone on Pet Talk has mentioned a psychic who is inexpensive and has worked wonders for people here.

She apparently charges about $30 and can be paid after - it's the animals she wants to help.

I don't think you have anything to lose. I'll PM the person who has the info (moosmom?)

HUGS - don't give up yet!

Catty1
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

At this point, the psychic may be your best bet. Her name is Nancy Efrusy. She helped me with a feral/formerly feral cat. E-mail her at [email protected]. Send a picture of your cat and she will contact you.

how are things going with the cat now? there is a feliway plug in diffusser too, and I use it from time to time, when one of my cats are stressed about something or a couple of them are not getting along temporarily.

I have never heard of a cat acting like this before, cornered you for 6 hours? yikes! I would definately consult a vet to see if there is a mental or physical problem and then consult a cat behavorist. does you cat drink water...he's not avoiding water is he? is the cat aggressive all the time or just at certain times?