Thread: Have you ever had/met a dog that had a special effect on you?

Have you ever had/met a dog that had a special effect on you?

I thought it would be cool to see. Like has a dog ever had an effect on you? Like when you met s/he you'll always remember that moment. Or maybe he taught you a life lesson or something.

Sassy-I can't even begin to describe how much Sassy had taught me.

I can't really think of any right now .But how about you?

Layla has inspired a lifelong journey to own, breed, and handle better dalmatians in temperament, health, work ability, and conformation

Niño & Eliza

I'd have to say my Jimmy. Humans abused him for his whole life. When I got him he needed a lot of medical attention for various problems. Jim had death chasing him down at every corner. He was being badly abused by people in Tennessee, he was chasing cars on a 55 mph street there, he had heartworm (and intestinal worms), my friend's grandfather passed away (Jimmy's only food source and only person that took any kind of care of him in Tennessee), and he had bladder stones that would stop his urine completely if left untreated and kill him.

My point is he had a terrible life until August 29th 2005 and he is the happiest, friendliest, most well behaved little guy. It's inspiring that he could be through so much and still have trust and love for humans in his heart. I admire him for that. I don't think I would if I had been through that much. He deserves being spoiled and trust me I’ve been spoiling him since August!
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

a foster pit bull named Essy, most of you should remember her, she came to us extremely emaciated and frightened but still loved all humans. It definitely hurt me to see her, scared/abused/neglected and still able to forgive. She truly taught me some powerful things. Thankfully she lives on a farm in Ohio with WONDERFUL owners that mail us pics and call about updates on her. She was a blessing and deserves the wonderful life she has now.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

My neighbor's little Chihuahua mix, one I used to walk. He came all the way to my house and was waiting for me on the porch. Man do I love that dog...

I'd also like to post about RB Angie. She passed away in June of 2003, but she will be in my heart forever. I still pray to her and talk to her grave. She was special for so many reasons and her death still hurts me. Angie is and will be the dog that I talk about now and when I get older. I love all my dogs equally, but they impact me in different ways. On June 10, 2003 I felt like I lost my sister.

Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

All these stories made me smile .Those are great stories and I loved hearing them! I am so happy these dogs got good homes. Especially, Jimmy. He doesn't have to worry anymore. I'm looking forward to see those dalmations Suki_Wingy!

I thought of a dog now! FINALLY!
    This girl I used to play outside with all the time had a German shepherd. Boy was she amazing.

Penny is her name. She was a year old when she was sold to a man who was a drug addict and a true hick! He gave her table scraps when he felt like it and she was left in a small crate in the yard everyday of her life. The man decided to sell her for 200 dollars. She certainly wasn't worth that much. She had ticks,fleas,and heart worms. Her ribs where visible. She was basically the most pathetic dog. Her dad(who might I add is a Pastor) saw a sign thatr said 200 dollar dog. So he went to see the dog. At first he wasn't even expecting this. When he drove up to the house he already knew there was something wrong. He bought her anyway. She was later trained as a therapy dog. She is afraid of sticks and long solid objects. We think she was hit with sticks,bats,ect. She does have some injuries. But all in all, she isn't afriad of humans. The people at nursing homes and hospitals always look forward to her visits. She is the happiest dog alive. You would never have thought she was abused. At home, she plays fetch with balls,swims,and just has a good old time despite anything. She has taught me that animals have the power to forgive no matter what. And they WILL use that

Probably my Little Dog. I will always remember the day she became my dog and the day she was saved from ever having to be bred again. She came from a puppy mill who gave her to a breeder who, in turn, gave her to us. She is so sweet and loving. I was the only person she trusted for a long time. I am also the cause of her obsession: jerky treats.

The dog that really influenced me was a GSD named Juice

When I was 4 we lived in a subdivision with lots that had 1+ acre yards each, a lot of our nieghbors had no fences, unfortunately. Juice was almost like my dog, he spent all day at our house playing with me. I remember a yellow Lab running up to the house, and I was eating a sandwich or something and the Lab was running up to me presumably to steal it, but it really scared me. Juice chased him off and came back and sat next to me. He was an awesome dog! I saw him a few years ago, when I was visiting a friend who lives in the same neighborhood. He was in his own yard (for once) and I got to pet him and say hi to him, he was really old but I think he remembered me. Their was a for sale sign in their yard and they moved away a few weeks later, so I never saw him again . But, Juice really made me love dogs, and learn how to gain the trust of dogs... and I really want to have a GSD someday because of Juice.

And, Gonzo of course has influenced me! When I was 13 and I got him, I was really into myself and my friends and irresponsible. He taught me responsibility and dedication and his loyalty and love got me through very, very hard times. Training him and working with him has taught me so much about dogs, and about Border Collies, and I love BC's because of him.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

All of them in one way or another, but here's a few highlights.

Sleet is my canine soulmate. I knew it the first time I looked at her. She was meant to be here with me. Plus she is one of the finest lead dogs ever born and on at least one occasion can be credited with saving my life.

When I first met Kayleigh, she jumped up on her kennel gate, looked me square in the eyes and I clearly heard her tell me she was coming home with me. She did later that day. If I had thought more clearly about it, she may not have, but it's worked out for both of us. Kayleigh has taught me many things about how to deal with dogs with her issues, how to build a fight and escape proof fence. She has also shown me what a gentle hand and a second (maybe even a third chance) can do. She's taught me patience, forgiveness and how not to hold a grudge!

Paxil was the lead dog in the very first dog team I ever drove. Those first couple hours on a sled changed my life forever.

Hoodoo was our very first rescued dog. The first dog to show us what remarkable, forgiving creatures dog can be. Many more rescues followed in his pawprints and I'm sure more will over the coming years. He had a killer sense of humor, a quick mind and far too short of a life. Even in his death he was teaching us though--that we could survive, that life would go on and that we could love again without taking any love away from him. I miss him everyday.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I am sure there are other dogs who have taught me things but I think each one I have now has touched me in different ways.

Snoopy is so full of joy. Nothing gets him down. Not even his seizures or the bacterial infection which almost killed him. He runs and jumps and is so enthusiastic in everything he does. He is also so full of love. He loves me unconditionally - as each of my dogs do - but somehow his love is different. Nothing I do can make him not want to be with me. I can be angry at him and he just looks at me with those eyes like I'm sorry, mom. I can be sad and crying and he comes up and licks me and makes me laugh cause he is so big and thinks he can be a lap dog. But his love of life and his joyfullness is what really touches me.

Pippi is my protector. He is a 17 lb. Jack Russell mix. But nobody better mess with me. She came from a home where they kept her tied a doghouse. She got very little attention so she was and still is afraid of new people. After a year of that, she came to us and loves us to pieces. It is amazing to me to see what a dog can live through and still be loving and loyal. She is also the pup who does not run when I yell or get upset. (I still have spells where I miss my son so much I just yell and scream.) She comes and sits on my lap and gives me kisses. She is definitely my little angel. Sometimes my crying scares even Snoopy off but not my Pippi!

Jack, our airedale, was in pretty much the same situation. Whoever had him kept him outside all the time - when we got him his ears and eyes were infected, his hair was chewed off where something bothered it, and his teeth were all broken off because they kept him tied up and he tried to chew through the chain. And he needed two bathes to get him clean and smelling better. But the first thing he did when he saw us was go up to Carl and rub his head against him. Talk about love at first sight! He was sooo neglected but he is so loving it is just amazing.

Dazzi and Taggert have also taught me about unconditional love. They all seem to know when I am down or need a little extra love. They are always there for me!

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather