Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Zoe peeing on bed again

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    Dogs need consistant training throughout their entire lives. You don't just take them to a class and think that's it. You need to continue reinforcing training and good habits throughout the dog's life. If she is peeing on the bed, watch her closesly, take her outside more frequently, monitor/limit her water intake. Dogs do not just do things to spite anyone. Dogs do things because they are either sick or need more training, or other territorial reasons. So don't think she is doing it JUST to "be bad", because they just.. don't.

So many other people disagree with you on this...

Quote Originally Posted by 4theloveofzoe
    So many other people disagree with you on this...
    So many others don't understand that dogs aren't human and don't have human logic, then.

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by k9krazee
    Only consistant training or closing bedroom door will stop the peeing, but the vinegar and water should help to get the smell out.
    Okay... so what your telling me is...

This is going to be a life long problem?

Why is it that other people have dogs that don't keep peeing all over the place?
    Not to mention... Nipping at one of my daughters.

So many others don't understand that dogs aren't human and don't have human logic, then.
    So.. why is she peeing on beds then? What's the logic in that?

There are other places she can pee....

Look... I didn't come here to start an argument or trouble... I am SOOOOOO
    frustrated by this.

Try having five children, (will 4 now , my oldest moved out today), and see how having a dog peeing all over your apartment will affect you.

Hav eyou properly cleaned the area thoroughly? Do you give her ANY attention for peeing on the bed? Even if it is "NO! BAD DOG!" that is still giving her attention.

Gate the room, or keep the door closed. This is the same concept as potty training a toddler and they wet the bed. They don't realize it and can't help it sometimes.

Just go back to basics! Clean the bed, covers, and mattress THOROUGHLY with a cleanser for pet urine that contains stuff to get rid of enzymes and that area will no longer be favorable for her to pee. Regular soap and water gets rid of the smell, but not enzymes that dogs can smell and those indicate "hey, pee here" so they will continue peeing in the same spot.

EDIT: Also, this will only be a lifelong "problem" if you are not consistant in training her entire life. You need to be consistant and get her on a schedule, that will REALLY help

facebook

Thanks for your heart felt support.

So will vinegar and water... stop her from peeing in the beds?
    Mixing 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water should help remove the smell that makes it attractive for her to go potty there. It's possible that she smells other accidents (if your daughter is only 2 1/2, accidents happen, even with diapers, and Zoe may smell that) and is marking over that. My RB cat had hyperthyroidism, and as she got very old she had quite a few accidents even with her medication. My dogs never go potty in the house, but they did pee over the spot where there was an accident when they got into her room once. Removing the smell may help somewhat but I'd keep a very close watch on her, that way if you catch her you can quickly take her outside. Oh, also make sure not to use any cleaners with ammonia in them on these spots because this smells like urine to dogs and they might feel inclined to mark over it. Good luck!

Hav eyou properly cleaned the area thoroughly? Do you give her ANY attention for peeing on the bed? Even if it is "NO! BAD DOG!" that is still giving her attention.

Gate the room, or keep the door closed. This is the same concept as potty training a toddler and they wet the bed. They don't realize it and can't help it sometimes.

Just go back to basics! Clean the bed, covers, and mattress THOROUGHLY with a cleanser for pet urine that contains stuff to get rid of enzymes and that area will no longer be favorable for her to pee. Regular soap and water gets rid of the smell, but not enzymes that dogs can smell and those indicate "hey, pee here" so they will continue peeing in the same spot.
    Yes I've done all the above as far as cleaning. But when she has peed, I tell her NAUGHTY girl and she goes into a "time out", which is an entry way.

Okay... so what your telling me is...

This is going to be a life long problem?

Why is it that other people have dogs that don't keep peeing all over the place?
    Not to mention... Nipping at one of my daughters.
    Nope! What I said is with consistant training and supervision you should be able to cure the problem...but it will take time and effort!

I have 5 dogs, and the reason they aren't peeing all over the place is because we have to constantly supervise and make sure they are getting enough time outside to go potty...and if we are all busy doing something the dogs are put away in their crates until we are there to supervise. Consistancy and a schedule on your part could help you out a lot!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

One last thing that I feel I need to say...
    This dog isn't JUST a dog...

