Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At what age should I switch from Puppy food to Adult?

I think one year. That is about when we switched snuggles. She is a shih tzu though

I kept Choco, my chocolate chihuahua, on Eukanuba puppy food for about 6 to 7 months. What I did was slowly wean him off his puppy food by mixing a little of both foods until his puppy food was gone. His veterinarian suggested I do this so as not to disrupt his digestive system. Choco is now 11 yrs old and is now on Science Diet senior little bites. I couldn't find Eukanuba anymore and since Science Diet is also a chicken based food, I chose it as a replacement.

Looks like you have a lab...Labs start major growing spurts at 6mo I would switch to a large breed quality dog food. I use Nutro Natural chicken.
    What happens is labs have a tenacy to grow too fast on puppy food and have joint and ligament problems. I would also keep his exercise minimal or at least no more than usual. Try swimming as its low impact and really builds some nice muscles on the front and back end. Swimming makes for a strong lab with endurance.

Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin.

My Photos

I agree with Kblaiz, when feeding a food formulated for a large breed puppy it will have lower amounts of protein and fat as well as a lower calcium and phosphorus ratio but still have the calories to meet the needs of a growing puppy. If feeding a formula for breed size they usally recommend one year of puppy food unless they are giant breeds then two years.