Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Cerebellar hypoplasia (video of Amy)

Quote Originally Posted by mumpkees View Post
    Sadly, the reason it seems 'more common' in the northeast is because Texas and other southern states still have far too many vets, shelter personnel and others that do not recognize a possible CH kitten when they see one.

When confronted with a kitten who has CH many vets diagnose rabies, brain tumor, neurological disorder, toxoplasmosis. The prevailing opinion of these vets is that a kitten will be doomed to a life of misery or that the prognosis is 'poor'. Kittens w/ CH turned into shelters are euth'd without a second thought. Kittens taken to personal vets often suffer the same fate when client is told of the 'poor prognosis and much suffering'.

I heartily second this opinion! When I first found Creamsicle, sick inside one of the outdoor shelters that I had set up, I thought she was dead. She was 6 weeks old and when I shook her, she didn't move. I shook her again and startled her. She struggled to get up and immediately fell over. My vet was out of town and one of his associates took her case and, while I was at work, he called to tell me that he thought she might have rabies and should be PTS. When I asked how it would be done, he said that her veins were too tiny to inject a needle and that he would have to directly inject her heart. I said "Don't touch her! I'm leaving work right now to come and get her." He said that he wouldn't treat her at all but I didn't trust him, so I called back on my cell phone and stayed on the line until I got to the animal hospital. I waited until my vet came back into town, meanwhile taking care of Creamsicle as best I could, keeping her isolated in case she could transmit whatever it was that she had to my other cats. When my vet saw her, he admitted to being baffled but he wasn't one to just write an animal off. He stayed up all night researching her symptoms and he told me that she had a herpes virus that caused the symptoms. With good vet treatment and a lot of love, she now is the happiest cat you'd ever want to see.

At times, she can even be a bully w/my other cats! When she gets excited or scared, she reverts to walking frantically in circles and then, of course, she becomes even more spastic and falls a lot. I can't keep her from getting excited because feeding time gets her all worked up. But I can keep her from getting scared and I make sure that she feels as secure as possible. Yes, sometimes she tries to jump up onto the sofa or chair and she misses and she never lands on her feet. She's taken some lumps, that's for sure. But her determination and her sweet, sweet personality are unmatched by any of my other cats before or since adding her to my Fur Posse.

Her deafness also means that she needs more stimulation than the other cats do and she loves to reach up and touch your face. I couldn't bear the thought of her doing that while she was being PTS. I couldn't have lived w/myself. She's also partially blind; she has no peripheral vision, so I'm thinking that she may have something other than CH but I don't know for sure. I also don't know for sure if it is indeed caused by a herpes virus. What I do know is that she is the most wonderful, loving, determined, spoiled little cat that I've ever had the pleasure of living with. (Well, she isn't so little any more. She's on Prednisolone for a skin allergy and she's chubbed up.) And she came in to my life at a time when I needed to be saved, too. We saved each other. If you have an opportunity to adopt a CH baby, I encourage you to do so. CH babies need more love than the average cat and they give it back to you a hundred times over.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

That is an amazing story about Creamsicle! Thank God you didn't give up on her and that you were both there for each other.

Yes, sometimes she tries to jump up onto the sofa or chair and she misses and she never lands on her feet. She's taken some lumps, that's for sure.
    Stinky is the world's worst jumper. She often 'misses' when she attempts to jump up on stuff but the second try usually gets the job done. Maybe it's all connected! She is very agile though and even though she is an indoor cat, last night she caught a mouse on our enclosed deck! I was sad for the mouse but very impressed with her hunting skills that I had no idea she had! She was very angry with me that I took the mouse away from her. Rightly so I guess!

A bit slow here.. just saw the video!! Our cats can teach us so much!!! Amy is precious and you are so special to care for her!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldgreen View Post
    Hi, I know this thread was started quite some time ago but I was wondering if you knew about this possible connection with the feline herpes virus and CH? Do you know if this means it can develop later on in a cat who has always had the herpes virus? My cat Stinky had herpes when we adopted her at 7 weeks of age. ... This virus is mostly dormant but if she becomes stressed, it comes back and she is sick all over again. Now we give her Lysine when she starts sneezing after a stressful situation. The Lysine keeps the breakout to about 3-4 days.
    I have noticed a few times while petting her that her head does this mild, very slight tremor thing. I pointed it out to my husband and he couldn't see it but I'm really in tune with our cats and I know them so well and I not only saw this once but twice, maybe a month apart and both times were this passed fall. She is 7 years old.
    Do you think CH could show up in a cat at this age and start mildly? I'm concerned.
    p.s. I will of course look into this and get as much info as I can but I found your thread and thought I'd ask.
    Hi Emeraldgreen, I just saw your question now. I have a CH boy named Elmer who is going on 2 years old now. I don't know the answer on whether it could start to develop later in life in a cat with herpes, though I tend to doubt it.

If Stinky continues to show these symptoms, I'd suggest you have your vet check her out. Whatever it is, it should probably be looked into.

Best wishes!

Pat and Elmer
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Hi Emeraldgreen, I just saw your question now. I have a CH boy named Elmer who is going on 2 years old now. I don't know the answer on whether it could start to develop later in life in a cat with herpes, though I tend to doubt it.

