Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me I'm doing the right thing

Tell me I'm doing the right thing

Hi, its me, the blubbering idiot. I promise this is going to be my last heart-broken-over-a-dog post (yeeeaah right ) But its really bad again I've wanted a Yorkie my WHOLE life and we got the cutest one in the shelter (I'm posting his picture at the bottom of this. I was on the other side of a half-door and he was freaking out trying to jump to me). I tried to distance myself from him when I first saw him in Pre-Adopt because I didn't want to fall for him. I'm going to be gone for 6 weeks in the fall and I know my mom wouldn't be very happy if I had to make her babysit an extra dog - especially since he's not housebroken

His name is Rascal and he is everything I've been wanting in a dog. He's got a little attitude but he's also soooooooooo sweet. I had him wrapped in a baby blanket today and just carried him around like a baby and he slept in my arms. I took him to the drive thru at McDonalds and he barked viciously at the intercom when the woman was talking Then I couldn't eat because he kept jumping up and trying to take the french fries out of my mouth! We went to Petsmart and spent WAAAAY too much on presents for the little boogar. He was SO well behaved in the store. He's a wiggly brat when other people try to hold him, but whenever I hold him he just sits and watches the world go by.

I've been sitting here all night with a pit in my stomach. I feel like throwing up. The girl who has her application on him is supposed to get him tomorrow. She has an introduction with her dog at 3:00. She has a rottie. She's a vet tech and VERY sweet. Everyone at work is telling me that I need to just take the dog. He is seriously the dog of my dreams, but he does have a good home lined up if I don't take him. Also since I'll be going to NYC, I'd feel irresponsible getting another pet right now. I just want to do what is best for Rascal, not for me. I really need someone to tell me I did the right thing or this is going to weigh heavy on my heart for so long. I hope she'll let me see him sometimes. Blah I gotta stop now because its making me cry

Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Aww Aly, Rascal has the cutest face! You can definitely tell he has the attitude. Yorkies are fun dogs. I really can't tell you what to do, but I know that he would really have a great home with you! I don't think I could do what you do, I'd want to take home every dog.

AWWWWWWWW Rascal is a cutie pie.......
    Don't worry Aly, you are doing a good thing! At least you know that this sweet pup is getting a good home!! Why don't you just tell his new Momma about pet talk and she can keep you posted with pics and stories???
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Former User Guest
    Aly, this may not help you...but if he is all that you've ever wanted, why not taking him then? I know, I know, easier said than done. But you said you'll be gone for 6 weeks in the fall...it's a long way till fall, I know you can do it and make him not do his business inside the house (sorry, not wake yet, can't find certain words), and I'm sure your mom would fall in love with this little cutie, who woulnd't? She can't say no .
    Okay, of course only you know what's the best thing to do. Whatever you decide, let us know ok?

Aly first of all I can see why you are in love with Rascal because I am too!! Yorkies are another favorite breed of mine! Has he met Lolly, Reece and Shiloh yet? I think you might find your answer there. He sounds like he might be a bit difficult for Shiloh to accept, although you can't know for sure unless you try. Since the girl is coming today I doubt there is much time for you to introduce him to your gang if you haven't already. It sounds like he will be going to a good home so, if you don't get to have him for yourself, just rest in that. Somehow I have a feeling that Rascal will be able to hold his own with a Rottie!!! Those little Yorkies just don't seem to realize they are so small!!

You're doing the right thing Aly, there's another Yorkie out there for ya if you really want one and when it is more convenient for you too

Aly, this is a tough one. Perhaps you can see how it works out with the other person who wants to adopt him. If it doesn't work out than you will have until the Fall to house train him.

I think Sara/Tinky has the right idea, tell the new mama about this site and Rascal can keep in touch with Auntie Aly and all of us. When you get back from NY you may want to spend some time finding a new place where all your furkids can help you decide "who's next" in Alyland Laurie

Don't say it, Rachel, don't say it....Oh, I can't help myself. He'd be small enough to take on the plane with you to New York! Forgive me, I said it.

Originally posted by RachelJ
    Don't say it, Rachel, don't say it....Oh, I can't help myself. He'd be small enough to take on the plane with you to New York! Forgive me, I said it.
    That was my thought too! That's one breed I've always wanted, personally, I'd go for it!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Go for it!

Well, there is no doubt in my mind, if I were you, I would get the pup. I have been around (and house sat) for Yorkies, and they are simply effortless. They seem to be appendages - and just want to be held all the time. I would even hold the dog while I was cooking. My cats couldn't figure out why they weren't best of friends with the dog. Although they got along, the cats were larger than the dog.

So go fulfill your dreams, and get that doggie. You can house train him easily. And even if you don't, they are so small that whatever they do, is small too!!!

Go go go get that dog!

Originally posted by Pam
    Has he met Lolly, Reece and Shiloh yet? I think you might find your answer there.
    Aly and I have chit-chatted briefly about this little guy! Isn't he adorable?

Aly, please think of Miss Shiloh (and I know you are). I don't want to dampen spirits because I know you'd provide a wonderful home for the lil' guy! It's just that, the other day, you mentioned he had the terrier attitude w/ cats.

On the other hand, if Miss Shi is bigger than he is...she could prolly hold her own! lol (Now *THAT* didn't help any did it? )

Aly,
    I haven't known too many Yorkies. My good friend owns one, named Josh, and he is a total lap dog, but so spoiled that he has to be medicated when she leaves him as he gets so anxious. But a very sweet boy.
    The second one I knew was a problem. Let me restate that. The owners were the problem. But she was an escape artist, and was constantly ending up at my house. Very, very active, and drove my cats crazy.
    I think you hit the nail on the head when you talked about the timing. You and I have the same terrible problem, we want them all! And each one steals out heart. I think that if the potential adoptor is as wonderful and qualified as she sounds, she'll be a wonderful mom to Rascal, and you can concentrate on Reece and Lolly, and of course, Shiloh, before you leave them this fall. Just my two cents.....but I can certainly understand why you feel the way you do about him. He is darling!!!
    Logan

I think there is no wrong or bad choice here. This dog is lucky to have 2 good options and you should be very happy about that!!

You are being considerate thinking of your mom when you go away. I'm glad Rachel mentioned it first - the dog would be small enough for a plane! But - do they charge more to bring the dog on and can you afford it? What about when you're in NY - you need to concentrate on the class.

I do believe another Yorkie will come along just as sweet, the fact that you would hesitate at all indicates that now is probably not the best time.

aly, why don't you wait and see if the other potential owner even shows up to take Rascal and then make your decision from there? I am of the belief that animals adapt very well as long as the owner has established him/herself as alpha in the home. I hope all works out for the best...you have definitely had your share of heartache in the recent past (since that's all I know). I'll be thinking about you!! I would definitely say that if the potential owner brings him back that you should snatch him up!! Good luck and keep us posted.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!