Thread: Cookie's behaving weird...

Cookie's behaving weird...

Cookie ( my golden retriever) refuses to come when we call her name now! She always came whenever we called until now. I took her to the vet but he said she's fine, no knock to the head or anything. She looks like she doesn't want to come, but my friends think that's silly. I really need help, guys. If she won't come when she's called I can't have her off the leash much any more since I can't call her back!!
    I think I own my dog, but it owns my heart and home

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    First I was so surprised to read that there's another Golden Retriever Cookie!!! That's the name of my Golden baby too.

I experience, that Cookie likes to challange me when it comes to the 'come' command. She knows it very well and comes most of the time. But now that she's starting to really grow up, she likes to see how far she can push it.
    What we learn in the obedience classes, is to turn around and walk/run away when the dog isn't coming. The dog normally won't stay if you go away.
    I always give plenty of attention to Cookie when she comes, giving a little snack and a cuddle.

There has a topic about how to get your dog to come to you when you call her: just wondering

I have the same problem with my Chihuahua so I have to keep her leashed at all times, even in the house since she likes to grab the tootsies out of the cat box and run. I've been trying to train her to come when called but she's being really stubborn. She'll have to learn eventually or else she better get used to living on a leash the rest of her life. She's just a puppy so hopefully she'll learn. I just couldn't take the chance of her running off when we're outside, this could be so dangerous for her.