If Stinky continues to show these symptoms, I'd suggest you have your vet check her out. Whatever it is, it should probably be looked into.

Best wishes!

Pat and Elmer
    Hi, thanks for your post. I will definitely keep an eye on her and see if it happens again. If so, I should take her to the vet.

my CH Baby

Hi there! I was just searching for info on the interntet about the ch kitties and thank goodness I found this post! I have a 7 month old female ch kitten Tiki. Shes my little full of energy furball and I love her so much, you can never be in a bad mood when shes around. Unfortuanatly she recently has started seizing... it started out with one and I automatically rushed her in to the vet and they said to keep track of any more episodes, they said it was most likely epilepsy. So it was going well for about a month and then she siezed again, but its gradually becoming more offten. Ive descused it with the vet and they can put her on medication but it can b hard on her in the long run. I sometimes wonder if my home is the best place for my baby, I have a full time job and im going to school, she does have other kittty playmates but im worried that im not there for her when shes siezing. I want the best for her but i dont know if i know what is best for her, ya know I dont want to be selfish about it and not want to give her up because even though it would break my heart I have to do whats right for her... any opinions on if she should be in a household with a more full time family?..

Quote Originally Posted by Emyjane View Post
    Hi there! I was just searching for info on the interntet about the ch kitties and thank goodness I found this post! I have a 7 month old female ch kitten Tiki. Shes my little full of energy furball and I love her so much, you can never be in a bad mood when shes around. Unfortuanatly she recently has started seizing... it started out with one and I automatically rushed her in to the vet and they said to keep track of any more episodes, they said it was most likely epilepsy. So it was going well for about a month and then she siezed again, but its gradually becoming more offten. Ive descused it with the vet and they can put her on medication but it can b hard on her in the long run. I sometimes wonder if my home is the best place for my baby, I have a full time job and im going to school, she does have other kittty playmates but im worried that im not there for her when shes siezing. I want the best for her but i dont know if i know what is best for her, ya know I dont want to be selfish about it and not want to give her up because even though it would break my heart I have to do whats right for her... any opinions on if she should be in a household with a more full time family?..
    Welcome to Pet Talk! I have a CH baby, Creamsicle, and I know what you mean about how lovable your kitty is. Cgirl is a magical cat. She doesn't have seizures but I did have a peke-a-poo that did and she was on a low dose of Phenobarbitol and she lived to be 18 1/2. Of course, cats and dogs are different but I sure would give it a try before I rehomed her. CH babies are so special and I'm sure your kitty just loves you to pieces and wouldn't want to be separated from you and her fursibs. It's wonderful that you're putting her needs ahead of your own; that's a good cat parent but give the meds a whirl and see how she does. Good luck and please keep us posted.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Hi Emyjane and welcome to PT!

Amy don't have seizures so I don't know how to advise you on that.... I CAN tell you this. Stress greatly effects Amy, especially when she has to leave the house and be taken to the vet or somewhere.. I could just imagine how badly she would stress if I had to re home her.

I suggest you consider these factors when deciding what to do... Re homing her will stress her and you can not guarantee that the home you send her to will keep her if she is to much trouble and they could throw her out in the streets or just not give her any medicine for the seizures anyway. (Those would be my biggest fears)

Now, I did take Amy in for steroid shots from time to time when her CH would get really bad and she looked miserable She couldn't get them to often because they too, were not good for her and could cause her trouble later in life. However, I felt I had to take that chance to give her any quality of life at the time over what might happen later. It may give her a shorter life by having given her that but the quality to me is more important than quanity.

All I want is for her to feel good, be healthy and mainly to be HAPPY.

NOW let me address the problem of your being gone a lot.. I have 4 babies, 3 are on medication and I work on a boat where I am gone for 28 days at a time. My daughter comes over and gives them their medications and does the boxes and stuff..

She (your baby) would be perfectly happy at HOME alone over being in totally new surroundings with people she don't know and it is OK that you are not there to spend tons of time with her. It is workable and doable.. I do it all the time.. (and with my vets recommendation that I do it!)

These are my thought on it and I welcome anyone elses thoughts to go with mine, even if you disagree..
    Last edited by Laura's Babies; 02-08-2010 at 08:20 PM.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I have a little CH guy (Farley) who is about 10 months old. While he doesn't have seizures his CH is very pronounced and becomes even worse if he is stressed. I am usually gone for about 10-11 hours every day (with work and commute), so my guys spend a lot of time at home with each other. I think he would miss they other members of the furry paw gang if I were to re-home him.

But I would definitely consider the medications for the seizures...

Good luck

Cheryl

Hi Emyjane!! Welcome here!!
    My Inka has CH too! But no seizures at all! Are you very sure that your cat has CH, and not another illness?

I wish you all the luck!!

My Inka is such a sweetheart, we all love her dearly
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Oh, I forgot to tell you also, my brother had two cats that had seizures and he medicated them with no ill effects that he ever saw, they were just normal cats.. But he had to move across country and was afraid how the move would effect them so he did rehome his.. They both went to the same home so they had each other and they went to a home where they already knew the human that took them.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!