She's a part of our family... And I love her dearly...

But it's just frustrating and I have to think about my toddler too.

Quote Originally Posted by k9krazee
    Nope! What I said is with consistant training and supervision you should be able to cure the problem...but it will take time and effort!

I have 5 dogs, and the reason they aren't peeing all over the place is because we have to constantly supervise and make sure they are getting enough time outside to go potty...and if we are all busy doing something the dogs are put away in their crates until we are there to supervise. Consistancy and a schedule on your part could help you out a lot!
    TY!

Wow... 5 dogs? You sound like my XSIL. She has 5 dogs too.

Yes I've done all the above as far as cleaning. But when she has peed, I tell her NAUGHTY girl and she goes into a "time out", which is an entry way.
    Try instead, when she potties in the CORRECT place (on a pee pad, outdoors) get REALLY excited and tell her what a good girl she is, give her treats, belly rubs, the works. But when she pees inside, then do not say anything, don't look at her, don't give her any attention.

Also remember it is VERY important to NOT discipline if she does it while you are away and you come home to find the mess. OFtentimes she has forgotten she's done it and she thinks she is now in trouble for greeting you, being happy to see you, coming to you, etc. It is VERY easy to confuse dogs while training, so you must be very specific in y our actions. If you must discipline, you must catch her IN THE ACT, otherwise discipline is pointless for that action.

facebook

I have in home counselors in my home, and check things out. Don't you think that if they smell dog urine in my house that they're going to take my NOT even 3 year old away?????

Obviously you think that your perfect and that you haven't had any problems with dogs peeing in your children's beds over and over again.

So don't judge me.

Sorry that's just how I feel.
    First off I wasn't judging you and I never claimed to be perfect. And no I don't have trouble with my dogs peeing on anything other than outside but if I did I would close the doors, keep the dog in the room with me at all times when they aren't crated or outside, and I would make them work for everything. You just seem like you don't want to deal with it anymore by what you say, and if all of this is making you dislike your dog and have so much anger towards her, this will only confuse her more, and make any issues worse. All I said was that if you don't have the time or energy or whatever to deal with her problems, then maybe it is best to find a new home for her. You are the one who talked about getting rid of her first...not I so I don't know why you think I was judging you. I don't think they would take your child away from you over that if you explained what had happened and the steps you were taking to correct it. I have seen them let much much worse things go by with people I have known so I really don't see why they would do that over a dog accident, as long as you kept it cleaned up. Good luck.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

I have not posted because, frankly, I am not entirely sure of *THE* most effective way of correcting this sort of behaviour. I've always just trained my pooches, or they did this on their own, to go sit by the door when they have to potty. One of my previous Doxies, Willy (Who now lives with my parents), would "talk" to you when he had to potty. He would make these snapping noises and go "arooo roo roo!" (He was part Bassett Hound, we believe). I am not sure if this helped but my point is maybe you could get her to give you some sort of indicator of when she has to potty? If you did a search on Google I am sure you could find a lot of useful information.

I hope that you don't have to give up your beloved pooch.

My dachshund Claire was having problems like this, peeing on my bed and also on the couches. Pretty much what I've done includes, taking her to the vet for tests, covering my bed or any bed she can get on with boxes or something that will keep her off, putting flat boxes on any couches, putting tall pillows into chairs she could get into, keeping doors to certain rooms closed when I'm not watching her, taking her out to potty every couple hours (basically starting housetraining all over again), and keeping her in a crate or confined room when she can't be watched. My vet also gave me some pills, non perscription, they're like an herbal type pill that I give her twice each day. Claire hasn't had an accident on any furniture or my bed in at least two or three months which is great! I know how it feels to lay down in your comfy bed only to put your butt or feet or hand into a pee spot! hehehe Very startling and smelly. lol

I would definately watch her really closely and if you have boxes or gates or something to keep her out of rooms or off the beds then try that. Good luck, I hope you can work something out with her.
    [CENTER]
    *Brandy*