Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A puppy may be coming home?

A puppy may be coming home?

I called several owners of Dixie's puppies yesterday to wish the pups a Happy Birthday and find out how they were doing. (ok, I know I'm a little obsessed!) All of them were doing great, adapting well, and fitting into their new homes wonderfully, except for one.

I was told he is very aggressive and has bitten her one son just a couple weeks ago. He was feeding him a Frosty Paw and he moved the cup slightly while the pup was eating and the dog bit him! It was not a actual bite but a graze that had blood surface. I was and am in shock! This is a GOLDEN RETRIEVER we are talking about. Has anyone ever seen an aggressive GOLDEN????

I thought things were wonderful because they have never contacted me for help and I extended the offer to have any of the owners call me anytime if they needed help.

Well now, she wants me to work with the dog and get him trained or take him back. I have agreed to come to her house and see the dog and how he interacts with her kids. However, I really think I will make an offer to get the dog back, train him, and find him a new loving home.

If the dog is aggressive it is because of his environment and lack of something! He came over to Dixie's birthday party in January and he was very skinny, so I am thinking he is not getting enough to eat. I was told by several people then not to worry because he was still just 7 months old and perhaps was growing slower. Dusty weighed 61 pounds then and he was only 44! He was the second biggest male when he left my house at 8 weeks!!!!

I am very mad and upset about this! Just wondering what you guys would do. Try to work with her and the family to make progress in his current environment or offer to take the dog back, train him, and find him a new home?

And to make matters worse, she just had a baby a week ago so I am wondering if she will even have the time to spend working on this problem? Her other two kids are 11 and 13, both boys.

My first thought was for you to get him out of there! Then I started thinking about the older kids..... I know how Helen would feel if ours went away. But if he isn't getting proper care or attention, then I selfishly would like to see him come out of that environment.

Maybe when you go over there, you'll be able to tell for yourself what the environment is like, what he's being fed, how much, etc. If he's hungry, you bet he'll want to snap! And unfortunately, some Goldens do anyway. I felt a little gratified that he was being given Frosty Paws, which is a big splurge around here.

I guess if she's turning him over to you for training, you are within your rights to take him back. Keep us posted on what you decide. I will keep the little guy in my prayers too. I'm just glad you're there to intervene.

Logan

You are so responsible and caring! Wish everyone whe bred dogs was like you!

Maybe these people don't understand how to raise or deal with dogs and helping them with training would be enough. With a new baby and the way things are going so far it might be too much for them.

I would make the offer of taking the dog back. If the woman really believes the dog is aggressive I doubt she'll want to keep him with a new baby around.

And don't be mad, be glad you checked on the guy .

Candy,

After reading your post , I think you should go with your
    instincts on this. You know this pup's potential better than
    anyone else. I don't think he should stay with these people.
    Not because they are 'bad' people, but because it does not
    seem from your post that things are working out to well for
    the family or the pup. If there is a new baby coming, the dog
    just might get more overlooked in the shuffle. I'd take him
    back where you can work with him.( Think I'd try to place
    him somewhere else). Just my 2 cents worth. Please just
    trust your 'gut' feelings on this. Liz & Buddy.

I would work with the dog in the family environment only if the dog is properly treated and fed and loved by the whole family. I agree with Logan you should also see how the older kids feel but at the same time you don't want something like this (or God forbid worse) happens.

If you have any doubts on this and you feel that the family does not interact in the appropriate way with the dog, just take him back, before they get rid of him some other way.

Whatever you do you know that we are all behind you. Please keep us posted.

Candy:
    I also think that, after you see the pup in his home, you may want to take him with you if you believe that he's not getting enough food or attention.
    Not everybody has a sweet daugther like Logan's Helen. Two boys of that age may be too involved with sports or other school activities and not willing to spend enough time with the dog. Nothing can make a Golden more neurotic than the lack of human companionship On the other hand, from everything I've learned volunteering for YGRR, they are so incredibly responsive to a change of environment and a loving home.
    I'm sure you'll do what is best for the puppy. Good luck and keep us informed.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

I'm going to stick my neck out here but I wonder if one of the kids tease the puppy when it's trying to eat. I had a step-sister who when my parent's dog was trying to eat, would take her food away from her. Even though my parents would get after my step-sister, she kept it up. Finally, the dog got so no one could get near her when she was eating. She was the sweetest tempered dog you could imagine usually. It started with behavior like you described with the pup, a little nip because she thought the food was being taken away.

Maybe this is the pup for Aunt Jazz' parents? Just a thought.

Hi Candy..
    What a shame.. It really makes me sick to hear about animals not being treated right. I found myself wandering into our SPCA yesterday, They have so many dogs and cats there it is sick...
    Anyways, I think you need to follow your heart. (That is something the breeder told me to do about my so called friend re Presley) You and only you know what is best for that pup. If taking him back is what you have your heart set on then you do that. Personally it is a bit shocking to hear that he has bitten her son. Maybe he did so with good reason? The thing with the frosty paw could be because they just didn't let the dog know it was ok to take food away and so on... Presley could be eating the most wonderful thing and i can come along and take it from her and she wont do a thing... I want her to be like that.. She can't think she rules over me and attack me because i did something she didn't like. Maybe these people do need some help.. But please Candy do go with what your heart says. If things don't look good around there then take him home to a loving family who will help him and Feed him and Train him.
    44 pounds..WoW... Well we both know what Presley weights
    I think she was 44 pounds around 4 months.. more -->
    Oh well all i can really say is my girl is happy and healthy and that is what is important to me
    I will always do as my heart says for now on.. My heart told me long ago not to leave her with some people and i did for my own selfish reasons...
    Anyways, Take care and goodluck with that puppy... If things look ok try and talk to them about the food too.... If they are not accepting of the talk then i think you know what is best for him.

take care
    Melissa & Presley

Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
    Maybe this is the pup for Aunt Jazz' parents? Just a thought.
    That thought had crossed my mind as well! They are looking for a female but perhaps because it is Aunt Jazz's great nephew!

Kathi and Bob are out of town at a SAR convention but I will talk to them about it when they come back.

Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer

That thought had crossed my mind as well! They are looking for a female but perhaps because it is Aunt Jazz's great nephew!

Kathi and Bob are out of town at a SAR convention but I will talk to them about it when they come back.
    Would it be best to have the dog first, just in case? I'd hate for them to get their hopes up and then the family not give the pup up. They've been through so much all ready.

Frankly, if it was me, I'd go get the pup. With a new baby soon in the house, one nip could be big trouble for everyone. Seems like the owners have all ready decided he is aggressive. Youngsters tend to scatter and wave food around. Of course, it would be a while before the baby would be old enough to do that. I'm behind you, whatever you decide.

Candy....I say, go get the dog and if they give you crap about it, offer to refund the price of the pup. It doesn't sound like he is being taken care of very well and perhaps the bite was because he was hungry! As popular as Goldens are you shouldn't have a problem rehoming him.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

This is a GOLDEN RETRIEVER we are talking about. Has anyone ever seen an aggressive GOLDEN????

when i read that i immeadiatly had to reply, didn't read no longer.

ANY dog can be aggressive ANY dog can bite. This dog seems to be food aggressive and there are class for it and stuff..... i basicly wanted to say ANY dog can be aggressive... it could be how they are treated or just in their genes and stuff.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

One thing that we probably know 100% is that this isn't genetic, since Dixie hasn't experienced this problem with any of her other puppies. I truly believe that this is a result of something that happened in that household, and it is Food related!

KayAnn, you are right about the fact that any dog has it in them to be aggressive, but you should read Dixie's whole post, and what she knows about the whole situation. She's very concerned, and she obviously hasn't ever seen an aggressive Golden, at least not in her pack!

Re: A puppy may be coming home?

Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
    However, I really think I will make an offer to get the dog back, train him, and find him a new loving home.
    I think you already have the answer.
    Last edited by RachelJ; 05-03-2002 at 07:54 PM.

Did the mom witness the bite or is she going by what her son said? The reason I ask is because the dog may have just been going for the food and accidently got the boy. I know my lab was the most gentle thing in the world but when food was around, she was a real chow hound and would go for it without thinking. She accidently got my fingers a couple times, but it was nothing aggressive.

Do you have contracts you have people sign when they buy a puppy? If not, it might be something to consider. That way you could have a clause saying you had the right to take the puppy back if you felt the home was not working out.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya